Crazy gimbal movement and overload

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’ve done some searches on “gimbal motor overloaded” and off center gimbal (a lot of cocked to the right cameras), but I think my issue may be a little different. I’ve tried some of the suggested fixes in those topics, but I’m hoping someone has different ideas!

History: 4 weeks ago, bought new P4P. 2 weeks ago, crashed P4P, broke arm and prop. Sent in for DJI Care Refresh. Received replacement aircraft (but I believe they used the same gimbal/camera as it had the same Serial Number as my original purchase). I’ve flown at least every other day since receiving the replacement P4P and have had no issues. Perfect flight, perfect footage etc. This morning I had a couple flights on one battery, no issues.

Then, this afternoon, I’m using active track and I realize the camera is going all over the place. It’s visibly shaking and rocking back and forth violently and of course loses the subject. When in normal flight, the camera is still visibly shaking (wobbling violently back and forth). When it is hovering, it is not as violent but still clearly visible. Here should be a sample footage of the resulting wobble:

Here’s what I’ve already tried:

Gimbal calibration
IMU calibration followed by gimbal calibration
Gimbal calibration with camera looking skyward
Firmware update
Firmware refresh
Contacted dji support (which walked me through all of the above again)
Compressed air blown around gimbal and camera
Compass calibration
Manually rolling camera/gimbal side to side
Inspection of ribbon cable (but no covers taken off etc)
Used the dji assistant 2 to calibrate vision cameras (point the drone at the computer screen with the blue squares)
Changed out propellers to rule out a wobbly aircraft (aircraft is visibly steady, the camera is visibly ALL OVER THE PLACE)

Anything I haven’t tried? Is it worth taking the camera/gimbal housing apart and inspecting? Will this void warranty?

Thanks!

If you take the gimbal part, there are tons of screws to lose and/or strip, and you will most certainly void the warranty if you start tinkering with it and they can see signs of it. Those screws are very soft, and they do not like being messed with. If you're having problems with it while under warranty, let them fix it.
The thing I would check is that the camera isn't hitting the flex cable, and that nothing is binding the motors.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
If you take the gimbal part, there are tons of screws to lose and/or strip, and you will most certainly void the warranty if you start tinkering with it and they can see signs of it. Those screws are very soft, and they do not like being messed with. If you're having problems with it while under warranty, let them fix it.
The thing I would check is that the camera isn't hitting the flex cable, and that nothing is binding the motors.

Great advice, thanks! I saw another post and video where the camera was catching part of the ribbon cable, causing it to bind. Unfortunately that’s not the case here. Nothing else is visibly binding the motor :(

Reactions: Greddyyzfr6
Great advice, thanks! I saw another post and video where the camera was catching part of the ribbon cable, causing it to bind. Unfortunately that’s not the case here. Nothing else is visibly binding the motor :(

Then start a chat with them and have it sent in, if they cannot recommend any other steps.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj