Crash- Phantom 4 flyaway changing to "follow me" mode.

I wonder if anything could have been done to prevent it/get control back.
The OP should have switched the flight mode to ATTI to disable Follow Me.

Reactions: Sky Architect
I have the same issue with DJI Follow me, bird would pause in the air, then suddenly catch up with me, I'd move 20-30 ft, & again, wait for bird, it would jerk sideways, then at a good rate of speed catch up.
I had walked another 30' & bird again, quite fast caught up to me but this time, just kept going, finger on the switch into P stops this.
After 3 of these occurences, gave up on follow me mode.

Reactions: snowghost
So Follow Me sounds a little sketchy. I am just going to upgrade my phone to an iPhone 6plus and was planning on trying the Follow Me feature as I was interested in having the Phantom follow me at a higher elevation that ActiveTrack allows but from these accounts it can be risky. But I guess there are the majority out there using Follow Me without issue., hmmm.

Follow me does use GPS position from the tablet, iPhone etc. This GPS data is exchanged between Device-App-RC-Craft.

In the original video posted by OP we can see a video glitch just before P4 going crazy. I suspect communication issue causing possible confusion with GPS data.

Looks like Active tracking based on objects recognition does not suffer from such GPS issues.

Also civil GPS services can experience planned or unexpected downtimes in military context or maintenance. Curiously, nobody discuss this, maybe because it's rare and localized?

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?Do=constellationStatus

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Fly Away Emergency Procedures Question: Is there a general consensus here that "immediately switching to ATTI mode" is the exact first and right step to take when encountering a problem like this, as a P3 or P4 goes on a fly-away or acts strangely?
  • Should one then stay in ATTI mode and fly home manually (I presume after gaining plenty altitude first)
  • In case LOS is lost during the fly away, how long after switching to ATTI should one wait to switch back to GPS mode?
  • Is it safe to "toggle" from GPS mode to ATTI and back right away?
  • Should the Return To Home sequence be something to attempt in an emergency, or only after the bird has hopefully stabilized and is hovering?
Thoughts?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik