Crash Landing Into Lake

Reaction score
Firstly,

I should mention I *had* a DJI Mavic Mini, not Phantom, so if this is not allowed please delete it!

Long story short, I completely underestimated how windy it was aloft, and once it reached an elevation of about 80' it was a losing battle trying to get the drone to return home. My lack of flying experience certainly didn't help either! Attached is the flight log. It'd be greatly appreciated to hear any insight/advice! Thank you in advance!!!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-12-15_[16-06-40].txt
    1.2 MB · Views: 217
It'd be greatly appreciated to hear any insight/advice!
I think you already know this answer... stay home when the wind is strong ;)

1576453572551.png

Reactions: Adventures
Did you get it back or no?
As on the map you could brought it down much closely to the home point thus easier to be found or maybe fly it to the HP. The wind at lower altitudes was also strong but much less than in higher.

I think a lot of mini owners are going to wish they had bought a used Phantom instead. They can handle much more wind. Sorry for your loss.
Totally agree. I have P4 but Santa is bringing a mini for traveling. Fly safe and Merry Christmas.

Reactions: Capt KO
Firstly,

I should mention I *had* a DJI Mavic Mini, not Phantom, so if this is not allowed please delete it!

Long story short, I completely underestimated how windy it was aloft, and once it reached an elevation of about 80' it was a losing battle trying to get the drone to return home. My lack of flying experience certainly didn't help either! Attached is the flight log. It'd be greatly appreciated to hear any insight/advice! Thank you in advance!!!

At least it wasn’t a Mavic Pro 2 @ $2000.00! $400.00 is not fun, but much easier to swallow than $2000.00. If there is 1 thing that is/has become obvious, the Mavic Mini is not adverse weather friendly. And I should say@ 249gr, it want intended to be.

I agree about Phantoms. Mini, Air, and even the big Mavic zoom don't withstand comparison.
P4 might be more wind resistant, but I certainly won't test it in the 30ml / h wind.

Today (SI) we have an interesting situation where the ground wind is 15 km / h, but gusts at 70 m above ground level exceed 90 km / h. It's "just perfect" for so-called "fly away" situations.

If DJI really going to stop producing P4P, that would be pointless! It's too strange for me to understand this

Sorry for your loss. I lost a P3 over a lake so I know that sour taste in your mouth. ?. It took me awhile to get back on the horse. If you get back to flying there are a ton of apps for wind forecast.

My first dji drone was a p3p that was soul crushing to watch go kerplunk into a lake. I'm sorry to hear it happened to you guys as well. Definitely learned the hard way.

Firstly,

The best thing to do in a case like this is to get to a lower altitude where the wind is not so strong. Keep an eye on the distance reading. If it is still increasing...force the drone to land. Point your camera down and look for a clear spot. Someone's back yard is better than the lake. Go as low as you can and hit Auto-land. That way if you lose signal, it will still land. If you don't hit Auto-land and the drone loses signal it will automatically go into the Return Home program. Which means it will go right back up high into the strong wind. Then you are screwed.

Reactions: BigAl07 and MTO

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.