Currently available firmware versions in DJI Assistant

Yep the reason I leave mine off, and turn on as needed to do other things when not flying. I ts not difficult.

Its pretty amazing the lengths that owners must go thru just to be able to fly their drones just because a company wants to change the rules mid-game.
I know I didn't buy my ipad mini just to fly my drone and not be connected to the interweb via wifi.
DJI once was a hero but quickly becoming a zero.
AMEN

I think they removed the ability to roll back firmware. Mine is only showing the latest one now.
Why would they remove the previous working-without-issues version as a downgrade option when the DJI Help Desk themselves has openly admitted that the most recent release has tons of issues and they actually recommended to folks to downgrade until they fix the latest firmware issues?

Reactions: lickitysplit11111
Yep the reason I leave mine off, and turn on as needed to do other things when not flying. I ts not difficult.

And forget just ONE TIME and it automatically updates and ruins your day...you sir or a genius...lol

So while DJI is acting like a dog chasing its tail its customer have to suffer.
No matter what FW is put out there's going to be someone out there looking to hack it,why ? , because its there..

The people that are saying this is in response to the firmware hacks have no proof to back that statement up and are just speculating.

It’s very possible they removed them like every other company stops letting people go back to previous versions.

yep, it's just speculation but the removal came without any warning whilst DJI were still telling people that if they didn't like the latest version of the software they could roll back. There was no mention of a time limit on this and the day before there were three or four different versions of firmware you could choose from.

So, yep, it's very possible they removed them for this reason but you'll agree it seems odd (considering the above) won't you?

yep, it's just speculation but the removal came without any warning whilst DJI were still telling people that if they didn't like the latest version of the software they could roll back. There was no mention of a time limit on this and the day before there were three or four different versions of firmware you could choose from.

So, yep, it's very possible they removed them for this reason but you'll agree it seems odd (considering the above) won't you?

It could but it’s pure speculation and that doesn’t really solve anyone’s issue and just puts out misinformation.

No one really knows why they did it and I doubt we ever do. They don’t seem to be the best at communication.

Reactions: KingDad1985
It could but it’s pure speculation and that doesn’t really solve anyone’s issue and just puts out misinformation.

No one really knows why they did it and I doubt we ever do. They don’t seem to be the best at communication.

as you say, nobody knows so......it may or may not be misinformation so you are just speculating as well :D

People were asking questions, expressing opinions and of course speculating - isn't that how discussions work?

welcome to reality.... and yes i don't plan to update for a long time.. i turn off my WiFi on my iPad so far no issues..
I'm the same way, never update unless there's a compelling reason, and it's been fully vetted. But reality will set in the first time you send your craft in for warranty repair. DJI will upgrade the firmware to the latest version, or the craft will be replaced with the latest firmware. You basically lose any warranty coverage if you want to keep old firmware in the craft. To keep the same firmware you'd have to have an independent repair shop do the repair work, with instructions to NOT TOUCH the firmware, and you'd pay them for a repair that should be free, if in warranty. Really sucks.

New firmware/app really messed up smart RTH. You can't cancel out of RTH anymore, it comes back every 10 seconds after you press cancel. This NAG is as bad as the false wind warnings that pop up every 10 seconds. Totally distracting and unnecessary IMO. DJI is going downhill fast, making us conform to their world, like a communist society. Oh yeah, forgot. Hmm. Where's 3DR when you need them? Sad day.

UPDATE: I got my P4P back Thursday, July 6th from DJI Cerritos, in for warranty repair. They replaced the gimbal/camera to fix a gimbal vibration when the craft leaned left about 20 degrees. I was pleasantly surprised when they DIDN'T update my craft firmware, however they did update my RC firmware, which is kinda strange. I really shouldn't have sent the RC in, but I did because the instructions indicated I needed to. I'm not sure what the new RC firmware does yet. I have more testing to do on the auto-RTH to see if it's affected.

They also sent me a new set of props. That was nice of them.

So my statement above isn't always true. I guess DJI doesn't ALWAYS update craft firmware for warranty repairs, as I expected. I was truly amazed they didn't just swap out the craft for a new craft, which is what happened on the previous 3 warranty repair returns I've sent in. No refurb, they sent me a new craft, protection stickers installed, pristine and unblemished.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fokker D.VII
I'm the same way, never update unless there's a compelling reason, and it's been fully vetted. But reality will set in the first time you send your craft in for warranty repair. DJI will upgrade the firmware to the latest version, or the craft will be replaced with the latest firmware. You basically lose any warranty coverage if you want to keep old firmware in the craft. To keep the same firmware you'd have to have an independent repair shop do the repair work, with instructions to NOT TOUCH the firmware, and you'd pay them for a repair that should be free, if in warranty. Really sucks.

New firmware/app really messed up smart RTH. You can't cancel out of RTH anymore, it comes back every 10 seconds after you press cancel. This NAG is as bad as the false wind warnings that pop up every 10 seconds. Totally distracting and unnecessary IMO. DJI is going downhill fast, making us conform to their world, like a communist society. Oh yeah, forgot. Hmm. Where's 3DR when you need them? Sad day.

if you are flying commercially are you expected/bound to remain up to date with firmware as part of your licence? In the UK you may find you are flying without insurance if you are on old firmware.

if you are flying commercially are you expected/bound to remain up to date with firmware as part of your licence? In the UK you may find you are flying without insurance if you are on old firmware.
Any clue or rumors as to WHEN they will release a "fixed" version of the last debacle?

Commercial pilots in the U.S. are required to inspect their craft for integrity and safety, which could mean avoiding DJI firmware upgrades, given their track record. Nothing dictates 107 operators having the latest software/firmware. I'm pretty sure insurance companies don't dictate that either, as I have not heard anything to that effect.

Reactions: andy_k
I don't know - was that your answer to my question? :D
Andy - I don't fly my drone for commercial reasons. I have registered it with the FAA (before that requirement was lifted). I know the rules for max altitude in the area. I fly and set the maximum altitude to not exceed those values. I don't fly in areas that don't allow drones without special permission or not at all. So, I basically have the laws covered WITHOUT any forcable-control on DJI's part with software attempts to control settings. I plan to be VERY selective on if and when I upgrade again ... especially after DJI's latest release debacle. I will let the masses "road test" it well so the real story is known by all before a decision is made to upgrade.

Andy - I don't fly my drone for commercial reasons. I have registered it with the FAA (before that requirement was lifted). I know the rules for max altitude in the area. I fly and set the maximum altitude to not exceed those values. I don't fly in areas that don't allow drones without special permission or not at all. So, I basically have the laws covered WITHOUT any forcable-control on DJI's part with software attempts to control settings. I plan to be VERY selective on if and when I upgrade again ... especially after DJI's latest release debacle. I will let the masses "road test" it well so the real story is known by all before a decision is made to upgrade.
+1 I believe this is the future for drones because of some folks who would not follow some rules and common sense we all suffer. I haven't updated either of my drones. I'm able to ignore the updates and because of this forum was able to disable my devices for auto updates which I'm glad I did because my house is in a class D airspace. I'm sure that if I updated this would become a NFZ.
I've read several post and understand the frustration regarding this issue. I hope that this is something that the dev's are working on. This to me seems to be the biggest issue at the moment because we are counting on this info to be accurate and without accuracy this becomes a faulty system. If the geo fencing becomes reliable I would not have a problem with it, because its how I operate now. DJI please give us accurate information regarding NFZ's.

yet it seems like DJI have pretty much admitted the reason for removing earlier versions of the firmware

Though DJI says its no-fly zones are voluntary guidelines that can be circumvented with approval from the company, pilots see them as an infringement of their ownership rights. The company removed versions of its firmware that are vulnerable to hacking from its servers, and if DJI drones that already had vulnerable firmware installed connected to the internet, the drones would auto-update to a less vulnerable version of the software.

UPDATE: I got my P4P back Thursday, July 6th from DJI Cerritos, in for warranty repair. They replaced the gimbal/camera to fix a gimbal vibration when the craft leaned left about 20 degrees. I was pleasantly surprised when they DIDN'T update my craft firmware, however they did update my RC firmware, which is kinda strange. I really shouldn't have sent the RC in, but I did because the instructions indicated I needed to. I'm not sure what the new RC firmware does yet. I have more testing to do on the auto-RTH to see if it's affected.

They also sent me a new set of props. That was nice of them.

So my statement above isn't always true. I guess DJI doesn't ALWAYS update craft firmware for warranty repairs, as I expected. I was truly amazed they didn't just swap out the craft for a new craft, which is what happened on the previous 3 warranty repair returns I've sent in. No refurb, they sent me a new craft, protection stickers installed, pristine and unblemished.
I'm currently waiting for my P4P from cerritos for stress crack repair. I only sent in the aircraft in the Styrofoam case because chat told me to. You give me hope I will get MY bird back. Here is where I'm at
9277fe4aa2ac1c1c0dd1ced86a4bda69.jpg

I'm currently waiting for my P4P from cerritos for stress crack repair. I only sent in the aircraft in the Styrofoam case because chat told me to. You give me hope I will get MY bird back. Here is where I'm at
9277fe4aa2ac1c1c0dd1ced86a4bda69.jpg
Well, sorry to disclose, but changing a shell is a lot of work. I would expect them to exchange your craft because of the time it takes to change a body shell. That's what DJI did with me on my P4 when it was barely in warranty at 362 days old. I had a crack develop around the battery compartment and they sent me a new craft, pristine with new craft stickers and serial number.

My recent return was for a gimbal vibration in my P4P. The gimbal with camera is easy to swap, hence they swap out the camera/gimbal and sent my original craft back. I was lucky.

Might want to be careful with a firmware change today. Firmware changes log you out. Appears that the P4P+ authentication servers may be down. I logged out to check the status as the same issue happened last weekend. Now I can't get back in. Good thing I wasn't planning to fly today.

Well, sorry to disclose, but changing a shell is a lot of work. I would expect them to exchange your craft because of the time it takes to change a body shell. That's what DJI did with me on my P4 when it was barely in warranty at 362 days old. I had a crack develop around the battery compartment and they sent me a new craft, pristine with new craft stickers and serial number.

My recent return was for a gimbal vibration in my P4P. The gimbal with camera is easy to swap, hence they swap out the camera/gimbal and sent my original craft back. I was lucky.
Would it make a difference if they are only changing the "Middle Frame" ?
c25d930ad08c6f4f6520cb3061928a8c.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94