Converting DNG files to more common extension for canvas prints.

Reaction score
Hello Phantom community! I have been doing photography and videography for a few months now using a Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian. I have been very fortunate to get a great deal of work. Just a couple days ago I took picture of my mechanics shop. The pictures came out really good, but the company that I’m using to print the photos on canvas doesn’t accept DNG files. Can anybody give me some advise on a good program to convert the DNG files without degrading the quality of the photo? Or does anyone know of a company who does large canvas prints that will accept DNG files?

The gold standard programs for photo processing is Photoshop, and Lightroom. They are Adobe products and can only be used by subscription, about $10 per month. Adobe also makes a program called Photoshop Elements which is a stand alone product available for Mac or Windows, and not too expensive. That can also be used to convert your DNG files to JPEG, which all photo processor printing companies use. There are undoubtedly free programs around and I expect there are a number of members here who can make suggestions for you. Good luck.

Reactions: Shadimo187
The gold standard programs for photo processing is Photoshop, and Lightroom. They are Adobe products and can only be used by subscription, about $10 per month. Adobe also makes a program called Photoshop Elements which is a stand alone product available for Mac or Windows, and not too expensive. That can also be used to convert your DNG files to JPEG, which all photo processor printing companies use. There are undoubtedly free programs around and I expect there are a number of members here who can make suggestions for you. Good luck.

Thanks a lot! That helps a lot! I need to look into those programs for sure! I’ve been using GIMP for all of my edits and it works very good. But it won’t accept a DNG file. I’ve been going around paying for the Lightroom subscription but ill end up having to do it soon! Thanks again!

Adobe should have a free DNG converter program you can download from their website. Of course using a raw converter like Photoshop or Lightroom will give you more control of the look of the images. That is the purpose of having a raw file to begin with rather than a Tiff or Jpeg. If you're new to photography then it will take some time to understand that, but it will make your images look much better.

Ask your printer what the optimum resolution is for their printer in DPI and so you can deliver the best resolution file. Knowing what formats they accept will also prove helpful.

That’s just a silly extrapolation. DNG was created by Adobe and a printshop that has no Adobe? Seems odd that’s all.

What I don’t think the OP gets is that DNG files have to be interpreted and then any “changes or corrections” to do to them does not get saved to the DNG. Has to be exported to another format. So how did you show the client these “DNG” files? It’s needs a program to see them. If you can see them then you can export them to JPG or TIF

That’s just a silly extrapolation. DNG was created by Adobe and a printshop that has no Adobe? Seems odd that’s all.

What I don’t think the OP gets is that DNG files have to be interpreted and then any “changes or corrections” to do to them does not get saved to the DNG. Has to be exported to another format. So how did you show the client these “DNG” files? It’s needs a program to see them. If you can see them then you can export them to JPG or TIF
Perhaps you missed my point- simply being that while we would expect the printshop to be able to open a DNG (they don’t have to have photoshop to do that, DNG is a royalty/licence free standard) it would be rare that they might process/edit client files outside billing for a seperate service.

Reactions: ravedog

Exactly HOW does this help the OP in any way what so ever?

12 posts and no one gave the OP the simple answer? You need to provide them a TIFF file. A TIFF file will ensure no loss in quality. Even a 100% quality JPG file will result in quality loss because it is compressed.

With that being said, I have never heard of providing a DNG,CR2, NEF ..etc..etc RAW file to a printing shop. The RAW files are very flat with very little detail or color; kind of like a negative from the film days. You need to "develop" them using post processing software before delivering them to a customer or print shop. They may look just fine on your screen but they would look pretty terrible when printed.

Depending on the customer I provide JPG or TIFF; TIFF for the high end commercial customers; JPG for everyone else due to file sizes.

Reactions: ctsti

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl