crashed, limp gimbal now

JJM

Reaction score
so I was out at the beach, taking shots over the bay when out of nowhere a seagull comes at my phantom. I'm trying to get it back over dry land but the seagull won the dog fight and put my phantom into a palm tree causing it to crash, luckily, on the deck below.

Now I'm getting a "remove clamp" error and the gimbal will not hold level to the horizon. Everything looks ok except for a slightly tweaked gimbal arm. Am I out of luck? Do I need a new gimbal? Any way to fix this?

Been posted a million times. Search bent gimbal. Search gimbal not level.

And for those with bird issues: You can scare off the birds with altitude. Climb above them, like a hawk would. They split immediately. Then make your way home.

Been posted a million times. Search bent gimbal. Search gimbal not level.

My issue is not the bent gimbal though, the motor is not holding the camera level. It's as if the gimbal is not powered and the camera is just hanging limp. It moves likes its trying to level it but seems like the motor is too weak. If I assist with my hand it'll hold a level, and will correct for lean to one side, but not the other. Will I find the answer to this by searching "bent gimbal"?

Yes. You need to carefully unbend the J arm of the gimbal, then follow the instructions you'll find to re-establish level. Jeremy says he has trouble with the beefier vet 3 gimbals... May need to have it fixed professionally.
Try a search on a topic, a few of them in fact, before you start a new thread. This has been covered a lot.

My issue is not the bent gimbal though, the motor is not holding the camera level. It's as if the gimbal is not powered and the camera is just hanging limp. It moves likes its trying to level it but seems like the motor is too weak. If I assist with my hand it'll hold a level, and will correct for lean to one side, but not the other. Will I find the answer to this by searching "bent gimbal"?
I'm not being smug, I am genuinely interested if you had a gimble guard fitted? I don't have one at the moment but I'm wondering just how successfuly the work.

Thanks
Phil

I'm not being smug, I am genuinely interested if you had a gimble guard fitted? I don't have one at the moment but I'm wondering just how successfuly the work.

Thanks
Phil

Carbon fiber guard across the landing gear, no. I do have a gimbal saver thing though, the kind that prevents the separation.

Seagulls are our worst enemy in this period. I've been attacked 3 times because i was unaware that i was flying near a nests area...

Does the seagull hit your phantom or you to escape hit the tree?
Anyway to try to adjust the gimbal follow what others says, you need to remove the metal plate on the back of the gimbal and manually adjust the shaft first. Then check if the motor still have issues.

Seagulls are our worst enemy in this period. I've been attacked 3 times because i was unaware that i was flying near a nests area...

Does the seagull hit your phantom or you to escape hit the tree?
Anyway to try to adjust the gimbal follow what others says, you need to remove the metal plate on the back of the gimbal and manually adjust the shaft first. Then check if the motor still have issues.

I was paying more attention to the seagull than the tree and flew into it.

But the shaft and angle sensor thing are still aligned as they were. I find it hard to believe a slightly (just be a hair) tweaked arm is to blame for the way it's acting.

so I was out at the beach, taking shots over the bay when out of nowhere a seagull comes at my phantom. I'm trying to get it back over dry land but the seagull won the dog fight and put my phantom into a palm tree causing it to crash, luckily, on the deck below.

Now I'm getting a "remove clamp" error and the gimbal will not hold level to the horizon. Everything looks ok except for a slightly tweaked gimbal arm. Am I out of luck? Do I need a new gimbal? Any way to fix this?
If you need camera work, or any other work done on your PV, PV2, or PV2+, call Mike Holt 530-277-5366 (California). He will fix whatever, or just your camera or do a camera "swap" for $350 (he keeps your old camera). He has been repairing the Phantoms since the 1st one. Tell him "Gary from Chicago" sent you!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20