Cracked battery cover

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum and also to the drone world. I purchased my p4p+v2.0 in September from DJI China. I started reading posts on this forum and have learned a lot. Recently I was reading on cracked battery casings and decided to check my batteries. I have three batteries all bought from DJI sore in China. All three batteries have a crack on the left side of cover. I have never dropped the batteries. On both sides of the battery there is a indentation that looks to have been made (I’m assuming) when pickup my machine at the plant. All three cracks on left side of cover start on the the small indentation on battery. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks
IMG_8214.jpg
IMG_8214.jpg

Looks

Start a claim with DJI online and send them a photo of each battery with battery serial number. Don't bother calling them, do it online. See what they say. It doesn't hurt to ask. Batteries have a 6mo warranty. If they deny replacement, I wouldn't worry about it. Those cracks don't look threatening, they should fly just fine. But it they will replace them, do it. Maybe you should wait until Feb to start your claim and use these batteries for a while. That way if you get new batteries they will last longer, versus exchanging today.

Reactions: skymonkey
Start a claim with DJI online and send them a photo of each battery with battery serial number. Don't bother calling them, do it online. See what they say. It doesn't hurt to ask. Batteries have a 6mo warranty. If they deny replacement, I wouldn't worry about it. Those cracks don't look threatening, they should fly just fine. But it they will replace them, do it. Maybe you should wait until Feb to start your claim and use these batteries for a while. That way if you get new batteries they will last longer, versus exchanging today.

You right, I totally forgot about that. I’ll contact them next month so as not to risk the batteries cracking some place else. I’ve chatted with them before on other topics and they always send a survey to rate their customer service. I’ll post the verdict once when it’s a done deal.
Thanks for the heads up John.

I own the same model, but my batteries are fine. Perhaps it was the batch you got.

I got them from eBay. Can’t recall where they originated from. DJI’s manufacturer is in China, so I beleive all batteries come from there.

Hey Skymonkey, I had the same issue with one of my batteries as well. I purchased the drone in late November 2018 along with four batteries. I noticed that one on the batteries had a small crack in the case. I contacted DJI via e-mail December 2018 and received a reply within a day. A few more e-mails along with the picture below, and a video of the battery inserting it into the drone, cycling the drone on/off, placing the battery into the charger and showing the serial number on the battery. DJI send me a shipping tag and asked me to send it to the CA facility. I sent it off and a few days later was notified that it was received and was being evaluated. After being evaluated DJI came back with this remark;

Remark

Dear Customer After carrying out the damage assessment, we found Physical damage to battery structure. Unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. Damage was not caused by product malfunction. We'll either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received. For more information, please visit (After-Sales Service Policies - DJI)

Loking thur the forum it would appear that there are quite a few cases of the same. I have responded to DJI with some additional comments and am waiting for a response. I have a specifiers background in plastics manufacturing and it would appear that nearly every picture showing a crack occurs in the dimple area of the case. It would appear that there is a level of stress in the battery case and the dimple area is the weak point of the plastic mold.

Attachments

• Cracked battery case.jpg
    Cracked battery case.jpg
    619.2 KB · Views: 769
Hey Skymonkey, I had the same issue with one of my batteries as well. I purchased the drone in late November 2018 along with four batteries. I noticed that one on the batteries had a small crack in the case. I contacted DJI via e-mail December 2018 and received a reply within a day. A few more e-mails along with the picture below, and a video of the battery inserting it into the drone, cycling the drone on/off, placing the battery into the charger and showing the serial number on the battery. DJI send me a shipping tag and asked me to send it to the CA facility. I sent it off and a few days later was notified that it was received and was being evaluated. After being evaluated DJI came back with this remark;

Remark

Dear Customer After carrying out the damage assessment, we found Physical damage to battery structure. Unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. Damage was not caused by product malfunction. We'll either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received. For more information, please visit (After-Sales Service Policies - DJI)

Loking thur the forum it would appear that there are quite a few cases of the same. I have responded to DJI with some additional comments and am waiting for a response. I have a specifiers background in plastics manufacturing and it would appear that nearly every picture showing a crack occurs in the dimple area of the case. It would appear that there is a level of stress in the battery case and the dimple area is the weak point of the plastic mold.

I purchased mine late September with 3 batteries, didn’t notice cracks till a mid November. John Locke (#2 post) suggested waiting till February and getting some good use before contacting DJI. So far the cracks have stayed the same and batteries performing as they should.
Please let me know the outcome on your claim, I do not want to send in my three batteries and have DJI hold them hostage for any length of time. Thanks and Good Luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik