Critical battery-landing mode- rth? Yes/no?

Reaction score
This pertains to, if in your settings you select "control signal lost" -(RTH)- function enabled... I want to know for a fact or not that when a phantom 3 is in "critical battery- landing mode" and you loose signal completely with the rc to the ac will the phantom 3 STILL try to return home, or will it just STAY where it's at and continue to LAND?

I would have to assume that when the aircraft is in critical battery- landing mode... That it will land no matter what.. Whether it has a signal from the rc or not.. But I want to know for sure..

I ask this because I do a lot of long range flying.. And the other day I went 40k feet straight out but because of the cold weather (temperature dropped to mid 30s Fahrenheit) I only got barley 25min of flight instead of my usual 27-28 min flight time (battery mod, antenna mod) And because of this I ended up being forced to land 12k feet short of my home point.. The battery was critical and the quad was in -landing mode. I was able to successfully bring the quad safely down at an old baseball diamond, I got it down roughly to 90 feet for a landing when I lost signal completely.. Due to interference-trees/buildings.. Luckily the quad did not try to return home as it was programmed to in my settings, but instead it just continued to land itself exactly where I was attempting to land it manually before I lost signal.

All was good, and after a 10 min drive to the location, there she was sitting pretty and unscaved right in the middle of the baseball diamond where I had intended it to be.

In this case, critical battery-landing mode DID override the rth when signal was lost.. But will this happen Everytime?

I basically just want to make sure that I didn't just get lucky.. I want to be sure so that if this ever happens again, that I can depend on the quad reacting the same way Everytime if in critical battery and I can find a safe landing zone and land it with out issues.

I was going to test this out myself yesterday on my day off but the weather was horrible.. Basically what I was gonna do was start the quad up in one location, let it get a good home lock.. Then fly it out 100 feet or so in one direction and let it hover until critical battery. Then turn off my controller and see if the quad continues to land right where it's at.. Or if it try's to fly 100 feet back to its home point with a critical battery.

Im curious if anyone has tried this.. And of the ppl who have been in critical battery when still far from home, what did your quad do? Did it return, or did it land where it was?

Iv Google searched and have found some ppl say it has tried to return, yet some ppl say it had landed right where it was.

The answer I want is that it lands right where it's at, because for me, if I'm out that far away with a critical batt, and I try to land it safely, and the quad tries to rth, could end up in a tree, a road, or worse.

Some ppl may say, well why not just choose "hover" or "landing" instead of rth in your settings for control signal lost.. And the answer is, I still want it to rth if I DO have enough batt power. Also it's nice cuz when you loose signal, the quad will come back into your signal range and you can then re-gain control .. So this is why I like "rth" selected on "control signal lost"...But what I don't want is it to try to come home on a critical battery when I can easily and Safely land it myself where it's at.

Here is my flight of the other day, and where I was forced to land it.

fcf12ade7a9514a0b0171fe039f324c0.jpg
9b68a619fc614ecece54cdbec04d2a43.jpg
0d383524471c096d8a4039ae1f5d4cc0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the battery reaches the critically low level, the Phantom will always automatically land at its current location. Assuming the remote controller is still connected at that time, the best you could do is move the throttle to the full up position to slow the landing and/or steer the Phantom to the best possible landing site. Keep in mind that throttling up for too long will eventually force the battery to shut off mid-flight. That'll happen when the first battery cell reaches 3.0V.

This pertains to, if in your settings you select "control signal lost" -(RTH)- function enabled... I want to know for a fact or not that when a phantom 3 is in "critical battery- landing mode" and you loose signal completely with the rc to the ac will the phantom 3 STILL try to return home, or will it just STAY where it's at and continue to LAND?

I would have to assume that when the aircraft is in critical battery- landing mode... That it will land no matter what.. Whether it has a signal from the rc or not.. But I want to know for sure..

I ask this because I do a lot of long range flying.. And the other day I went 40k feet straight out but because of the cold weather (temperature dropped to mid 30s Fahrenheit) I only got barley 25min of flight instead of my usual 27-28 min flight time (battery mod, antenna mod) And because of this I ended up being forced to land 12k feet short of my home point.. The battery was critical and the quad was in -landing mode. I was able to successfully bring the quad safely down at an old baseball diamond, I got it down roughly to 90 feet for a landing when I lost signal completely.. Due to interference-trees/buildings.. Luckily the quad did not try to return home as it was programmed to in my settings, but instead it just continued to land itself exactly where I was attempting to land it manually before I lost signal.

All was good, and after a 10 min drive to the location, there she was sitting pretty and unscaved right in the middle of the baseball diamond where I had intended it to be.

In this case, critical battery-landing mode DID override the rth when signal was lost.. But will this happen Everytime?

I basically just want to make sure that I didn't just get lucky.. I want to be sure so that if this ever happens again, that I can depend on the quad reacting the same way Everytime if in critical battery and I can find a safe landing zone and land it with out issues.

I was going to test this out myself yesterday on my day off but the weather was horrible.. Basically what I was gonna do was start the quad up in one location, let it get a good home lock.. Then fly it out 100 feet or so in one direction and let it hover until critical battery. Then turn off my controller and see if the quad continues to land right where it's at.. Or if it try's to fly 100 feet back to its home point with a critical battery.

Im curious if anyone has tried this.. And of the ppl who have been in critical battery when still far from home, what did your quad do? Did it return, or did it land where it was?

Iv Google searched and have found some ppl say it has tried to return, yet some ppl say it had landed right where it was.

The answer I want is that it lands right where it's at, because for me, if I'm out that far away with a critical batt, and I try to land it safely, and the quad tries to rth, could end up in a tree, a road, or worse.

Some ppl may say, well why not just choose "hover" or "landing" instead of rth in your settings for control signal lost.. And the answer is, I still want it to rth if I DO have enough batt power. Also it's nice cuz when you loose signal, the quad will come back into your signal range and you can then re-gain control .. So this is why I like "rth" selected on "control signal lost"...But what I don't want is it to try to come home on a critical battery when I can easily and Safely land it myself where it's at.

Here is my flight of the other day, and where I was forced to land it.

fcf12ade7a9514a0b0171fe039f324c0.jpg
9b68a619fc614ecece54cdbec04d2a43.jpg
0d383524471c096d8a4039ae1f5d4cc0.jpg

It actually tries to fly back to China where it was made. It will then ask it's makers why they sent it to Biff..... ("He make me fly tooh fah").

Reactions: NRJ
LAND would then be the best choice... ONLY if you could see what was under/around it. (Water, Roof, section-8 housing would not be a good LZ)

Reactions: NoBiffBetter
It actually tries to fly back to China where it was made. It will then ask it's makers why they sent it to Biff..... ("He make me fly tooh fah").
Wow. If I had a story about a Goat Rodeo, I think I would just stay quiet. Nope friend, even though you have two cups in the tank, I think you can still make it back to Ohio. Once your battery is dead, all bets are off. You can tell a dead body to do anything you want, they may not cooperate. I assume that might be a valid concern if you can set your low batt landing to say, 50 or 60 percent. Like the fuel gauge in the boat, Full, Half, Empty, and Swim.

Up to you. RTH can be changed in the Go App settings. Look at my pic.

1b6d58cfbc662aae58a43b9a80e938f9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I think you missed why I asked the question.. Go back and read the rest of the post to see why

I already posted that I know I can change the settings.. But also listed why I need or want it on rth..

Unfortunately, that setting is ignored when the battery is critically low.

I know that I can keep it flying still by holding up.. But the point is, if it's not gonna back it back, it's not gonna back it back... Holding up will only help me fly another 1k feet if not less and it will crash.. This is why I ask .. Cuz when I try to land it from a good distance away.. Anything under 50-100 feet I am going to loose complete signal with the ac from the Rc.. In this case.. I want to make sure that the quad will continue to land where I had already started to land it.. And not try to climb and return to home..

I guess it's kinda hard to explain what I'm trying to ask.

To know what "Your baby" would do, fly it out past 200ft from H. (Hover over open area) Set drone to "Land if lost signal". Turn controller off. Wait, (Biting nails)............................................................................................................................................. When battery goes critical it should land over that spot.

I guess the best way for me to find out is just to try it again and see.. Like I said from maybe 100 feet out.. Let it get to critical battery- landing mode.. Then turn off my controller... Are you saying msinger, that if it looses signal it will rth no Matter what? Cuz that wasn't the case the other day when this happend to me.. And I guess that's why I'm asking, to make sure it will always do what it did.. Even with no signal from the controller.. And just LAND.

Thanks for the responses thus far guys

Wow. If I had a story about a Goat Rodeo, I think I would just stay quiet. Nope friend, even though you have two cups in the tank, I think you can still make it back to Ohio. Once your battery is dead, all bets are off. You can tell a dead body to do anything you want, they may not cooperate. I assume that might be a valid concern if you can set your low batt landing to say, 50 or 60 percent. Like the fuel gauge in the boat, Full, Half, Empty, and Swim.

Idk what this means... And you clearly didn't understand what I was asking.

I want to make sure that the quad will continue to land where I had already started to land it.. And not try to climb and return to home.
Please re-read post #2 above. I explained what will happen.

Reactions: CFoxtrot and Oso
Unfortunately, that setting is ignored when the battery is critically low.

Right.. So your saying no matter what.. Whether the controller signal is lost to the air craft or not.. If the battery is critical, the quad try to autoland No matter what.. Correct?

If I have this right then that's all I was trying to figure out. And thankyou

That's correct.

Right.. So your saying no matter what.. Whether the controller signal is lost to the air craft or not.. If the battery is critical, the quad try to autoland No matter what.. Correct?

If I have this right then that's all I was trying to figure out. And thankyou

EDIT: and it's not unfortunate for my situation.. This is what I WANT to happen.. This is the safest thing TO happen.. Cuz at the point of critical battery, no matter how far out you are.. This means you can land the quad in any close proximity safe place you can find.. And even once you loose signal landing when the quad gets down to 100feet or so.. I can stand assure that the quad will continue its landing path striaght down from where I had placed it before I lost signal.. And know that the quad is not going to try to come home, where it's not gonna make it more than another 500-1000 feet and crash into a tree, house, car, or other buildings/roads.

So this is a good thing, and I'm glad dji chose to have critical battery override the rth function.

And if SMART RTH is active you should (In visual sight to drone ) Be able to scream, using sticks to lower the "Baby" to a safe spot.

EDIT: and it's not unfortunate for my situation.. This is what I WANT to happen.. This is the safest thing TO happen.. Cuz at the point of critical battery, no matter how far out you are.. This means you can land the quad in any close proximity safe place you can find.. And even once you loose signal landing when the ways gets down to 100feet or so.. I can stand assure that the quad will continue its landing path striaght down from where I had placed it before I lost signal.. And know that the quad is not going to try to come home, where it's not gonna make it more than another 500-1000 feet and crash into a tree, house, car, or other buildings/roads.

So this is a good thing, and I'm glad dji chose to have critical battery override the rth function.

I think if critical battery LAND is occuring.. if there's a tree, house,fence, water.. it will just land on/in it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20