CP filter question

Reaction score
I'm looking into getting some ND filters and see that some packages come with a CP filter as well. Does a polarizing filter need to be oriented in a certain way to be effective? If so would that mean that I would need to unscrew it a little to change the position for it to be most effective? Thanks .

I'm looking into getting some ND filters and see that some packages come with a CP filter as well. Does a polarizing filter need to be oriented in a certain way to be effective? If so would that mean that I would need to unscrew it a little to change the position for it to be most effective? Thanks .
Two things about CP filters...
1) They need to be rotated and installed with the correct side up. Screw on CP's are difficult because the "sweet spot" is often not where the threads stop tightening. Slip on filters are the only way to go to insure the filter is rotated and installed and the optimal effective location.
2) The polarizing effect is only achieved by facing a 90º from the sun. So if you stand outside, with the sun directly left (9 o'clock) or right (3 o'clock) of you, the effective area is straight forward in the direction you're facing. If the filter is a combination ND/CP, and you're filming directly at or directly away with the sun behind you, the "CP" has little to no effect. Rendering the filter as an ND only.

Reactions: MaryKay

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl