Controller Compairison. GL300C vs GL300A vs GL658B

WARNING FOR THE 32-Ch HACK.
The channels 13 - 20 are the "stock" HD (Rx) bandwidths opened from the P4 to the RC. Some of us "hacked" the Rx RC band to be able to receive channels from 21 - 32..
Except for Ch 22, ALL the upper channels are used by Sprint cell carrier for the LTE 2.5G band. Sprint is the only cell carrier in the US to use the 2.5G band for their high band LTE data. The tower radios have an Tx/P output of 16W and a radius of about 1.5 miles from tower. If you set the RC on any upper channels and are close enough to the Sprint towers, the LTE signal will drown the RF from the drone to your RC. I have good luck with Ch 22 for now, but still have problems with GO app 3.0.0. If you have any questions about the upper channels ask me, I work for Sprint.

View attachment 66992
This is good to know, thx. However every time I fly, channel 32 is dead as a door nail, absolutely no traffic. Do you know if Sprint is discontinuing their 2.5 service soon, like other carriers?

Sprint is the ONLY US carrier with this band in use and no other carriers have/had it, no plans to kill it in the future.
2.5G was acquired by Sprint as it purchased Clearwire/Wimax Same was with 800MHz after Sprint acquired Nextel. Originally Sprint was (and still is) operating on 1900MHz (1.9G) but after some disastrous acquisitions in the telecom industry they decided to keep the frequencies...
2.5G is a high band with short wave and weak penetration but has the ability to carry a lot of data with little energy, well suited for video transmission on short distances. Variations of this band is used by the media trucks on location sending the video feeds to the news station. Disadvantages of this frequency is that is very close to the water molecule resonance frequency (cooking MW) and water absorbs it very fast. Also a long exposure to the 2.5G will make you see red since it will excite the water in the blood and affect the vision.

Remember that ANY connection that is not welded (soldered) is a loss of 0.75dBm to 1dBm. As you know, a 3dBm increase in power means the Tx power is doubled, as is any decrease of -3dBm the Tx power is cut in half.
I do not put a lot of faith is testing the Tx power through a solid connection (connecting the Rx meter to the RC by cable) since what you see is not the true RF power received by the drone. Also you can have the best and most ideal Tx RC reading BUT if the Rx in the drone is weak, all the calculations are off the table. Not to mention, is the P3/P4 equipped with an LNA (low noise amplifier) to filter out all the noise and unwanted RF in the area? What about the RC receiver (Rx) does it have an LNA? To improve Tx and Rx of any units, Rx diversity is needed and the Div Imb should not exceed 3dBm (diversity Rx is achieved by having 2 antennas capable of RF Rx and should be calibrated within 100mHz band separation). In DJI case, RC and drone have ONLY 1 Tx and 1Rx antenna which makes it a low ball RF unit.

Diversity (Rx) makes a difference when none LOS or obstacles are inbetween RC and the Bird. I tested various antenna setups and also couplers. Same time tested and using Rf-linx and L-com 6W amps. Signal loss is a rare occurance. I need a mountain in between to loose signal. Ok.. The downside is that alone the two L-com amps cost more than the P4.. But gonna use it soon for the matrice 600. I agree that cable connections can ruin your efforts.

Please can somebody let me know what version controller this is as its the only picture I have from the seller? I know it's listed as an inspire controller but not sure how to tell if it's A,B or C.
a39d52dec344766e2599c6ac7e3a0217.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is some what confusing for a mere mortal. I thought all I had to do was use my Inspire controller with my P4, and life would be good. Now I don't know.

Reactions: Jim Canada
This is some what confusing for a mere mortal. I thought all I had to do was use my Inspire controller with my P4, and life would be good. Now I don't know.
What's so confusing? I switched to GL658A and life is good. Any of the GL658s should work better than a GL300C, for sure, assuming you're in the US. Add a Windsurfer to the antennas and you can easily get 2 to 3mi range in rural areas.

I'm unsure how the controllers react to being in Europe, since they auto adjust power output based on GPS location.

What's so confusing? I switched to GL658A and life is good. Any of the GL658s should work better than a GL300C, for sure, assuming you're in the US. Add a Windsurfer to the antennas and you can easily get 2 to 3mi range in rural areas.

I'm unsure how the controllers react to being in Europe, since they auto adjust power output based on GPS location.

I get over 3 miles in rural areas with the GL300C.

Official P4 Range Leaderboard

Could have kept going but was limited by the battery.

The part about when paired, Inspire, with a the P4 the power dropped. Also, the A,B, and C part on the Inspire being backwards compared to the GL300. I have read all your test. Thanks for doing those. I have a 300a, C, and the GL658A. Just been to cold for me to go out and try the different ones. The drone starts getting goose bumps very time I bring it out side.

WARNING FOR THE 32-Ch HACK.
The channels 13 - 20 are the "stock" HD (Rx) bandwidths opened from the P4 to the RC. Some of us "hacked" the Rx RC band to be able to receive channels from 21 - 32..
Except for Ch 22, ALL the upper channels are used by Sprint cell carrier for the LTE 2.5G band. Sprint is the only cell carrier in the US to use the 2.5G band for their high band LTE data. The tower radios have an Tx/P output of 16W and a radius of about 1.5 miles from tower. If you set the RC on any upper channels and are close enough to the Sprint towers, the LTE signal will drown the RF from the drone to your RC. I have good luck with Ch 22 for now, but still have problems with GO app 3.0.0. If you have any questions about the upper channels ask me, I work for Sprint.

View attachment 66992
Being a national license holder that leases that spectrum to Sprint, I can also tell you that the 2.5G spectrum is not widely deployed YET...

What I am saying is don't assume that because it works now, it will in the future.
I would be more than happy to send you my GL300A for testing. I was going to send it in anyway to have you mod it with connectors and buy an Evolite Kit.
Plan to mount the Amp and a pair of Omni's on my boat.

I would offer the GL658B for testing but it's on E Bay.

Sent from my SM-G935P using PhantomPilots mobile app

The part about when paired, Inspire, with a the P4 the power dropped. Also, the A,B, and C part on the Inspire being backwards compared to the GL300. I have read all your test. Thanks for doing those. I have a 300a, C, and the GL658A. Just been to cold for me to go out and try the different ones. The drone starts getting goose bumps very time I bring it out side.
Maxx says the power drops, but my flight experience and measurements clearly show about 50% increase of the control signal over GL300C. Maxx may be saying it drops from the level achieved with an Inspire, but linked to a P4 I'm convinced it was more than a GL300C, regardless. I'd like to see Maxx's numbers and methodology when comparing the various controllers linked to a P4 craft, but so far he has only said in general terms the power drops.

With GL658A or GL658C which would be best with P4. I have seen both available just not sure which to go for? Thanks guys and happy flying.

With GL658A or GL658C which would be best with P4. I have seen both available just not sure which to go for? Thanks guys and happy flying.

GL658C

Reactions: hotashes

Been there, The same 3 controllers I tested. They were all very close, no real stand out. The 300A is my go to, sold the 658A.
Let us know how they pan out for you.
John swears by his GL658A
Every bird and every environment are different..

Turbo

I just did a test. There was no obvious different between the GL300C, and the GL658A. I have two P4's, I guess I could try the other one.

Last edited:
Hmmm that's strange?

Remember, you're asking US pilots about their performance data which won't be relevant for your UK location. You cannot depend on US results to duplicate in the UK, due to the auto power adjustments the RC will automatically make, based on GPS location, to be compliant with CE. You're best bet is to boost the signal with external amps, which won't be CE compliant, but who cares, right?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1