CSC Questiom

Reaction score
This is going to sound like a dumb question especially since it is called a "Combination" stick command but I know CSC's are the #1 reason for crashes so I figured I would ask -

After landing, holding down the left stick for 3 seconds turns off the motors - My question is, if I am descending quickly do I need to worry about the left stick cutting off the motors or does that only happen when its already on the ground?

It only happens if the phantom is no longer descending.

Reactions: Steve J Miller
This is going to sound like a dumb question especially since it is called a "Combination" stick command but I know CSC's are the #1 reason for crashes so I figured I would ask -

After landing, holding down the left stick for 3 seconds turns off the motors - My question is, if I am descending quickly do I need to worry about the left stick cutting off the motors or does that only happen when its already on the ground?
drone will never shut off unless you hold both sticks down!!!... Make sure you let left stick go before hitting ground... If it's not in RTH IT WON'T STOP FALLING UNTIL YOU LET GO!!! NEVER EVER HOLD BOTH STOCKS DOWN OR DRONE CUTS OFF

drone will never shut off unless you hold both sticks down!!!... Make sure you let left stick go before hitting ground... If it's not in RTH IT WON'T STOP FALLING UNTIL YOU LET GO!!! NEVER EVER HOLD BOTH STOCKS DOWN OR DRONE CUTS OFF
I'm not sure what you're saying there ... it's pretty confusing.
Left stick down is the normal method for descending and when you have landed, it's the best way to shut down the motors without tipping the Phantom.
The manual is pretty clear on CSC ... it's not both sticks down
i-ZhRNmjb.jpg

Reactions: ShelbyPoker
I'm not sure what you're saying there ... it's pretty confusing.
Left stick down is the normal method for descending and when you have landed, it's the best way to shut down the motors without tipping the Phantom.
The manual is pretty clear on CSC ... it's not both sticks down
i-ZhRNmjb.jpg
Exactly, never pull both sticks back, drone will fall out the sky!!!... Just saying yes left stick is descent but if you don't let go close to the ground you'll crash into the ground

Exactly, never pull both sticks back, drone will fall out the sky!!!... Just saying yes left stick is descent but if you don't let go close to the ground you'll crash into the ground
How do you get it on the ground then???

Reactions: Meta4
You know if you don't let it down slowly once close to the ground it will continue at rapid descent and crash into the ground!!!... You must land it as if GPS return home lands it!!!
You said one must let go before it gets to the ground:

Private dancer said:

You said one must let go before it gets to the ground:

Private dancer said:
Here's what I do!!! I descent down at fast speed, get maybe 15 feet from the ground and let the left stick go tho drop it from crashing, then I let it down slow to the ground with the left stick!!! When you let go, it stops there and hovers!!! Keep descending at that speed, after 10 feet too ground, too late, brakes don't work that fast!!! Crash!!!...

Here's what I do!!! I descent down at fast speed, get maybe 15 feet from the ground and let the left stick go tho drop it from crashing, then I let it down slow to the ground with the left stick!!! When you let go, it stops there and hovers!!! Keep descending at that speed, after 10 feet too ground, too late, brakes don't work that fast!!! Crash!!!...
That explains why I keep on having to replace my landing gear. Who'd have thunk it?:rolleyes:

:p

Reactions: dirkclod

The second point was clarified above in the thread, yes, it's not a good idea to touch down at the max descent rate (2m/s in the current firmware). Not only is it really hard on the bird (pretty much a crash), but you'd probably experience some VRS (Vortex Ring State aka descent with power aka wobble of death) close to the ground which will likely cause a worse crash. Good to ease off early enough to avoid VRS and/or a hard landing.

But the first point is not accurate. Pulling both sticks down (back) will not kill motors or cause the drone to fall out of the sky or necessarily cause a crash. True, both sticks straight down will result in the drone pitching backwards at perhaps 30 mph while descending 2m/s, which is a bit sketchy but if the drone is 500 ft up it could be a maneuver that works for a bit.

However it's not CSC (Combination Stick Command), which has both sticks not just down but either both inward or both outward (and I think the pattern has to match the way it was started for that flight?). Now granted pulling both sticks down is that much closer to the CSC pattern, but it would still require a bit of effort to pull both inward or outward as well. Personally I've never done an accidental CSC in all the hours I've flown my Phantom 3A, even though I've done some "interesting" and at times hectic maneuvers with the sticks all over the place. :)

Sorry, not trying to be nitpicky, just wanted to make sure we're being clear.

The second point was clarified above in the thread, yes, it's not a good idea to touch down at the max descent rate (2m/s in the current firmware). Not only is it really hard on the bird (pretty much a crash), but you'd probably experience some VRS (Vortex Ring State aka descent with power aka wobble of death) close to the ground which will likely cause a worse crash. Good to ease off early enough to avoid VRS and/or a hard landing.

But the first point is not accurate. Pulling both sticks down (back) will not kill motors or cause the drone to fall out of the sky or necessarily cause a crash. True, both sticks straight down will result in the drone pitching backwards at perhaps 30 mph while descending 2m/s, which is a bit sketchy but if the drone is 500 ft up it could be a maneuver that works for a bit.

However it's not CSC (Combination Stick Command), which has both sticks not just down but either both inward or both outward (and I think the pattern has to match the way it was started for that flight?). Now granted pulling both sticks down is that much closer to the CSC pattern, but it would still require a bit of effort to pull both inward or outward as well. Personally I've never done an accidental CSC in all the hours I've flown my Phantom 3A, even though I've done some "interesting" and at times hectic maneuvers with the sticks all over the place. :)

Sorry, not trying to be nitpicky, just wanted to make sure we're being clear.

VRS won't occur in Ground Effect so it's not a worry when descending that getting closer to the ground will exacerbate the situation it will actually improve the situation.

VRS won't occur in Ground Effect so it's not a worry when descending that getting closer to the ground will exacerbate the situation it will actually improve the situation.

True, VRS doesn't get worse closer to the ground, and ground effect will create a cushion of air to help slow the descent.

But ground effect for a Phantom won't kick in until it's really close to the ground. I don't recall the formula but I believe ground effect kicks in within something like the diameter of the rotor, which for a Phantom is only 6 inches. So, we'll still be subject to VRS even a couple of feet off the ground, close enough that we can easily run out of room to react.

But I was also conflating VRS with close-to-ground turbulence. I don't know what it's called, but the prop wash close to the ground seems to make my Phantom unpredictably drift laterally. If I'm coming in fast, that drift can be the difference between landing where I want vs. on top of clump of grass that makes it tip over.

Anyway, this is getting geeky, I think we can probably agree that a landing at full down throttle is usually a bad idea. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic