Computing machine

Reaction score
I just recently got my p4p and quickly realized my old MacBook Pro I had from film school isn’t good enough anymore. Can’t handle the 4K footage. Any recommendations for ready to go editing computers that won’t break the bank.

I just recently got my p4p and quickly realized my old MacBook Pro I had from film school isn’t good enough anymore. Can’t handle the 4K footage. Any recommendations for ready to go editing computers that won’t break the bank.
I know this doesn't answer your question, but use a proxy when you do your editing. Your computer should be able to process 4 k then.

Depending on your final intended use for the footage, shooting in 1080p is probably all you need. Personally, I feel 4K is overkill in most circumstances and results in huge files. Just my opinion.

I just want to edit footage together. Color correct. Nothing crazy. I tried 1080 instead and my computer still can’t handle it.

Depending on your final intended use for the footage, shooting in 1080p is probably all you need. Personally, I feel 4K is overkill in most circumstances and results in huge files. Just my opinion.
I personally believe in shooting in 4K for two reasons even if I think I’m only going to output in 1080p:

1) futureproofing

2) you have the ability to scale up the video if you need to without losing quality. This may be necessary for a) straightening horizons, b) stabilization c) cropping for composition.

Reactions: sar104
I personally believe in shooting in 4K for two reasons even if I think I’m only going to output in 1080p:

1) futureproofing

2) you have the ability to scale up the video if you need to without losing quality. This may be necessary for a) straightening horizons, b) stabilization c) cropping for composition.
Does that mean every time you do a color adj. or adjust lighting, it lowers your video quality?

Does that mean every time you do a color adj. or adjust lighting, it lowers your video quality?

I was referring to scaling up harming video quality if you start with only 1080p video. By starting with 4K, you have more pixels to work with. So if you need to “zoom in” (aka scale up) the video then the pixels that get “thrown away” in the process won’t hurt you if you are going to down sample to 1080p anyway.

If you zoom in (scale up) on a 1080p video then it will have to interpolate to make up for the lost pixels that result from the scaling. That lowers video quality.

Reactions: Hounddog
I shoot in 4K and process then video in 1080. You can have 4K files for backup if neded and save it on some archiv disc. The video quality of 1080 is almost the same and to use it on Youtube is more than OK.
I need 4 K video mainly for making some still images from the video. The rezult is quite acceptible and very practical.

The cheapest option for you is if your MacBook pro was made before 2013, you can change to an SSD drive instead of a hard disk drive, and upgrade to 16GB of RAM, and then edit with proxies. That is what I do and it works just fine for me. I use a 2012 MacBook Pro 15in and Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2019. What software do you use, I could tell you how to generate proxies.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj