Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first posting on this forum so this question also serves simultaneously as my greeting to you all.

I've very recently purchased my first drone, a Phantom 3 Adv, and I'm rather keen to stay within the rules and regulations - getting shut down serves no purpose to anyone!
My question is this: is there an actual specific definition of a 'congested area'? I currently just presume it means somewhere with a house, but to my mind that doesn't match with the definition of 'congested'. Can anybody clarify with me what that means? I live in a rural area on a farm but I have two cottages next to my house which I let out - would I be in breach of the rules if I was to overfly those houses enroute to the meadow adjacent?

Thanks in advance, take care,

Rhys

I live in a rural setting too but do over fly my neighbours yards and houses occasionally and yes I'm pretty sure if someone wanted to complain that could be illegal. I've flow RC in urban and sub urban areas over the years and if your using common sense and mindful of others I've had zero complaints and only one interaction with the law flying at night, they just wanted something to tell 911 about the "UFOs".

Where they'll be sticky about "congested areas" is downtown in cities and overflying crowded parks and playgrounds, and suburbs with people who like to complain about other people having fun.

As long as your neighbours like you and you don't crash int their stuff it probably won't be a problem.

You'll be fine. The caa classes a congested area as "any area of a city, town or settlement which is substantially used for residential, industrial, commercial or recreational purposes."

Marvellous - so lawfully two isolated properties cannot be classed as a location that is used substantially for residential purposes. Thank you.

I'm not going to start buzzing their houses, but I'm happy that I can fly over them to get to where I want to go rather than flying around them.

I appreciate all the responses. Thank you.

Thank you. No, I'm in the UK.

That;'s what I thought. :) So it looks like you're OK - just make sure you're flying well above the rooftops. Also wouldn't hurt to talk to your neighbors and let them know.

Not a whole lot of rules in the UK now, but I bet that will change after the airport incident!

Sure, I was thinking of running it over to them on the weekend actually. It can't hurt to show them I cannot spy on them, effectively at least!

Indeed there may well be some announcements shortly. I know that the CAA and EASA are concocting something - it'll be interesting to see where they stand.

Forgive me, how what is supposed to be?
sorry about that I got called out and forgot to insert the photo so here it is

20161230_153436.jpg

Jolly good, thank you for those graphics. They look like they are from the CAA, correct?

Hi below is a reply I had from the CAA by email hope it helps as I asked them the question "what is the legal definition of a crowd?"

Many thanks for your email.

Your quote from the ANO is slightly mistranscribed. The quote should read as follows:

“over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons”

So as you can see, the crowd size limit is 1000 people or more.

Yours sincerely

UAV Services | Civil Aviation Authority
Email [email protected]
Phone 01293 768374

Reactions: Alba52
Jolly good, thank you for those graphics. They look like they are from the CAA, correct?
I can't remember now as I've had it on my phone for a long time , I have it there to show people that tell me I shouldn't do this or that, once they see it they shut up and usually go away

Hi below is a reply I had from the CAA by email hope it helps as I asked them the question "what is the legal definition of a crowd?"

Many thanks for your email.

Your quote from the ANO is slightly mistranscribed. The quote should read as follows:

“over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons”

So as you can see, the crowd size limit is 1000 people or more.

Yours sincerely

UAV Services | Civil Aviation Authority
Email [email protected]
Phone 01293 768374

Thank you for that, I appreciate the extra info.

I can't remember now as I've had it on my phone for a long time , I have it there to show people that tell me I shouldn't do this or that, once they see it they shut up and usually go away

Haha, defeat them with superior knowledge. It always works.

Do your neighbors have hot daughters in bikinis?
If not, I find that most people are fascinated by the drones.

Geerrr Eastbourne Council get your head out the sand ....Well out the pebbles.
Beachy Head no fly zone.

Attachments

• IMG_3029.JPG
    IMG_3029.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 348

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member