Connecting fpv transmitter

Reaction score
Guys, I may have messed up, but not totally sure. I bought the transmitter I will link below. Unfortunately I may have made a really stupid move it and I removed the plastic around it before realizing everyone in every how to video kept it on and attacted tape to it.i don't know if that's necessary or if I should just put tape on the board, I suppose it wouldn't matter aside from any potential heat it may give off.

Furthermore, my cabling appears different than in the videos I see. I cant so far figure out where to attatch the cables, can someone give me some pointers? I will include pictures of the PCB in the phantom 2 vision. Videos I see connect it to "cam" but the included plug does not fit. Additionally, the how to videos I see have one cable connecting to the drone and 2 connecting to the transmitter. I seem to have the opposite.

Guys, I may have messed up, but not totally sure. I bought the transmitter I will link below. Unfortunately I may have made a really stupid move it and I removed the plastic around it before realizing everyone in every how to video kept it on and attacted tape to it.i don't know if that's necessary or if I should just put tape on the board, I suppose it wouldn't matter aside from any potential heat it may give off.

Furthermore, my cabling appears different than in the videos I see. I cant so far figure out where to attach the cables, can someone give me some pointers? I will include pictures of the PCB in the phantom 2 vision. Videos I see connect it to "cam" but the included plug does not fit. Additionally, the how to videos I see have one cable connecting to the drone and 2 connecting to the transmitter. I seem to have the opposite.

[/URL]
This is really just a run-of-the-mill racing drone-type 5.8 Ghz FPV transmitter with a fixed 600mW power output.

The main problem with such a transmitter is that at 600 mW, the amount of heat that it generates when transmitting is significant. Of course, without ventilation, excessive heat can cause big problems in drones/quadcopters, including melting components and subsequent transmitter/other component failure. It can also soften any mounting tape used.

From what you wrote, by removing the (I guess) shrink-wrap covering on the transmitter, you have actually increased its ability to radiate generated heat, so it should, in fact, work better.

But on the downside, you have to look at where it is installed. If it's in a closed drone frame (as in your case?) with no ventilation, then you may have problems, but if it's strapped on the outside then the heat dissipation will be far better - but protection against the elements (moisture/rain/snow etc) will not be so good. By removing the shrink-wrap, you have also increased the chance of creating a short-circuit, depending on how/where you mount it.

Using the search engine here (magnifying glass, top right) and keywords ' Phantom 2 FPV' gets these results.

Please read through those search results and do some more searches yourself here, but with carefully selected different relevant keywords - and you may find some more information to help you.

In summary, so far you haven't done anything that can't be reversed, (by some special heat-shrink plastic and a heat-gun, or even a lighter), but please do some more research so you understand more about what you are doing.

As regards the wiring - again you'll no doubt find more info here by searching.For example:-

Of course, if you find anything else you're not sure of, then please don't be afraid to come back and ask... :)

(Added later) Some people even add an aluminium/aluminum heat sink to their 600mW FPV transmitters - but it's best of course, when the FPV transmitter is mounted outside, with better airflow..

Last edited:
You mean 600mW right ?...
This is really just a run-of-the-mill racing drone-type 5.8 Ghz FPV transmitter with a fixed 600w power output.

The main problem with such a transmitter is that at 600 watts, the amount of heat that it generates when transmitting is significant. Of course, without ventilation, excessive heat can cause big problems in drones/quadcopters, including melting components and subsequent transmitter/other component failure. It can also soften any mounting tape used.

From what you wrote, by removing the (I guess) shrink-wrap covering on the transmitter, you have actually increased its ability to radiate generated heat, so it should, in fact, work better.

But on the downside, you have to look at where it is installed. If it's in a closed drone frame (as in your case?) with no ventilation, then you may have problems, but if it's strapped on the outside then the heat dissipation will be far better - but protection against the elements (moisture/rain/snow etc) will not be so good. By removing the shrink-wrap, you have also increased the chance of creating a short-circuit, depending on how/where you mount it.

Using the search engine here (magnifying glass, top right) and keywords ' Phantom 2 FPV' gets these results.

Please read through those search results and do some more searches yourself here, but with carefully selected different relevant keywords - and you may find some more information to help you.

In summary, so far you haven't done anything that can't be reversed, (by some special heat-shrink plastic and a heat-gun, or even a lighter), but please do some more research so you understand more about what you are doing.

As regards the wiring - again you'll no doubt find more info here by searching.For example:-

Of course, if you find anything else you're not sure of, then please don't be afraid to come back and ask... :)

(Added later) Some people even add an aluminium/aluminum heat sink to their 600w FPV transmitters - but it's best of course, when the FPV transmitter is mounted outside, with better airflow..

Reactions: Steve7777

Furthermore, my cabling appears different than in the videos I see. I cant so far figure out where to attatch the cables, can someone give me some pointers? I will include pictures of the PCB in the phantom 2 vision. Videos I see connect it to "cam" but the included plug does not fit. Additionally, the how to videos I see have one cable connecting to the drone and 2 connecting to the transmitter. I seem to have the opposite.

To clarify the TS832 Boscam FPV 5.8G 48CH 600mW video TX was originally used for the Phantom 2 non-vision. And it can be used on any UAS that uses the 2.4GHz as an R/C flight control signal. As for the heat shrink wrap around the TX it had nothing to do with dissipating heat from the TX but to protect the electronics from possible shorts. Since the Phantom 2 vision used a 5.8GHz R/C flight control signal the Boscam TS832 could not be used to transmit a video signal without a lot of modifications.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20