Crashed. Why?

Reaction score
I sent my drone on a Pix4D POI (circular orbit) survey on a friends farm. Just after starting to circle we decided the radius was too large and I aborted the flight by hitting the RTH button on my rc. The screen showed " Descending", even after repeated stabs at the RTH button. By now I had lost sight of the drone and headed to the spot last shown in the orbit on my Ipad and found it crashed below a tree. I could have aborted the flight on the program, but thought the rc would always override any other program I might be flying on. Any comments out there?

I aborted the flight by hitting the RTH button on my rc. The screen showed " Descending", even after repeated stabs at the RTH button.
The most common reason for Phantoms just descending when RTH is initiated is that RTH was initiated with the drone closer than 20 metres to the home point.
Your description makes it sound like it was further away?
The recorded flight data is the next place to look for an explanation.
I could have aborted the flight on the program, but thought the rc would always override any other program I might be flying on.
The quickest and simplest way to cancel any automated flight mode (POI, RTH etc) is to flick the flight mode switch out of P-GPS and back.

Reactions: GFields
I could have aborted the flight on the program, but thought the rc would always override any other program I might be flying on.
Quick answer...Nope.

Hope damage not bad,,just recent another pilot @loonsky posted a clip showing manual orbit,might be something to practice instead of relying on app

Reactions: Tenisyn
Can anyone out there make sense of what went wrong? Is there any other data/files that you might need to do so? -
I find it a lot easier to work from the .txt file.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

It would be a surprise to learn that an app might disable the operation of the RTH button on the controller. Why might DJI provide for SDK ability to override the RTH button? Makes no sense.
Yet another statement misread. You are correct. I have to remember to not post or comment without my glasses....??

What an informative response, thanks so much all. At my age I am slightly IT challenged so will source a young geek to help me further with your advice. Watch this space...........

Has any one ever had a prop just snap ...they were factory p4p props flew for bout 5 mins flight was fine was descending got to bout 50ft and snap came crashing down ...didnt hit anything not even scratch on the prop ..and a really clean break
20190515_230602.jpg
20190515_230602.jpg

Has any one ever had a prop just snap ...they were factory p4p props flew for bout 5 mins flight was fine was descending got to bout 50ft and snap came crashing down ...didnt hit anything not even scratch on the prop ..and a really clean breakView attachment 111345View attachment 111345View attachment 111345View attachment 111346
Mate sorry to see,,inform dji if haven't already,,still under warranty?? I see new drone here,,NO have not seen break there but very similar,,hard to stop flaws in manufacturing process , they should x-ray like helicopter blades ,,,good luck and post a update,,

I find it a lot easier to work from the .txt file.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Hey Meta4,

The problem is that the .txt files showing up don't seem to contain the date of the incident (14/apr) and seem to end with an earlier date (2/apr). At least this is how the files are named.

Regardless, here is the latest one i could pull from the tablet (the tablet is the only source I can pull .txt files):
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I don't believe this is the correct one as the date is 2/apr, and not 14/apr (which is the date of the accident).

Is there a way for me to pull txt files from the drone itself? It seems to be the only source with any logs/records from the date of the accident (14/apr)? The only files I seem to be able to get on that date are .DAT files.

Mate sorry to see,,inform dji if haven't already,,still under warranty?? I see new drone here,,NO have not seen break there but very similar,,hard to stop flaws in manufacturing process , they should x-ray like helicopter blades ,,,good luck and post a update,,
I have the refresh care so replacment will be 99 got drone In. January 19 it just sucks what if it happened over water would be screwed .I probally could get them to cover under warranty but will take a lot longer for them to do investagation

I have the refresh care so replacment will be 99 got drone In. January 19 it just sucks what if it happened over water would be screwed .I probally could get them to cover under warranty but will take a lot longer for them to do investagation
Apparently turn around time from dji has got better from some posts I read so might have back sooner than lately,,clearly not your fault,it does sux sending any drone away but think you should or you could run in to issues changing things ,,who knows what happen inside drone,you could repair your visible damage and it might not work properly again,,see it here all the time,,,each to there own but me I would contact them,,best of luck and hope you in the air soon

Apparently turn around time from dji has got better from some posts I read so might have back sooner than lately,,clearly not your fault,it does sux sending any drone away but think you should or you could run in to issues changing things ,,who knows what happen inside drone,you could repair your visible damage and it might not work properly again,,see it here all the time,,,each to there own but me I would contact them,,best of luck and hope you in the air soon
I'm pretty sure I get a factory refurbished replacment ...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav