Crash and Burn, Kansas edition. Gimbal Toasted

Reaction score
Was out today and decided it would be a great idea to run my P3P into a tree branch and then bounce it off the gravel driveway about 50 foot below. As you can imagine, it survived about as well and my 7th grade egg drop project. So, I have a series of pics and of course, the video

What I am trying to decide is if I have enough working parts to justify the expense of repairing or replacing the gimbal and camera. I know that a nib Pro Gimbal set up is near $550 which is more than half the cost of a new P3P.
Couple questions for the group:

1) Does this look salvageable to you?
2) Is it possible to use the P3Adv gimbal on the P3P? IS this cheaper option even worth it? (I don't film in 4K now)
3) Is there a way to see if the UAV is still ok without the gimbal hooked up? Status panel on Go App tell me anything?
4) I have removed the damaged ND filter. I have replaced the factory cap before I took the pictures.

Thanks in advance and laugh at my pain.

This is the only crack on the shell. I will need new landing skids on at least one side. The shell is popped out on 2 seems as well. Look to be an easy fix there.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Was out today and decided it would be a great idea to run my P3P into a tree branch and then bounce it off the gravel driveway about 50 foot below. As you can imagine, it survived about as well and my 7th grade egg drop project. So, I have a series of pics and of course, the video

What I am trying to decide is if I have enough working parts to justify the expense of repairing or replacing the gimbal and camera. I know that a nib Pro Gimbal set up is near $550 which is more than half the cost of a new P3P.
Couple questions for the group:

1) Does this look salvageable to you?
2) Is it possible to use the P3Adv gimbal on the P3P? IS this cheaper option even worth it? (I don't film in 4K now)
3) Is there a way to see if the UAV is still ok without the gimbal hooked up? Status panel on Go App tell me anything?
4) I have removed the damaged ND filter. I have replaced the factory cap before I took the pictures.

Thanks in advance and laugh at my pain.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have heard one of the big differences between the cameras also involves a double instead of single connection for the cable. This is for the higher data rate. I wonder if that alone would stymie a swap of camera versions. You will find a cable and arm replacement uTube videos at F/Stop which covers these details.

Wow,,,, ****! Wish I could afford to go hotdogging with a $1,200 P3P!

Sorry for your loss.
I guess the question is - does the drone fly at this state (without gimbal/camera)? Fly well? If yes, then it may be worth it to repair the gimbal and camera. Look around on this forum and you will find an often referred repair shop that can do the work. If no, then sell the parts and upgrade to P4.

Sorry to see that phantom destruction. It sure makes one realize how delicate these models are built, seeing how they can come apart like that. Wouldn't the body need to be replaced as well?
I hope you can repair it and get back to flying soon. Good luck.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: ajbalzer
Considering the current discounts you might as well look at complete replacement.
Selling the new or original controller would recoup at least $100 or keep it for backup.
Not really a sellers market right now..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Sorry but that's what you get for flying like this - you need a racing drone!...not another P3-P4!!

Sorry for your loss.

I don't know the answers to your questions, sorry.

If you're going to replace it, and if you're an experienced seasoned pilot and just messed up because you were trying to hotdog it, I'd get another P3A. They are so cheap now, and you can use your old one for parts.

OTOH, if you are new and tend to be a bit reckless at times, maybe you'd be wise to get the P4 and hope it keeps you out of trouble.

Is it possible to use the P3Adv gimbal on the P3P?
Yes. This would be your cheapest route if you do not need to use 4K.

Does this look salvageable to you?
At the minimum, you're going to need to replace the following parts:
  • P3P camera/gimbal ($389) or P3A camera/gimbal ($279)
  • Shell ($59)
  • Gimbal mounting plate ($9)
  • Yaw arm & ribbon cable ($69)
So, you're looking at about $416 minimum.

Note: I took the above prices from my replacement parts list.

From just looking at your photos, it would be impossible to tell if the parts are just scuffed up or broken beyond repair. For example, your camera/gimbal might work just fine as-is after re-mounting it (if aesthetics are of no concern to you). Also, you'll need to open up the shell and see if anything is broken inside. It's possible that some parts have broken free from the center board on impact. If that occurred, a center board replacement will run you another $269.

You have a few options:

1) Fix the bare minimum and see if everything is still in working order. This might require you to buy one part at a time -- as you learn what is and is not working. This could end up costing more in the end. It will also most likely be costly time-wise since it appears you don't have experience repairing drones.

2) You could send your Phantom to a repair shop. This will be more expensive than option #1 since you're going to also pay someone to do the work. If your time is money though, then it should pan out. If you choose to go this route, consider using UAV Repair Shop.

3) Sell what's left of your Phantom parts and buy a new Phantom. You could part it out on eBay, sell it in the classifieds here as-is, or sell it to a repair shop that buys parts (like UAV Repair Shop). You can purchase a new P3A for as little as $766 right now. There is even a seller on eBay selling new P3Ps for $799.

Yes. This would be your cheapest route if you do not need to use 4K.

At the minimum, you're going to need to replace the following parts:
  • P3P camera/gimbal ($389) or P3A camera/gimbal ($279)
  • Shell ($59)
  • Gimbal mounting plate ($9)
  • Yaw arm & ribbon cable ($69)
So, you're looking at about $416 minimum.

Note: I took the above prices from my replacement parts list.

From just looking at your photos, it would be impossible to tell if the parts are just scuffed up or broken beyond repair. For example, your camera/gimbal might work just fine as-is after re-mounting it (if aesthetics are of no concern to you). Also, you'll need to open up the shell and see if anything is broken inside. It's possible that some parts have broken free from the center board on impact. If that occurred, a center board replacement will run you another $269.

You could send your Phantom to a repair shop. This will be more expensive than option #1 since you're going to also pay someone to do the work. If your time is money though, then it should pan out. If you choose to go this route, consider using UAV Repair Shop.

You could part it out on eBay, sell it in the classifieds here as-is, or sell it to a repair shop that buys parts (like UAV Repair Shop). You can purchase a new P3A for as little as $766 right now. There is even a seller on eBay selling new P3Ps for $799.

I have popped loose the shell cover. I don't see anything broken loose or damaged. I was thinking I could do a shell swap myself. Is there a special technique used in removing the gimbal cable from the board? Mine has some white goo-pucky and black band securing it down.

Can a guy epoxy the shell in the crack area and have any success? I have seen the UV cement kits sold for the motor mount cracks and didn't know if this was an option here either?

I have a "contact message" sent to UAV Repair Shop with a link to this thread. I wasn't going to bother them with a phone call on the weekends.

Your replacement parts list is awesome. I had stumbled upon it in the past before I had purchased this puppy.

It is way too windy here in Kanass for me to try a flight.

I have no problems having an ugly looking bird, as long as it still functions. If my Gimbal / camera are repairable, that might be a bonus. Hell, they way this went, having a working spare might not be a bad idea. I have several friends with the same phantom and I am the first to wreck.

Thanks for the links.

Just took the gimbal board and base apart. Looks like the vertical shaft that the yaw arm attaches to is bent. Doesn't spin freely and I can feel it drag or stop at the same point in the rotation. So, looks like the new gimbal is required.

I m upgrading my P3A Gimbal/ Cam to 4K, its in excellent condition.

Privately message me your best price. Are you in US?

Stick a gopro on it until your $389 USD gimbal and 4k pro cam arrive from DJI. Then just plug in the 2 gray cables insert breakaway pins and fly.

Stick a gopro on it until your $389 USD gimbal and 4k pro cam arrive from DJI. Then just plug in the 2 gray cables insert breakaway pins and fly.

You don't think I need a new shell? I was just trying to remove the 4 bolts holding the plate from the shell. One seems to be cross threaded from the factory and the wrench jumps out with each twist.

Mounting a go-pro is interesting. Is this common?

Sorry to see that phantom destruction. It sure makes one realize how delicate these models are built, seeing how they can come apart like that. Wouldn't the body need to be replaced as well?
I hope you can repair it and get back to flying soon. Good luck.

RedHotPoker
They sure are delicate! This happened autolanding not crashing! But as you can see the ground wasnt perfectly
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1457308086.653511.jpg
level

Outch, that had to hurt, more than your feelings and ego. It would have crushed me... Seeing it laying there, all beat up and bruised.

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic