Crashed and destroyed my drone and the valuable lessons I learned.

Yikes! Ground my teeth up to the impact point. My heart goes out to you. Most of us have done similar things, so don't feel too bad.

Thanks to the person that finally extracted the video so we could all share the pain.

It is amazing how FAST the ends of the blades go! Wow!

Reactions: RodPad
Yes if you are within 400 feet of a structure and lets say the structure is 500 feet high you are allowed to fly 400 feet AGL above that structure with a 400 foot radius.
NOT in the UK for any UK drone flyers on here! We have 400 feet end of!!

[QUOTE="jimlips, post: 1467859, member: 93668

It is amazing how FAST the ends of the blades go! Wow!
[/QUOTE]

Assuming this is a medium sized (1.8Mw) turbine the blades will be around 148feet long. Counting the rotation at 4.6sec/rev the tip velocity is around 47mph! (I think).

Reactions: jimlips
I think that's true. No antenna or building can make you to legylly fligh at 400+ feets. The law says above the ground!
Only at mountains this is true as the ground elevates.
Can you imagine that someone can fly at 1000 ft over a skyscraper 600 ft high. That would be completely insain.

FLY OVER 400 ft? hear is the FAA ruling in the US......

In this video, from the FAA, it says....( time stamp 2:20 )

"if you want to fly higher than 400ft, you may do so, as long as you remain within a 400ft radius of a structure, and fly no higher than 400ft, above the upper most limit of that structure"

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Joelet is correct .... Just saying......

Last edited:
Reactions: Weston Ney
It would be perfectly safe to fly a thousand feet above-the-ground, within 400 feet of a 500 foot building, because aircraft have to fly higher because of the buildings. The same risk is there flying 400 feet above the ground versus a thousand feet, obviously as long as there is a building 400 ft under your drone...
I think that's true. No antenna or building can make you to legylly fligh at 400+ feets. The law says above the ground!
Only at mountains this is true as the ground elevates.
Can you imagine that someone can fly at 1000 ft over a skyscraper 600 ft high. That would be completely insain.

There are a lot of differences between the USA and UK in all aspects of life and this is one more of them
From the CAA (UK):

"Thank you for your email.
The limit is 400 ft above the surface of the earth, not above any manmade structures or obstacles.

Drone & Model Aircraft Registration Service
Civil Aviation Authority"

This I will abide by but sad I can't fly over a wind turbine to get a close look. Maybe I'll just sneak up from behind, well clear of the blades :cool: :D
END OF!

Is the drone footage of the crash on Youtube yet?

Another member edited the video and posted it himself. He also asked me. I was going to put some funny music to it. But it's there.

Assuming this is a medium sized (1.8Mw) turbine the blades will be around 148feet long. Counting the rotation at 4.6sec/rev the tip velocity is around 47mph! (I think).
That would be much slower than normal for most wind turbines.
Common tip speeds are 60-80 metres/sec .. or 134-180mph .. or 216-288 km/hr

Hard to look but you have an exceptional video. I think this is the only one.

Is the the turbine always faced to the wind direction so it blows from the front side?

Reactions: jimlips
I showed my boss the video. He taps me on the shoulders and says, "I gotta a Phantom 3 Pro that I never use. Make me an offer". I asked, "What does it include?". He said, "Everything you recommended that I purchased, I bought". So when I have some extra money lying around, I will make an offer. But it's a virtually brand new P3Pro with case, 3 extra batteries, extra props, Pro guards, What do you think is a fair offer? He bought it in late 2017. Thoughts?

I showed my boss the video. He taps me on the shoulders and says, "I gotta a Phantom 3 Pro that I never use. Make me an offer". I asked, "What does it include?". He said, "Everything you recommended that I purchased, I bought". So when I have some extra money lying around, I will make an offer. But it's a virtually brand new P3Pro with case, 3 extra batteries, extra props, Pro guards, What do you think is a fair offer? He bought it in late 2017. Thoughts?
P3P’s not used for long lengths of time have been reported here with issues many times. I recommend that you check it out for functionality before buying.

Another member edited the video and posted it himself. He also asked me. I was going to put some funny music to it. But it's there.
Wow how close you want to get,very cool though,that's one giant spinning machete :oops:

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Spin it around on him,work it off in overtime if not much coin to play with,,pretty please boss might help too

I would just do some research ebay, the classifieds here, etc.
Tell him how you picked the price.

Rod

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
BTW
People ask me where this was?

Rod

Is the the turbine always faced to the wind direction so it blows from the front side?
Simple answer YES! There are built in wind direction sensors which rotate the head so the blades are at optimum angle to the wind.
Older and smaller turbines have a tail vane sticking out of the back and things like windmills have an auxiliary wind vane.

If never used only the battery could make a trouble. If not mantained properly I would by new ones. But there is no reason that the drone itself shouldn't be OK.

• Sad
Reactions: RodPad and Oso

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31