Critical low voltage but no power cables around

Reaction score
I put my p3 4K up for 1 minute at hawks nest in caravan park and the drone said critical low voltage and landed, why would it do this when I still had about 50% battery, the only time it's ever done this was when it was close to power lines, cheers Lee

I put my p3 4K up for 1 minute at hawks nest in caravan park and the drone said critical low voltage and landed, why would it do this when I still had about 50% battery, the only time it's ever done this was when it was close to power lines
It probably did it because the battery voltage was critically low.
And the low voltage warning has nothing to do with power cables nearby.
That you say you flew for 1 minute and the % indicator showed 50% is a clue.
The manual says only fly with a fully charged battery - and for good reason.
The % indicator does not show the voltage the battery is delivering and a battery that has sat around discharging to an indicated 50% is going to have very low voltage.
There have been lots of my-phantom-fell-from-the-sky stories from people that took off with batteries that had partially discharged.

Go to https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.

Yeah right there never new that cheers it's on charge I'll try again once fully charged, thanks again

Now my controller won't charge up but the battery did
The controller takes a pretty long time to charge under normal circumstances. Several hours for sure. How long are you giving it and what is the power output of your charger? I'd recommend a 2.0 Amp Charger.

The controller takes a pretty long time to charge under normal circumstances. Several hours for sure. How long are you giving it and what is the power output of your charger? I'd recommend a 2.0 Amp Charger.
Hi there it's the standard charger that came with the phantom from brand new, this has never happened before, it's plugged in and no lights are coming up at all

Hi there it's the standard charger that came with the phantom from brand new, this has never happened before, it's plugged in and no lights are coming up at all
I just plugged batteries back into charger and battery isn't charging anymore either, looks like the charger has **** itself, have you heard of this

I just plugged batteries back into charger and battery isn't charging anymore either, looks like the charger has **** itself, have you heard of this

To my knowledge, the P3S does not come with a Charger for the controller. It comes with a MicroUSB cable for charging, but you need a 3rd party USB Charger to charge it, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say you used the charger that came with it.

As for the batteries... they are not full are they? The lights won't come on the batteries when the charger is plugged in if the battery is full. When you push the button on the battery, do all the lights light up?

Oh, wait a minute.. I just realized, you have a P3 4K. I can't help you there. I have a P3S. I wish I could help.

DJI actually advise NOT to charge Controller and battery at same time of the combined charger.

One of the old items with ESC .... even the P3 has ESC's .... was if you started of with partial discharged LiPo - the ESC would interpret that voltage as 'full' and then calculate low voltage accordingly .... you can imagine the consequences ! It is still common when set to NiXx battery's to be % used for blow voltage. Luckily most ESC's today now have specific voltage settings for low voltage.
Add in that DJI have software programming that takes the voltage reading and interprets level. I'm not sure how they set it up - but having gone through the 'bad' years of ESC's - I am wary of trusting the reported levels .... yes I will fly with partial battery but only quick up - point - shoot - down jobs. For any flight even short - its full charge.

Bear in mind that as the LiPo discharges - the rate of voltage reduction increases .... its because the watts needed to maintain flight is xx .... as the voltage reduces - the amps increase to keep the watts same. At 50% battery the difference can be significantly different and pretty quick down to 30% or so.

Nigel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers