Considering the Crystal Sky Ultra, but how does it stack up?

Ive been using the 5.5in model for several months now with no issues in high heat, is this typically with the 7.85in model?
That's what I wondered are all the problems mainly with the ultra high bright and or the 7.8 or is it just the ultra bright?

I have the 7.85" Ultrabright model. And if you Google the problem, there is a disturbing number of discussions about this and overheating problems. Apparently, when it gets into the 80s, the panel works for about 5 minutes and then shuts down with an overheat message.
I'm in a bit of a quandry, because I cannot fly in the daytime without it, and using my reliable phone would limit me to flying at dusk or at night when I can see the screen.

I think they should all be sent back for a refund

I have the 7.85" Ultrabright model. And if you Google the problem, there is a disturbing number of discussions about this and overheating problems. Apparently, when it gets into the 80s, the panel works for about 5 minutes and then shuts down with an overheat message.
I'm in a bit of a quandry, because I cannot fly in the daytime without it, and using my reliable phone would limit me to flying at dusk or at night when I can see the screen.
Yeah I was told they corrected the problem

Yeah I was told they corrected the problem
Maybe somewhere there's a list of serial numbers of the ones that have been fixed.
In other words from a specific serial number and higher the problem has been fixed.

Reactions: Basspig
That list would be handy. Else how do we know if we got one of the bad designed units?
Somebody's got to have a phone number for the manufacturer maybe they can give up the information.

Reactions: Brent10
Maybe somewhere there's a list of serial numbers of the ones that have been fixed.
In other words from a specific serial number and higher the problem has been fixed.
Yeah well I received a freshly restocked one from a retailer so you would think its OK but it wasn't. Just buy one from a retaler with a good return policy just in case you need it

Is anybody having problems with the 7.85 high brightness not the ultra?

Here are my experiences - started with a 7.85 ultra bright. Bad juju - I've documented my issues here. Replaced it with a 'regular bright'. First one I received was DOA. Second one works 'OK'. It is bright enough for my work (SE Alaska, not exactly the brightest spot on the planet but occasionally the sun comes out). It is slower to respond to screen taps - significantly slower than an older iPad mini. But adequate. It does not like switching RCs. Have to reboot everything once or twice to get it to settle down although the latest firmware seems to have helped the issue.

I like the ports.....

I also have a small 'regular bright' hooked to a Mavic Pro. This one is a little trooper. Turns on and off and just works. I have not tried switching RCs with it however and in the beginning I had some issues. Mostly needed rebooting a couple of times to get it to deal with the controller.

Again, this is classic DJI. Great concept, borderline hardware and very buggy software that they *eventually* more or less figure out. The Phantom 3's seem to be well debugged at this stage. Mine just fly and fly. Earlier on I had the typical hair pulling experiences of wonky 'updates' and random - but major - issues. I suspect that DJI will fix the issues. I also suspect that the Ultra Bright is really pushing the edge of what is possible for a given price.

A 7 inch, production quality, 2200 nit monitor sells for $2200:

SmallHD 703 UltraBright On-Camera Monitor with SDI/HDMI Conversion

(I have an earlier version, 1000 nit, rugged, effective)

Trying to cram everything in a small form factor AND keep the price to half this monitor, I believe, is just a bit beyond DJI at the moment.

You would think that the CS would be equipped with a top of the line CPU, by the way they tout it as being more responsive, and having all the hardware acceleration, etc. But in reality, it is pretty lackluster in terms of just tablet performance.

Thank you for the honest review, it's much appreciated, I had no idea there was this many issues with CS, and I would have expected DJI to offer better support for it.

I have a P4 Pro and a CS High Brightness and I’ve experienced none of the negative issues Paul mentions.

EDIT:
I forgot that sliders in the Go4 app stopped working after the last update. I was trying to set orbit speed in POI mode and had to slide the slider DOZENS of times before it would respond...and then it went to a value way higher than I desired. Had to give up. Others have reported similar problems. Grrrr.

Last edited:
Is anybody having problems with the 7.85 high brightness not the ultra?

My high brightness CS has been behaving fairly well over the past few months with my P4 Pro. This weekend, I plan to test how it handles 95°F+ Summer heat in direct sun.

My high brightness CS has been behaving fairly well over the past few months with my P4 Pro. This weekend, I plan to test how it handles 95°F+ Summer heat in direct sun.

Would you be willing to to try a little test , press the RTH button on one of your flights and then check the flight record if it records the entire flight before and after you entered RTH

Reactions: Brent10
Was up on Father's Day and it was 86°F. Did 3 flights/batteries and had no trouble with the display or software. Later that evening, I did a takeoff from the roof to get some night photos over the mountain. Just after I landed, DJI Go said "not responding". The jury's still out on whether that's a CS problem or an app problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing