Contacted by FAA !

Just go in and talk to the guy. The FAA is obviously working for us by changing the rules in our favor via part 107. You are kind of representing all of us here. Go in, be a stand up guy, and see what he has to say. I'm sure if you're reasonable with hi. He will be as well. Can't run and hide from the Feds. Plus if you build a good rapport with the guy, you could learn alot which is probably all he wants-- to educate fliers.

Just go in and talk to the guy. The FAA is obviously working for us by changing the rules in our favor via part 107. You are kind of representing all of us here. Go in, be a stand up guy, and see what he has to say. I'm sure if you're reasonable with hi. He will be as well. Can't run and hide from the Feds. Plus if you build a good rapport with the guy, you could learn alot which is probably all he wants-- to educate fliers.

I already spoke with them on the phone. It was a good conversation. I realize they are just trying to educate us.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Falcon900
Reading through the entire set of posts, the reason they had a signed for letter is so that they know you have received it. People know that with a delivered letter, you can always deny receiving it. Did you sign for it in your own name? They know more about you than you think.

Glad we don't have this stuff in the UK at the moment.

From what I understand, you have a camera on every street corner and within every one block or so. It is quite easy for them to identify you on the spot. AmiRight?

Also, EVERY bit on information passed within their nations WLAN or internet is monitored closely..more so then the states. people that use VPN's avoid the UK's Vpn servers for this very reason.

I was flying 100% safe. That was not the issue. The issue was that I was on the Blue Ridge Parkway in the mountains of North Carolina and this apparently is one great big national Park system. I simply was not aware that I was in a national park at the time. I find it hard to believe that the entire Parkway is part of the national Park but whatever. Whoever saw my Videos could not tell exactly where I was so who is to say that for sure I was flying in a prohibited area? I can appreciate what the FAA is going to keep everyone safe but at the same time you have a bunch of idiots out there flying over people, flying through big cities downtown, doing stupid tricks and maneuvers and putting people in harms way and here I am just trying to grab a few shots of the mountains.

IF AT ANYTIME you flew over 400 feet, you best bet a air traffic tower saw you :p or near a base, that would be worse...best thing to do at this point now is just be honest or get a lawyer, not sure if this is already done but im telling ya, i know im not going to make this same mistake.

IF AT ANYTIME you flew over 400 feet, you best bet a air traffic tower saw you :p or near a base, that would be worse...best thing to do at this point now is just be honest or get a lawyer, not sure if this is already done but im telling ya, i know im not going to make this same mistake.

I've been very honest. I didn't even come close to 400 feet. And like I've said over and over, I was way out in the mountains with literally nothing around. I received a letter from the FAA simply educating me and not showing any violations and I also spoke with them on the phone. During our conversation I cleared up the misinformation they had and confirmed I was NOT flying commercially. I mistakenly flew in an area I was not supposed to fly and I apologized and said it would not happen again.

The point of this thread is to educate people. Myself included. I made a mistake and others will now learn from it. We've also learned that the FAA absolutely does make contact via Facebook. They also know how to hunt people down. They send letters and make phone calls when they can. It's their job and what they're supposed to do. Sure I think some of the rules are a bit crazy but even they think that but they still have to enforce and educate people.

I've learned a big lesson on this and trust me, I'll never fly on the blue ridge parkway again! And I'll be much more aware of where I am anytime I fly. So they accomplished what they needed to accomplish.

I just spoke with the FAA. There were two or three guys on the phone and they were all pretty cool about it actually. It turns out I posted some videos flying near the Blue Ridge Parkway which is off-limits and I was not aware of that. Somebody got mad and reported me because I was not playing by the rules but I honestly did not even know the entire blue ridge parkway was off-limits.

I can see why it is off limits but it so beautiful there, I can see it hard to resist the urge to soar. I would move to Asheville area if there was any possibility of having a decent paying job.

I haven't read any thing that you have actually Registered you Quad Copter ( Drone ) if it was required. That is another reason they are asking for you Registration number and what is the weight of your Quad Copter or ( drone. ) It only cost $ 5.00 for the Registration.

I haven't read any thing that you have actually Registered you Quad Copter ( Drone ) if it was required. That is another reason they are asking for you Registration number and what is the weight of your Quad Copter or ( drone. ) It only cost $ 5.00 for the Registration.

Yes it is registered and it's labeled correctly with the registration number. I told the FAA that within 2 seconds of our first conversation. As I've been saying, their issue was a complaint reported about me flying on the blue ridge parkway and nothing more than that.

From what I've read you can't take off or land in a national park or congressional wilderness area...
But... To confuse things I've also read...
Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Folks, you can't just say that you've read something someplace; you have to cite an authoritative source, be it the FAA or the National Park Service or other official body. I could write "It's OK to fly your UAV over the White House" and anyone could then say "From what I've read it's OK to fly over the White House." I'm not an authoritative source. I try hard to seek out authoritative sources. It's not always easy--this is still relatively new, and an "authoritative source" can be hard to find. A park ranger might have a person opinion, and s/he might be wrong. I suggest googling, phoning and/or e-mailing until you get far enough up the chain to find out what the written regulations say. I don't give the authorities a rough time when questioned, but I do require that they cite the applicable law so that I can read it for myself.

That's Good that you took the 1st step in Registering your Drone. I did the same thing. I talked to an FAA man earlier this month for about 30 minutes by phone .I finally asked who I needed to contact since I live about 4 miles from the airport to fly and take pictures of my house and then get a wavier. I only need to fly about 20 meters high. I told him that the tree in my neighborhood are higher that that.
We all are learning. If you look at my avatar , we have tons of rules against us.We try and educate people that you don't need a garden shovel to get a Coin that is only 4 inches deep and don't put your trash back in the hole.

Suggested reading may be Part 101 (Hobbyist) and Part 107 (Commercial operators) AMA has member guidelines that probably mimic Part 101. A current VFR Sectional and some time with a flight instructor for non-pilots (manned) would be time well spent. Part of the Lake Michigan lake shore is also a no-fly zone. Please don't upset the migratory waterfowl, flying the lake shore. They will cxxx on your car while you are flying. Google search FAA Part 107. There is also an Advisory Circular from the FAA that will provide a summary of 107. All great rainy day reading.

Yes it is registered and it's labeled correctly with the registration number. I told the FAA that within 2 seconds of our first conversation. As I've been saying, their issue was a complaint reported about me flying on the blue ridge parkway and nothing more than that.

All through this thread, I have believed your conversation with the FAA was to inform you as you say, but their job is to enforce compliance with the regulations. They were listening and asking things that would establish whether you were doing the flying commercially. That's why their job title is Aviation Safety Inspector.

Looks like its time for me to get a new hobby. i got like 10k invested in this, so at least we all learned something :)

All through this thread, I have believed your conversation with the FAA was to inform you as you say, but their job is to enforce compliance with the regulations. They were listening and asking things that would establish whether you were doing the flying commercially. That's why their job title is Aviation Safety Inspector.

Actually their job is multifaceted and the very first facet is Education (informing). The full details can be obtained by reading this link:

FAA Compliance Philosophy 2015

The first level of interaction is Compliance Action:
"A Compliance Action is intended as an open and transparent safety information exchange between FAA personnel and you. Its only purpose is to restore compliance and to identify and correct the underlying causes that led to the deviation. Examples of Compliance Actions include on-the-spot corrections, counseling, and additional training (including remedial training)."

VAIL8150,
You are 100% correct if flying commercially for hire, compensation, or to further a business even though there is no compensation. He can fly as a hobbyist as long as the aircraft has an FAA registration. Flying in a national park violates both sets of rules, hobby or Part 107. To fly in the park, he needs a waiver, which takes 3 months and will probably be denied based on "it's federal park." The may be looking at commercial intent since he posted video. No compensation needs to pass for commercial intent, then he needs a Commercial UAS license as you described. A farmer flying over his corn field needs a Commercial UAS license to make it legal. Will he get caught, doubtful. Park video is easily triangulate to find the point or location of the UAS. If you maintain line of site to the drone, how could you not be operating out of park property? A flight log of maintenance, preflight inspections, and flight details are a must to cover your tracks.
I must inquire why is this area in question so special and made difficult to fly in? Is this another Area 51 thing? Seriously, most of us are just big boys with very expensive toys. We don't wish harm to our craft, or anything/one.

I must inquire why is this area in question so special and made difficult to fly in? Is this another Area 51 thing? Seriously, most of us are just big boys with very expensive toys. We don't wish harm to our craft, or anything/one.

This area is part of the National Park Service (NPS) and since 2014 all unmanned aircraft have been banned from launching/landing in any NPS managed properties. It's not mysterious or secret it's just NPS and as such flights from it are not allowed.

Fact Sheet – Small Unmanned Aircraft Regulations (Part 107)
For Immediate Release
June 21, 2016
Phone: 202-267-3883

The new rules for non-hobbyist small unmanned aircraft (UAS) operations – Part 107 of the Federal Aviation Regulations (PDF) – cover a broad spectrum of commercial uses for drones weighing less than 55 pounds. Here are the highlights of the new rule.

Operating Requirements
The small UAS operator manipulating the controls of a drone should always avoid manned aircraft and never operate in a careless or reckless manner. You must keep your drone within sight. Alternatively, if you use First Person View or similar technology, you must have a visual observer always keep your aircraft within unaided sight (for example, no binoculars). However, even if you use a visual observer, you must still keep your unmanned aircraft close enough to be able to see it if something unexpected happens. Neither you nor a visual observer can be responsible for more than one unmanned aircraft operation at a time.

