Control Issue with Phantom 3 Pro - Controller seems to connect, but cannot move the drone up or down, turn or go sideways.

Reaction score
Today, I experienced an issue I've never seen before.
I had earlier crashed the drone (within 6 inches off the ground) but it ended up upside down with propellers still spinning.
The Phantom 3 Professional Symptoms:
Controller and drone seemed to connect ok... seeing satellites, battery levels, etc.. I can't recall if the camera was actually working normally or not.
Home Point was setting normally.
Drone would not start up by holding the sticks down.
It WOULD work with the DJI Go app slider take-off and would go up a few feet and hover.
Once it was hovering, I could not move in any direction and within a couple of minutes, it would just land on its own. I had tried the RTH to see if it would respond but it didn't.
I noticed that a "critical battery error" flashed and after landing it disappeared.
On the previous flight week earlier (same day of crash) after flying it successfully for a while, I was surprised with a "Critical Battery Error" then and the drone slowly came straight down and landed. The battery appeared normal - still showing green lights showing over 50% battery level.
Here's the thing... I took the drone out to do some training flights and it had no problems so it seems intermittent.
Today the problem reappeared and it would start and hover, but I had no navigational control. (It's probably a good thing as it was close to me and close to the ground.)
Now, as I think about it, I'm wondering if there is a battery connection issue putting it into an error mode (even though it didn't say it on the app) and that is what is preventing flight control. Seems strange that I could get the drone 3 feet into a hover without any kind of error showing on the app. When the critical battery warning came on the previous flight I had no control of the drone then. It just came straight down when and where the error occurred.
Has anyone else experienced this type of issue that might be able to guide me in the right direction of repair?

Happy new year

Got another battery to use,,sounds like something playing up with this battery, I would not trust if it gives errors,,,,mayby calibration of sticks needed but think the battery giving these issues,,mayby,,
Wont know unless another to try,if gives same symptoms start with imu calibration

It is very likely that the battery is the source of trouble. Maybe a bad connection like a damaged pin or something similar.
If the drone detect a critical low voltage it won't do anything. Just hoover for a while and then land.
Of course it could be something else but this seems the most reasonable source of the trouble.
Try with another batt.

I had the exactly same problem two weeks ago with my P3P as you describe except I didn't crash - merely landed a bit harder than usual. Whereas in every single previous flight over several years my two batteries were always fully charged at the beginning of a flight, this last time I thought they were fully charged but in fact they were at 50% where I normally keep them when not in use. I merely failed to check them before I went out to fly. Pilot error!! Once fully recharged again at the beginning of the latest flights, everything has gone smoothly and normally.

Reactions: meeestermike
I would say a battery problem. I would start with changing the battery and working from there. Is there any response from the controller by the way as this would be my nest point of investigation. Drone flipping upside down is never good so I hope its just the battery. Keep us posted.

Happy new year

Got another battery to use,,sounds like something playing up with this battery, I would not trust if it gives errors,,,,mayby calibration of sticks needed but think the battery giving these issues,,mayby,,
Wont know unless another to try,if gives same symptoms start with imu calibration
Thanks for your help. Yes, I did try another battery. I also got out of the app, rebooted the tablet, drone and controller and reconnected everything which appeared to go as normal all the way to the Home Point being set. The drone would go up to about 3 feet and hover and then after a couple of minutes come right back down with one landing it showing the critical battery error temporarily.
I've pretty well convinced myself it was caused by the low-level flip-flop with the drone. I must have jolted something loose internally. I marked the first battery when it had the "critical battery error". Then after using two other batteries and it did the same thing, I figure it isn't the battery, but I sure will be careful in the future.
I appreciate your help.

I had the exactly same problem two weeks ago with my P3P as you describe except I didn't crash - merely landed a bit harder than usual. Whereas in every single previous flight over several years my two batteries were always fully charged at the beginning of a flight, this last time I thought they were fully charged but in fact they were at 50% where I normally keep them when not in use. I merely failed to check them before I went out to fly. Pilot error!! Once fully recharged again at the beginning of the latest flights, everything has gone smoothly and normally.
This was the first sign of my issue due to an earlier crash where, like yours, my drone came straight down (if you look closely, I circled the bird on the ground) where it landed perfectly and kept its lights on flashing helping me find it. I thought it was going to be a long time finding it as I had it pretty far away and couldn't see it land. It's easy to see that it didn't miss the high power lines by much. It was above them when the "critical battery error" came up, paused for a second, and then proceeded to descend in a slow and steady manner. I didn't have any navigational control and could only watch in horror as it went down and out of my sight, not knowing where it was landing. I thought I was going to have to walk up and down a fairly steep hillside to look for it.
Quick note: I read in another post or video somewhere that it might have been possible to regain some control once it went into the error stage and descending by trying to ascend as quickly as possible and holding it in that position... never tried it and hope I never have a chance to try it again... lol.
Yep, it was this operator's fault it all transpired, I'm sorry to say.
Safe and happy flying!!!

Attachments

• phantom_down-marked.jpg
    phantom_down-marked.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 162

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers