Crash!!!! ????? What went wrong

When I bought my first Phantom, a Phantom 2 HD-3D, FPV, I had to learn to fly by the seat of my pants and crashes a couple of times and cost me big time in money. But before the P3's came out we all learned to do the DJI dance, which is to calibrate the compass before ever flight. If you didn't calibrate your compass, you were asking for trouble. I have since then done the same calibration dance with my P3Pro and P3Standard before every flight. I would highly suggest that every DJI pilot do the dance before every flight.
This is absolutely not necessary at all.
Loads of threads on here about this topic.
When i first got my P3P in August i was calibrating each time as well. After reading from ppl that know what they are talking about on here, i stopped doing this, and now only do a calibration very occasionally or after FW update.
Each new (local) location i fly from, the home point is automatically updated every time
Total overkill to do it every flight, in fact ur asking for trouble doing it every flight..

This is absolutely not necessary at all.
Loads of threads on here about this topic.
When i first got my P3P in August i was calibrating each time as well. After reading from ppl that know what they are talking about on here, i stopped doing this, and now only do a calibration very occasionally or after FW update.
Each new (local) location i fly from, the home point is automatically updated every time
Total overkill to do it every flight, in fact ur asking for trouble doing it every flight..

Overkill, I think not. Doing a DJI dance before any flight only calibrates the compass as a back up to the automatic home point. How in the hell does it mean I am asking for trouble if I do it before every flight? If a person travels ten to twenty miles or more between flight area's, I would think that the pilot would want to take all precautions before flying in a new area. Your response to my post is totally inappropriate. With all the problems that updates of the firmware have caused in the past year, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Pilots should make their own assessment, based upon their individual experience, with flying before making accusations or insinuations about auto home point setting. To totally rely on automatic home point setting may not be the best thing in the world for flying Phantoms. Nothing is fool proof when it comes to this very new and exciting field of flying.
Right now, there is nobody out there that has more than a year of flying experience with the Phantom 3's since they only became available just a few months ago. So right now, there are no experts when it comes to flying PHANTOM's THREES. Not even you or me.

Overkill, I think not. Doing a DJI dance before any flight only calibrates the compass as a back up to the automatic home point. How in the hell does it mean I am asking for trouble if I do it before every flight? If a person travels ten to twenty miles or more between flight area's, I would think that the pilot would want to take all precautions before flying in a new area. Your response to my post is totally inappropriate. With all the problems that updates of the firmware have caused in the past year, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Pilots should make their own assessment, based upon their individual experience, with flying before making accusations or insinuations about auto home point setting. To totally rely on automatic home point setting may not be the best thing in the world for flying Phantoms. Nothing is fool proof when it comes to this very new and exciting field of flying.
Right now, there is nobody out there that has more than a year of flying experience with the Phantom 3's since they only became available just a few months ago. So right now, there are no experts when it comes to flying PHANTOM's THREES. Not even you or me.

I dont know how to include post from other threads in this thread (or if its even possible) but if AgentOrange2015 needs to read the thread started by Androne 'Lost mine today, RTH failed'

The thread gets quickly into calibration of compass, and why it is a) not necessary to do a new calibration each flight, and b) why it can actually be a bad thing to do so.

To AgentOrange2015 - read that thread carefully and learn from pilots with a lot more knowledge than you or I....

No need to calibrate the compass if in the same location. This has been the subject of discussion so many times before. I've been on here for 2 1/2 years and heard it so many times.

My thoughts are that the props iced up as a result of the low temperature, the excessive moisture in the air due to the fog and the low pressure caused by the movement of the props through the air.

Reactions: MichaelR
Here is some data of that flight taken from the txt log:
The vertical red bar is at 5:59 which is impact time.

I drew red lines to indicate the trend of the charts.
If you check the Amps you will note how amps starts raising at around 3:30 minutes (also lots of negative amps which are unusual error readings).
You will also note voltage graph starts slumping at around the same time. The watt graph starts increasing at round 3:30.
This indicates the Phantom has to use more and more power to remain in flight .
As someone else posted low temp and fog could have led to ice forming and would nicely explain this increase in power

View attachment 38606

If you post the DAT files of that day if you still have access to them, it will show more data
Transfer the FLYXXX.DAT file to your computer
  1. Go to the DJI GO App and connect to the P3
  2. MC Settings -->
    select Advanced Settings Advanced Settings --> Enter flight data
    mode
  3. wait until you get a dialog telling you that the quad is
    in flight data mode.
  4. Connect a USB cable from the USB plug in the nose of the Phantom3 to your computer. This is not the USB connector on the side of the camera. Your Phantom 3 should have come with the required USB cable
  5. The data drive should mount and be available.
  6. Use the date on the FLYXXX.DAT files to pick the one you want and copy it to your computer
  7. Upload on Dropbog or google drive

Hello Luap,

On the Graphs that you are posting, are you manually creating those from the CSV? I have a .DAT file from a crash that I wanted to get looked at, but I don't know of a tool to use. I just sent a message to Bud as well. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Kevin

Dashware is creating them from the CSV. Post the DAT on google drive or Dropbox and I can have a look.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj