Confusing dji article

Thank you to all for your clarification! The part that confused me was this on page 53 of the previous P4P manual which states

"When operating in P-mode, height limits, distance limits, and No-Fly Zones function concurrently to manage flight safety. In A-mode, only height limits are in effect, which by default prevent the aircraft altitude from exceeding 1640 feet (500 m) ."

So we now know from evidence presented here. This is not the case. In A mode you are restricted by NFZ boundaries as well.
Indeed you are. Even in atti mode it still shows up on the map so it still knows where its at. The only thing that will stop that is by blocking the GPS antenna and it will think its inside. If your gonna do that you can forget rth or locating it on the map. Your flying with just the camera to navigate.

Reactions: K9VXV
DJI is not clear as to what's going to be restricted with these new changes in place. If you don't want to be affected by the changes, then make sure you're running everything in a bubble (i.e. don't connect to the Internet, don't update DJI GO, don't update the firmware). Running in a bubble is not really practical though. Whatever DJI is cooking up will most likely be applied to anything you buy from them in the future.
This is exactly why my Phantoms and my Inspire sit at whatever update is RIGHT before they introduced GEO (I believe the Phantom is like 1.8.8 or something along those lines, can't recall) and this is exactly why I probably will no longer buy a DJI product. I have enjoyed my DJI products, there is NO DOUBT about that, and I will never deny that fact, but all these regs that are blanket applied are like punishing every driver because of two idiot drivers who can't get it under control. Do I know that it's more than 2 idiots wreaking havoc in the DJI world? Yes... I am not stupid, I pay attention to the news, and the crap going on, but it boils down to the people who keep saying things like "you're ruining the hobby"... A LOT of people give the guys saying to others that they are ruining the hobby crap, and say stuff like "if I see one more clown say someone is ruining the hobby", but this is the end result. We ALL get punished, and ALL get restricted.
Am I dissing DJI for introducing this stuff? Not really, as they are the number 1 retailer for these products which theses idiots pick up at the local WalMart / Best Buy / Staples / Almost anywhere anymore, because of how they've been mainstreamed. And then because they have been designed so any idiot, just like Casey Neistat, can fly one of these in ANY fashion they want, and then post YouTube videos about it and their ridiculous escapades of stupidity and "near misses" or "look how high I am and how far I am"... And people wonder why DJI is now "forcing" all those that are good sheep and go along with the software updates to "re-register" and call it a burden or pain, or "I can't believe they are making us do this". Well, it's simple, it's because idiots are "ruining the hobby and going to ruin it for everyone"... So all those clowns who were down on the guys suggesting to stop being stupid, or at the very least stop posting videos about being stupid, can finally see the end result of total stupidity.
Lets face it, either governmental law was going to come down the pipe, or something similar to this was going to happen. I am just glad I bought what I wanted before these types of updates rolled out, and I am glad I didn't go down the rabbit hole and update like a good boy (everything flies fine BTW, no complaints here). It looks like I will have to just keep on building my custom multi rotors for whatever purposes I need in the future, which isn't so bad because I can do what I want and build / design with endurance and flight time in mind as well as weight carrying.
/rant

P.S. I am sure I will get some flame for this, and that is fine, or some "what you don't get is" type responses, and I get it, I truly do. Trust me though, to put this out there, I am NOT blaming DJI at all. I can think something sucks and still not blame the company, after all they have to protect their rear.. I mean I would hate to build an awesome product that everyone could fly, only to see "DJI drone collides with airplane" "DJI Drone crashes into Space Needle" "DJI Drone used to spy on neighbor lady" etc etc... Just remember, idiots, or at least publicly postind idiots caused all this. :)

No Flame here... I totally agree with where the DJI is probably
coming from...
BUT....
When I bought my P4P+ I did so knowing all it's features and
capabilities... and then plunked down my hard earned $$$
for exactly that.
My P4P+ flies just like advertised when I bough it and I have
no problems with it. It is NOT defective. I don't need to fix it.

I see no reason for DJI to be able to limit my product after
the fact whenever they please without consulting me or asking
if I agreed or giving me a choice to do so.
They did not pay for my P4P+.... I did. It is 100% my product
now. They no longer have a legal claim to what I bought outright.

That is where I have a problem with DJI and their latest pseudo
forced update.

No Flame here... I totally agree with where the DJI is probably
coming from...
BUT....
When I bought my P4P+ I did so knowing all it's features and
capabilities... and then plunked down my hard earned $$$
for exactly that.
My P4P+ flies just like advertised when I bough it and I have
no problems with it. It is NOT defective. I don't need to fix it.

I see no reason for DJI to be able to limit my product after
the fact whenever they please without consulting me or asking
if I agreed or giving me a choice to do so.
They did not pay for my P4P+.... I did. It is 100% my product
now. They no longer have a legal claim to what I bought outright.

That is where I have a problem with DJI and their latest pseudo
forced update.

Exactly, once an item is bought, they shouldn't be able / have the right to tell me what I MUST do in order to keep using the product I paid over $1000 for (I have a P4, P3P, and Inspire) each, or if I don't comply they'll cripple me? I'd rather sell them and build my own as I've done numerous times, or finally give the competition a chance and see how theirs is. DJI will not get a single dollar from me ever again, that is a guarantee. I don't care HOW advanced the next best thing is they come up with, which is a shame as I had planned to pull the trigger on a decked out Inspire 2 soon since I like the platform. Instead I'll build a hex to Carry my DSLR, and probably come out cheaper anyway with longer battery life.

The only thing that would make all this easier to accept is IF at some point in the future, gov't(s) collectively pass bills that heavily restrict any drone that DOESN'T have the capabilities that restrict them from flying when and where they shouldn't.

Then, in the end, both DJI and DJI product owners win.

The process of updating devices has been around for some time now - Apple / Microsoft / Android all update their apps and OS regularly, and always after one bought the 'working product', and I believe always to improve security, fix bugs or improve functionality - DJI appears to be doing same, I don't see a problem. Apple 'could' shut down your device remotely (and probably should when they ring in a cinema). Your cars engine management firmware is updated when necessary & 'could' do unrequested things as a result. This is about NFZ after all, surely one is not arguing to be able to override this safety / security capability..

Reactions: sar104
The process of updating devices has been around for some time now - Apple / Microsoft / Android all update their apps and OS regularly, and always after one bought the 'working product', and I believe always to improve security, fix bugs or improve functionality - DJI appears to be doing same, I don't see a problem. Apple 'could' shut down your device remotely (and probably should when they ring in a cinema). Your cars engine management firmware is updated when necessary & 'could' do unrequested things as a result. This is about NFZ after all, surely one is not arguing to be able to override this safety / security capability..

Who gets to decide what is safe and secure? Do the people passing the laws actually understand drones? No.

The concern is that at some point in the future the government will massively overstep (or DJI will poorly interpret the law) and our drones will effectively be disabled. Look at Canada for an example of this, this is not theoretical, it has already happened, and that wasn't even the elected government, nut rather a single bureaucrat acting on his own, yet it has the force of law. Some of us see that and just assume that our government will do something just as retarded in the future, or at least recognize the possibility that they will. Or, alternatively DJI may simply misinterpret the law and restrict our drones far more than ks necessary. Again, look at Canada, how many on this very site read their new law literally and interpreted it as a total ban? Couldn't DJI do the same thing?

I see no reason for DJI to be able to limit my product after the fact whenever they please without consulting me or asking if I agreed or giving me a choice to do so.
They did not pay for my P4P+.... I did. It is 100% my product now. They no longer have a legal claim to what I bought outright.

That is where I have a problem with DJI and their latest pseudo forced update.
Exactly, once an item is bought, they shouldn't be able / have the right to tell me what I MUST do in order to keep using the product I paid over $1000 for (I have a P4, P3P, and Inspire) each, or if I don't comply they'll cripple me?
Calm down guys.
The initial post in this thread was wrong and this has been pointed out many, many times through the thread.
But 20 pages later there are still people wanting to say how angry they are that DJI is going to do .. (all kinds of imagined things).

The recent update to the Go 4 app was not forced. No-one has to do it.
If you do update the app, you won't see any changes to the way you can use your Phantom except that you have to login again once.
That's it.
And now we have 20 pages of ridiculous nonsense because people get over excited about what they imagine without checking the facts.

Calm down guys.
The initial post in this thread was wrong and this has been pointed out many, many times through the thread.
But 20 pages later there are still people wanting to say how angry they are that DJI is going to do .. (all kinds of imagined things).

The recent update to the Go 4 app was not forced. No-one has to do it.
If you do update the app, you won't see any changes to the way you can use your Phantom except that you have to login again once.
That's it.
And now we have 20 pages of ridiculous nonsense because people get over excited about what they imagine without checking the facts.

Unless I am a total idiot, and misread the MANY postings from their (DJI) email, and the mass forums presence about said topic, they clearly stated that if you update to the latest firmware, and DJI go App, and then do you as you said, log in / register again, you're fine. If not, you then have crippled functions / features. That initial update isn't the issue, that's fine and dandy (and I will NOT do it), but it's what is coming after that. Maybe nothing will come of it, maybe little things will come down the line, like more height restrictions (fine) distance limits (sucks, but define distance limit, can they determine how far YOU are I can see something LOS? and isn't the worst) but then there could be the whole limitation of grounding you, period, or you can fly as high as the roof of your house, the distance of your front yard.. Who knows, the fact is it's there, and the update will give them more power to control your device. They shouldn't have the desire to do this because of a few idiots. Like I said in my post originally, I know why they're doing it, and I don't exactly blame them. Do I want them to? No! Will i buy DJI in the future because of it? No! but I do not blame them. It's all because some idiots got their hands on some awesome tech, and have used it for evil, for idiotic reasons, or are just so blatantly ignorant about the law that they don't think it applies to them, so they do what they want, and then we ALL get the blame. That's my rant.

You are correct Meta4, I should know better, particularly debating against what may happen in the future, it's become pointless and unproductive on this topic

Reactions: sar104
The truth is, both sides have merit.

The simple, boiled down feeling on one side is "this wasn't like this when I bought it, and I paid a lot of money for it. No one should have the right to change or threaten to change it now that it's mine".

On the other hand, it certainly makes sense to not become irrationally agitated over something that may or may not ever happen.

But the debate is healthy, spirited, and interesting. There's never any harm in examining multiple slides of any scenario.

In fact, the subject at debate is not at all unlike this or any forum… If you don't like what's being said here, you don't have to join and you don't have to read.

It's easier to just own a gun. Nobody's hassling you about how you use that.

That's a JOKE. Please, NSA, FAA, etc., don't come after me. I was kidding.

No, really.

It's easier to just own a gun. Nobody's hassling you about how you use that.

That's a JOKE. Please, NSA, FAA, etc., don't come after me. I was kidding.

No, really.

At least no one can go to your house and install an extra trigger lock on it after you own it, or make the bullets drop to the ground after 30' if you don't! [emoji12]

Here's an excellent reference to support the feeling of those who are agitated that their purchase is under threat of being altered once they own it...

I'm actually surprised it took me this long to remember:

Remember a couple of years ago when Apple allowed the new U2 album to be pushed to everybody's phone, for free?

You woke up in the morning, and you had the new free U2 album in your music folder.

Remember the uproar?

Nobody was taking anything away from you. Nobody was costing you anything. In fact, you were being given something, for free.

People HATED it. People demanded it be removed from their phone, or to be given the option to remove it themselves. Apple didn't expect that. U2 didn't expect that.

People don't want something they have already bought and own to be accessed, altered or modified in any way without their consent.

It undermines the feeling of "ownership".

Here's an excellent reference to support the feeling of those who are agitated that their purchase is under threat of being altered once they own it...

I'm actually surprised it took me this long to remember:

Remember a couple of years ago when Apple allowed the new U2 album to be pushed to everybody's phone, for free?

You woke up in the morning, and you had the new free U2 album in your music folder.

Remember the uproar?

Nobody was taking anything away from you. Nobody was costing you anything. In fact, you were being given something, for free.

People HATED it. People demanded it be removed from their phone, or to be given the option to remove it themselves. Apple didn't expect that. U2 didn't expect that.

People don't want something they have already bought and own to be accessed, altered or modified in any way without their consent.

It undermines the feeling of "ownership".

As you noted - that event happened without any consent by the user. How many times does it have to be pointed out that all DJI software and firmware updates are entirely optional before people stop posting alarmist nonsense and inappropriate analogies?

Remember the uproar a couple of years ago when people found out that their iPhone was tracking their every movement?

You could go into location services and see where you had been, how often you had been there, how long you stayed there when you got there…. No doubt marriages ended over it.

This was big enough news that my favourite sensationalistic reporter Jeff Rossen had a bit on it on NBC news.

People don't like that feeling... call it what you want, deception, subversion, whatever. Apple knew what they were doing (IMO), which is why they buried it so deeply into Location Services folders.

And they buried it so deeply (IMO) because they knew people wouldn't like it.

It shouldn't come as a surprise that not everyone is going to feel the same way about everything, especially when it comes to their privacy or their "stuff".

So it's great to make arguments but best not to be come impassioned about anything you read here, or anywhere else... I thought it was shocking my phone was doing that but now I really don't care and I actually use it to my advantage.

Just gather the info and make the best decision you can, for you, on whatever the topic.

That could be anything from acceptance, to a groundswell movement against the "man"...

But nobody is "wrong" for feeling what they feel.

Reactions: Duchunter
As you noted - that event happened without any consent by the user. How many times does it have to be pointed out that all DJI software and firmware updates are entirely optional before people stop posting alarmist nonsense and inappropriate analogies?

I understand what you mean, but I think there is somewhat of a feeling of unfairness...

It's hard to explain without riling the masses, but I'll try;

The average person, I think, understands that the update is optional but is unhappy with the alternative; which is, not updating. And a lot of people feel trapped by that...

No updating means no bug fixes. No DJI support. Less commonality among users, so less consistency and by extension less peer support.

All I'm saying is I understand the frustration. Sure there are ways around it, I'm just saying I understand it.

I understand what you mean, but I think there is somewhat of a feeling of unfairness...

It's hard to explain without riling the masses, but I'll try;

The average person, I think, understands that the update is optional but is unhappy with the alternative; which is, not updating. And a lot of people feel trapped by that...

No updating means no bug fixes. No DJI support. Less commonality among users, so less consistency and by extension less peer support.

All I'm saying is I understand the frustration. Sure there are ways around it, I'm just saying I understand it.

Ah - so they want the updates for the advantages they bring, but they want to be able to choose which advantages those are? Maybe DJI should produce an entire suite of update versions to choose from each time, so that the users don't have to whine incessantly about the bits they don't like. But hang on - most of the posters complaining here keep going on about wanting exactly what they bought, and not wanting DJI to change anything. In other words, ironically, exactly what you get if you don't ever update.

You are right - everyone is entitled to their opinion, not matter how ill-informed or unreasonable it may be. Flat-earthers, end-of-the-worlders, everyone. But make no mistake - post illogical and unreasonable nonsense in defense of those kinds of positions on internet forums and they will get called out.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164