Crooked motor?

Reaction score
I was doing some basic maintenance this morning when I noticed one of my motors did not look quite right. I have not crashed and the only thing I have done is installed blade guards. Here are two photos. Can you see what I do?
1529766299194.jpg
1529766326943.jpg

I was doing some basic maintenance this morning when I noticed one of my motors did not look quite right. I have not crashed and the only thing I have done is installed blade guards. Here are two photos. Can you see what I do?View attachment 100395View attachment 100396
Yep - as stated above, my P3P motors have a tilt as well but I have to say that the one in the photo does appear to be tilted a bit more than usual. I guess that it's more than the other 3 or possibly you wouldn't be asking about it. As suggested, check that the motor is seated correctly and not loose. If it wasn't like that before you fitted the guards then it must be as a result of something you have done or some defect in the prop guards you fitted. Please be careful with the length of the screws you use both with and without prop-guards, btw.... Too long and they will penetrate and ruin the motor windings and thus the motor.

For those who don't already know, the slight motor tilt is to try to avoid something called Vortex Ring State (VRS). You can find some information about VRS here: Vortex Ring State (The Wobble of Death) | Quadcopter Flight School

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Its not only VRS ... but also to give differential to assist the Flight Controller to get you moving forward and reduce pitch etc. The tilt has a bias for this.

If the motors were fitted level as aerobatic / flip quads are - then the P3 would have to pitch more in forward flight than it does .... this in turn means more camera correction by gimbal axis.

Simple really .....

nigel

The Phantom’s rotors are tilted inward or toward center equally negating tilt reduction in any one direction.
This provides stability analogous to dihedral on a fixed wing.
It would only provide forward assist or tilt reduction if ALL 4 motors were tilted in the direction of the preferred direction of travel.
Racing quads use this common motor tilt for the tilt reduction described.

Last edited:
When I first got my P3P, I noticed this too. Later I wondered how the drone could rotate about its centre while remaining horizontal and stationary, and realised the two are linked. The tilt provides the drone with rotational ability.

Rotation about the Yaw axis is achieved by manipulating torque differential.
The motor tilt may improve Yaw response but is not the source of rotational forces.

Note: P1 & 2s did not have this feature.

Last edited:
Another way to visualize the effect of tilting the motors towards the center is to compare this to the angling of a stool’s legs outwards.

This expands the stance by increasing the distance between the legs where they sit on the floor.

Thus the thrust of the motors is directed down and out increasing the ‘stance’ of the thrust increasing stability especially in hover or descent.

Reactions: DKG13CC
On my P4P+....The CCW spinning motors tilt to the left while looking
from the outside in to the center. The CW spinning motors are titled to
the right.This I believe is to help counteract the spinning torque of the
props.
For counteracting Vortex Rig State when descending the motor would
be tilted towards the center of the craft to have the thrust line facing
down and slightly outwards for added stability.
Please correct me if I'm off...:)

Last edited:
No benefit with regards to torque reduction. Strictly for stability analogous to dihedral in fixed wing aircraft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helen Y West