You can fly during daylight or in twilight (30 minutes before official sunrise to 30 minutes after official sunset, local time) with appropriate anti-collision lighting. Minimum weather visibility is three miles from your control station. The maximum allowable altitude is 400 feet above the ground, and higher if your drone remains within 400 feet of a structure. The maximum speed is 100 mph (87 knots).

You can’t fly a small UAS over anyone who is not directly participating in the operation, not under a covered structure, or not inside a covered stationary vehicle. No operations from a moving vehicle are allowed unless you are flying over a sparsely populated area.

Operations in Class G airspace are allowed without air traffic control permission. Operations in Class B, C, D and E airspace need ATC approval. See Chapter 14 in the Pilot's Handbook (PDF).

You can carry an external load if it is securely attached and does not adversely affect the flight characteristics or controllability of the aircraft. You also may transport property for compensation or hire within state boundaries provided the drone – including its attached systems, payload and cargo – weighs less than 55 pounds total and you obey the other flight rules. (Some exceptions apply to Hawaii and the District of Columbia. These are spelled out in Part 107.)

You can request a waiver of most operational restrictions if you can show that your proposed operation can be conducted safely under a waiver. The FAA will make an online portal available to apply for such waivers.

Pilot Certification
To operate the controls of a small UAS under Part 107, you need a remote pilot airman certificate with a small UAS rating, or be under the direct supervision of a person who holds such a certificate

You must be at least 16 years old to qualify for a remote pilot certificate, and you can obtain it in one of two ways:

• You may pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center.
  • If you already have a Part 61 pilot certificate, other than a student pilot certificate, you must have completed a flight review in the previous 24 months and you must take a small UAS online training course provided by the FAA.
If you have a non-student pilot Part 61 certificate, you will immediately receive a temporary remote pilot certificate when you apply for a permanent certificate. Other applicants will obtain a temporary remote pilot certificate upon successful completion of a security background check. We anticipate we will be able to issue temporary certificates within 10 business days after receiving a completed application.

UAS Certification
You are responsible for ensuring a drone is safe before flying, but the FAA does not require small UAS to comply with current agency airworthiness standards or obtain aircraft certification.Instead, the remote pilot will simply have to perform a preflight visual and operational check of the small UAS to ensure that safety-pertinent systems are functioning properly. This includes checking the communications link between the control station and the UAS. The UAS must also be registered.

Respecting Privacy
Although the new rule does not specifically deal with privacy issues in the use of drones, and the FAA does not regulate how UAS gather data on people or property, the FAA is acting to address privacy considerations in this area. The FAA strongly encourages all UAS pilots to check local and state laws before gathering information through remote sensing technology or photography.

As part of a privacy education campaign, the agency will provide all drone users with recommended privacy guidelines as part of the UAS registration process and through the FAA’s B4UFly mobile app. The FAA also will educate all commercial drone pilots on privacy during their pilot certification process; and will issue new guidance to local and state governments on drone privacy issues. The FAA’s effort builds on the privacy “best practices” (PDF) the National Telecommunications and Information Administration published last month as the result of a year-long outreach initiative with privacy advocates and industry.

Other Requirements
If you are acting as pilot in command, you have to comply with several other provisions of the rule:

• You must make your drone available to the FAA for inspection or testing on request, and you must provide any associated records required to be kept under the rule.
  • You must report to the FAA within 10 days any operation that results in serious injury, loss of consciousness, or property damage (to property other than the UAS) of at least $500.

Folks, you can't just say that you've read something someplace; you have to cite an authoritative source, be it the FAA or the National Park Service or other official body. I could write "It's OK to fly your UAV over the White House" and anyone could then say "From what I've read it's OK to fly over the White House." I'm not an authoritative source. I try hard to seek out authoritative sources. It's not always easy--this is still relatively new, and an "authoritative source" can be hard to find. A park ranger might have a person opinion, and s/he might be wrong. I suggest googling, phoning and/or e-mailing until you get far enough up the chain to find out what the written regulations say. I don't give the authorities a rough time when questioned, but I do require that they cite the applicable law so that I can read it for myself.

Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems and the National Park Service
Current Status
On June 19, 2014, National Park Service Director Jonathon B. Jarvis signed Policy Memorandum 14–05, Unmanned Aircraft – Interim Policy. Its purpose was “to ensure that the use of unmanned aircraft is addressed in a consistent manner by the NPS before a significant level of such use occurs within the National Park System.” Each superintendent was directed “to use the authority under 36 CFR 1.5 to close units of the National Park System to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft…” This policy is still in place and the public may not use unmanned aircraft in the national parks.

Aviation: Unmanned Aerial Systems | U.S. National Park Service

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl