Controller Problem Phantom 4 Pro+

Reaction score
I have flown my DJI Phanton 4 Pro+ since around March of 2018, hundreds of flights. On two occasions it has failed in a way I thought was prevented by design. The last failure cost me the Drone, it is now somewhere in the Colorado River near the Sundance RV Resort. Has anyone had the following problem: After two successful flights during the day (Drone updated) I decided to do a final flight just before sunset. I set up and got the Drone in the air about 25 ft. AGL and out about 75 feet in front of me over the Colorado River, friends watching. Within a few seconds the permanently attached screen automatically turned into a DJI commercial with a Magic Drone zooming across the screen and I lost control with my aircraft dropping, with lights on, into the River. It was a heart sinking felling I repeatedly wake up to since mid March of this year (2021). Does anyone know about Pro+ controller problems like this? Why didn’t the Drone detect the water and stop? Why did the DJI commercial come on without my requesting a WiFi connection? My friends and I were stunned, hundreds of flights over water.

I have flown my DJI Phanton 4 Pro+ since around March of 2018, hundreds of flights. On two occasions it has failed in a way I thought was prevented by design. The last failure cost me the Drone, it is now somewhere in the Colorado River near the Sundance RV Resort. Has anyone had the following problem: After two successful flights during the day (Drone updated) I decided to do a final flight just before sunset. I set up and got the Drone in the air about 25 ft. AGL and out about 75 feet in front of me over the Colorado River, friends watching. Within a few seconds the permanently attached screen automatically turned into a DJI commercial with a Magic Drone zooming across the screen and I lost control with my aircraft dropping, with lights on, into the River. It was a heart sinking felling I repeatedly wake up to since mid March of this year (2021). Does anyone know about Pro+ controller problems like this? Why didn’t the Drone detect the water and stop? Why did the DJI commercial come on without my requesting a WiFi connection? My friends and I were stunned, hundreds of flights over water.
Oh that's some terrible luck,thing is drone dont know if it over water or land ,its just unfortunate it happen over water,you could upload the flight log so someone can read it and find out why this happen ,I've not heard of any commercials coming up before so that's a new one

Reactions: RanCan
I have a + version (both v1 and v2) and never had this issue. Have had the screen turn off, but nothing like you’re describing.

Wow! Sorry for your loss. First time I’ve ever heard of this happening. I have the P4 Pro and never experienced anything like a commercial coming on my screen.

That's very strange. Did it lose power and drop, or just fly itself into the river? How high above the water was it when you lost control? Have you examined the flight record?

I had the problem a couple of times, but I was lucky it was do to magnetic interference, I hit the home button and one time it came back and the other time it landed in a tree close to rth and damaged the props and the gimbal. Fortunately, i just needed a new ribbon. I never fly over water and i always put reflective tape on my drones. To me it seems like you had some kind of interference. Doubt it's the controller.

Sorry to hear, I lost a P4P+ last year,I was 80 ft. away,90ft. altitude just hovering but my screen just went black and nothing would work as it fell in a farm field.I always check my battery is seated, when it hit the ground the battery was about 2ft. away.
Still don’t know exactly what happened, but a week later State Farm sent my replacement check.Good luck….

I had the problem a couple of times, but I was lucky it was do to magnetic interference, I hit the home button and one time it came back and the other time it landed in a tree close to rth and damaged the props and the gimbal. Fortunately, i just needed a new ribbon. I never fly over water and i always put reflective tape on my drones. To me it seems like you had some kind of interference. Doubt it's the controller.
Thanks for the feedback

You mean like this? Might wanna turn down your sound card...<:^0

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

THIS is why I use legacy apps that were written pre-Naziware.

D

Reactions: Thrasher1967

THIS is why I use legacy apps that

THIS is why I use legacy apps that were written pre-Naziware.

D
Yep, just like that and the first time it happened I saved the Drone but had to send the controller in for repair to get rid of DJI commercial!

Yep, just like that and the first time it happened I saved the Drone but had to send the controller in for repair to get rid of DJI commercial!
For whatever reason, Go App v3.1.1 had updated behind my back to v3.1.58 (I believe). Hence, the GD advertising. I quickly uninstalled v3.1.58 and reinstalled v3.1.1 and locked that "stuff" down. Problem solved, never to be seen again.

D

Wait, what...mid control, a commercial popped on the screen and you LOST control, am I reading that right!?

RoOSTA

Wait, what...mid control, a commercial popped on the screen and you LOST control, am I reading that right!?

RoOSTA
Exactly. Like this:

Now in my case, the DJI advertisements popped up pre-flight. But I see no reason why they couldn't pop up mid flight. Common sense dictates that no engineer on the planet would usurp control of a drone to show the end user an advertisement. But this is DJI, which is a twisted web of factions that have no idea what the other is doing. It's really too bad because DJI's hardware is very robust. But then the software engineers take over and screw it all to heck and back.

D

RoOSTA
Yes u read that right, second time it happened. First time 50 over land at home and I saved by about 5 feet off ground. Had to send controller in for repair is normal control operations never came back, only commercial

That's very strange. Did it lose power and drop, or just fly itself into the river? How high above the water was it when you lost control? Have you examined the flight record?
25 ft above, seemed to descend with power. Controller won’t go back to normal operation, commercial still there, and no reason to send for repair as I don’t have a Drone to control!

I still have the controller and months later it is still stuck with commercial on and no normal operating controls. Sending the controller in for repairs without having a drone is, well, expensive. I can’t get flight data from it.

Wow! Sorry for your loss. First time I’ve ever heard of this happening. I have the P4 Pro and never experienced anything like a commercial coming on my screen.
Yours is a P4pro”+”. Having now seen a video of someone else’s controller doing this (the post is somehow now hidden) I am beginning to think this is a controller software engineering failure!

Sorry to hear, I lost a P4P+ last year,I was 80 ft. away,90ft. altitude just hovering but my screen just went black and nothing would work as it fell in a farm field.I always check my battery is seated, when it hit the ground the battery was about 2ft. away.
Still don’t know exactly what happened, but a week later State Farm sent my replacement check.Good luck….
How in the dickens did State Farm (I assume home owners ins.?) cover the cost. Would love info. On that please.

RanCanIm sorry I just saw your message, my policy with State Farm is a personal articles policy, My homeowners is with Nationwide. I’ve attached a picture of the policy
and you can see toward the bottom it says PERSONAL ARTICLES and to the right of that is the amount $ 60.00. I’ve had this policy with them since 2018 and the premium
stays the same. I’ve had one claim, but they paid it in a week and asked me to please stay with them, which I have. I have 3 A/C on the policy..P4P+, P4P Obsidian and P3 Pro.
I hope that helps you, they didn’t even want the crash unit back, just sent pictures. I sold it as is for $ 400.00. Let me know if I can help, I’m in NC and the agent is Stephen Dennis Agency Inc. 336-637-8591…Good luck✌️

Attachments

• fgNslbULR6mcRxWDB7LDag.jpg
    fgNslbULR6mcRxWDB7LDag.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 115

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member