Crashed and P2 won't fly...motor help

Reaction score
Hello, new to this board. I crashed my P2 the other day and need to replace the lower mounting vibration plate for the Zenmuse H3-D2. Any ideas where I can get this at a reasonable price? DJI wants to charge almost $100 for the combined upper and lower plates (I can buy a new set of motors at this price). I think that price is ludicrous for a part of this type.

Also, I am trying to determine what i should replace in motors to get it flying. The drone drifted into a small tree and the propellors struck branches and then descended about 10 ft toppling over.

Do I replace motor(s) and/or ESC's, which ones and how do I determine?

If I replace all motors are there any recommendations?

Trying to get a feel of what is the safe and economical route to getting my P2 flying again.

Dave

Welcome to the forum Dave.

"hunch" might be able to help with the gimbal part. He's a member here, look him up on the member list and start a conversation. I might be wrong, but it's the best I have to offer.

Why do you think you need to change the motors and/or ESCs?
A detailed description of your problems and exactly which bird you have would get you some better replies than this one. ;)

Here's something that will help you find things in our forum.
It's Google Custom Search, enter your text in the middle of the page, not at the top.
https://cse.google.com/cse/publicurl?cx=014775389315664725445:ejku2ysgyhi

Enjoy the show.

Hi. Thanks.

I have the phantom 2 version 2 with h3-d2 gimball.

When I video the motors running at idle I see the front right motor running at a completely different speed. Is this the motor or esc? What needs to be replaced? When I try to fly the drone it just topples over to the same side as what seems to be a failing motor or ESC.

Thanks for the insight about the vibration plate.

Hi. Thanks.

When I video the motors running at idle I see the front right motor running at a completely different speed. Is this the motor or esc? What needs to be replaced? When I try to fly the drone it just topples over to the same side as what seems to be a failing motor or ESC.

If that is truly a H3-2D gimbal then B&H has it for $44.99.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1024817-REG/dji_part38_zh3_2d_mnting_brackts_for.html
But you said it's P2 v2 and the gimbal for that unit is either a H3-3D/H4-3D gimbal

Ok. It is version one then. I thought the 3D gimball came only on version 3.

I don't know much about the P2 motors, someone else will have to help you there.
Maybe that search link I gave you will help you find what you are looking for.

Good luck.

Hi. Thanks.

What you haven't mentioned is if you preformed an advanced IMU calibration after the crash. Before I would consider replacing ESC's or motors is to do the IMU cal and try to takeoff again. Such make sure you do IMU on a level surface.

Reactions: IflyinWY
Sorry, I did the advanced IMU calibration and it now shows .1. It was only .3 prior to the calibration so I'm pretty sure that the IMU is not the issue.

The drone always flops to the right when I advance the throttle for lift off. It's weird because the back left motor has a very noticeable vibration at speed. It's not loose when I check it with motors off. I also took video of the motors running at idle and the front right runs at a different RPM than rest indicating something is wrong here too.

I flew it on the beach and fear sand ended up in the motors. With the above things I noted I decided that I will replace them all with the newer 2312 motors along with the new ESCs. Unless someone advises that these will not be compatible with the version 1 P2.

Sorry, I did the advanced IMU calibration and it now shows .1. It was only .3 prior to the calibration so I'm pretty sure that the IMU is not the issue.

The drone always flops to the right when I advance the throttle for lift off. It's weird because the back left motor has a very noticeable vibration at speed. It's not loose when I check it with motors off. I also took video of the motors running at idle and the front right runs at a different RPM than rest indicating something is wrong here too.

I flew it on the beach and fear sand ended up in the motors. With the above things I noted I decided that I will replace them all with the newer 2312 motors along with the new ESCs. Unless someone advises that these will not be compatible with the version 1 P2.

Would you mind providing a link to the motors and ESCs you are considering? Your words "newer" and "new", respectively, have me curious.
I'm thinking that sand thing at the beach is your problem, which would then limit the issue to your motor. Who knows, the air is so stinking wet at some beaches. Are we talking ocean, salt water, beach?

It was down on the Atlantic shores of North Carolina so probably salty air. I found the motors and ESCs at dronefly. Here is the link for one of the motors. According to the information I have read my drone has the 2212 motor. To change to the 2312 I understand I have to get the new ESC if my current ESCs only has firmware 1.0, and they do.

http://www.dronefly.com/product-p/p2-motor-cw-p12.htm

"NOTE* MUST USE NEW ESC VERSION WITH THIS MOTOR"

I just scratch my head and wonder why this statement, on the page you linked to, doesn't link to the ESC which they say you must use??? :confused::confused::confused:

I've been considering upgrading the motors on my FC40 to the 2312. Most of my flying is at about 6,000 Ft MSL and I've got it weighed down a bit.

It's true. It does not link to it. I did a little research on whether I needed to make the ESC upgrade. Turns out the old ESC will work but because it's tuned to the new motor it struggles and fights with the motor causing a quick battery drain. It's best to get the new ESC designed for the 2312. Here is the link to the ESC.

http://www.dronefly.com/product-p/vision-esc-2.0.htm

Reactions: IflyinWY
Thanks for the link.

You will probably smoke the ESC on the crappy motor before to many more attempts. Just me thinking out loud. ;)

I'm happy to see that's not the same one the P2V+ uses... that thing really likes to fall out of the sky.

I've not heard anything bad about the 2312 motor and am seriously considering using them myself. :D

Oh yea,
J Dot is trying out some new motor bearings and I think with the 2312 motor, new ESCs, and Ceramic bearings, my FC40 will be able to do some amazing things... I'm one of those optimistic folks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl