Crash from 80 feet, total destruction

Sorry if this has been asked, but if I inadvertently CSC'd and it's coming back to earth, could I not CSC again to restart the motors? (that's if I'm high enough, of course).

Sorry if this has been asked, but if I inadvertently CSC'd and it's coming back to earth, could I not CSC again to restart the motors? (that's if I'm high enough, of course).
Yes you sure can but you would want to be up around 300m because she'll drop like a stone

Reactions: jodyberry

Yes but you need at least 100' after the motors are up to speed before the rate of decent is almost arrested. I'm not sure whether the motors will start immediately or if you have to go through a delay first. There was a 6000' you tube video around once which demo'd this. The guy cut the motors because the battery was nearly spent and he needed power to decend. He cut the motors and managed to restart them, but still crashed.

Reactions: jodyberry
I agree with all that, but you must put it in context. There have been very many users through these forums over the last couple of years. The number of intentional cases of this happening which I am aware of is zero.... until now.

Many years ago, I used to work on Martin Baker ejection seats used in fighter aircraft. Once you have removed the pin the ejection handles are very easy to pull. I never heard a pilot complaining that they would rather have them so accidents would not happen.

The only way an CSC is going to happen on a Phantom is if the pilot is inputting movements for which he has no expectations of at the time he makes them. Sort of "stirring the paint pot". Why would anyone fly like that. It beats me.

I know what you are saying but rightly or wrongly the Phantom is so easy to fly total newbies, like my good self, are taking them up and whilst those stick movements might be totally alien to an experienced flyer to us newbies they are just another stick movement and we have no instinct for them being wrong.

Reactions: dalebb
I totally agree, why not a warning or a switch?

Because, then people would be accidently hitting the switch or button.. Then bitching about that.. There is no reason under ANY flight condition you should CSC. If people flew in ATTI mode more they would realize that the craft should not be given full tx input under ANY condition.

This would be like a real pilot complaining that his plane keeps stalling each time when he pulls the stick back 100%..

I know what you are saying but rightly or wrongly the Phantom is so easy to fly total newbies, like my good self, are taking them up and whilst those stick movements might be totally alien to an experienced flyer to us newbies they are just another stick movement and we have no instinct for them being wrong.

Then as noobies you should be reading the manual twice if not 3 times.. You would then understand that you would not want to use these stick combos. This craft was designed as an camera in the sky.. Not a stunt quad, even then you wouldn't use full throws.

Reactions: mmee1992

If the aircraft behaved in an unpredictable way then fine. But it doesn't. Everything is documented and understood. Inexperienced flyers (and everyone was one once) need to put the stick time in to learn how to fly what ever the aircraft is. They should not be putting any inputs in for which they had not already anticipated what the outcome should be. That is not only foolhardy it is dangerous.

RTFM

In all the flights I've done, I've never once been even remotely concerned with accidentally doing a CSC. Deflecting 100% in one axis is aggressive. Doing it in 2? Extreme. 4? Simply nuts. Flying the Phantom that hard is asking for a crash even without CSC.

Reactions: mmee1992
Can I check something?

When I fly the phantom most of the control is with the right stick in mode 2. The only movement on the left stick would be a gentle up and down movement to climb or descend. If wanted to yaw I would make a gentle left or right movement of the left stick. The right stick I do abuse... full forwards to do my mad dash speed runs.

I cannot think of any reason why I would pull the left stick all the way down and yaw left or right violently like a spiral anytime during a flight? Pulling the stick all the way down and yawing like a spinning top is not required in normal flight?? Maybe there are maneuvers that are been done that I am not familiar with?

I agree with all the above but I became paranoid about it not because I was flying it aggressively, randomly inputting stick movements, but because as I said earlier CSC is activated by just 2 stick positions, as a newbie you don't process what those stick positions translate to in flight, I'm sure that I have never actually come close to performing CSC as blade states it is a camera in the sky not a stunt quad and I fly it mainly for photography and my movements are very considered.
I still think that having a button to press, shoulder wheel or shutter button, will just add an extra level of security to performing CSC without impacting on the effectiveness of the CSC maneuver, just my input as a newbie.

Reactions: dalebb
I'm a little confused because on the phantom 2 when I catch it in the air and shut the motors down using only the left stick and I always presumed that if the phantom is a descent it would not allow a csc

I'm a little confused because on the phantom 2 when I catch it in the air and shut the motors down using only the left stick and I always presumed that if the phantom is a descent it would not allow a csc
Csc will shut the motors off at anytime

Dumb question about the log. It shows 6 o'clock and 3 and 9. The two CSCs are not any of those.

Lets see the flight record with stick movements first, before this thread runs away on another subject of csc.
Very sorry to read about this crash. Flight data. Has anyone figured out how to read that data? It seems I read here somewhere that we need an interpreter algorithm. Does someone have this?

Thanks

Very sorry to read about this crash. Flight data. Has anyone figured out how to read that data? It seems I read here somewhere that we need an interpreter algorithm. Does someone have this?

Thanks

I had a feeling this thread would run away on this subject again from the start. It has with other crashes before any flight data has been shared with us to view. Still don't think anything has been posted as yet unless i have missed something.

You're missing something. The app disconnected several times before and during the crash. The crash never even recorded.

Did you set of recording from take off, if so the flight will have been recorded in the director side of the app regardless of if the app disconnected or not during the flight.

A B&H photo representative has replied to me after I asked about the return policy for demolished birds. This is their response:

Hello (my name), my name is (her name):

Thank you for contacting the E-Mail Sales Department at B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

Our return policy is 30 days after purchase for returns and exchanges. We do not offer
repairs for any copter, but DJI has 24/7 tech support and repairs for the Phantom 3 models.

Here's a link to their support page.

https://www.dji.com/info/news/24-hour-technical-support-dji-phantom-3

Please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with.

Thank you for choosing B&H.

(representatives name)
B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio
E-Mail Sales Department
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

... She mentioned nothing about the fact that my p3 was in pieces. Surely they wouldn't accept this within 30 days. I emailed to clarify and await response.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl