Video card suggestions?

Reaction score
So I have a custom built PC that I built myself, but I've always just used the integrated video chipset on my motherboard rather than spend money on a video card (because I'm not a gamer). But I recently upgraded to the P4P and editing my 4k footage is a nightmare in Premiere Pro. it's so slow and laggy.

Does anyone have any video card recommendations that would not break my wallet?

Hey Patrick,

Could you give us more details on your custom PC's specs? What kind of processor are you running? A GPU with at least 4GB would help with FX, but the actual editing process would require some serious RAM if you intend to edit without proxies. I would recommend at least 16 GB of RAM if you intend to use proxies, but it could probably still be done with 8 GB if you're careful enough - Although, admittedly, I've tried with lesser RAM and I couldn't even get a single proxy of 35 seconds of 4K footage.

And I agree - editing 4K footage is not easy without your system freezing up constantly and major hiccups if you're lacking in the RAM and graphics department. I recently had to buy a Laptop with upgraded RAM and GPU to start up my latest business: dronebug360.com

Hey Patrick,

Could you give us more details on your custom PC's specs? What kind of processor are you running? A GPU with at least 4GB would help with FX, but the actual editing process would require some serious RAM if you intend to edit without proxies. I would recommend at least 16 GB of RAM if you intend to use proxies, but it could probably still be done with 8 GB if you're careful enough - Although, admittedly, I've tried with lesser RAM and I couldn't even get a single proxy of 35 seconds of 4K footage.

And I agree - editing 4K footage is not easy without your system freezing up constantly and major hiccups if you're lacking in the RAM and graphics department. I recently had to buy a Laptop with upgraded RAM and GPU to start up my latest business: dronebug360.com

Edit:
My specs:
Processor: 7th Generation Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor
Graphics Card: GeFore GTX 1060-6GB

I just recently started editing 4K video in Davinci Resolve 15 Lite, and I haven't experienced any problems once I optimize the media. The playback is super smooth.

Also, what's your budget cap? I'm certainly not an expert in this field, but I have some friends who are - and I could relay your information to them and get back to you.

I've got a i5-4690K Quad-Core 3.5 GHz processor and 16gb of RAM. I have an IT degree but I'm been on the more web-based side of things for the last several years, so I've been out of the hardware game for too long. Not looking to spend more than 200 or so.

Can you confirm that it's probably my lack of a graphics card that is causing the issue? Video from my Nikon runs fine, although it's probably heavily compressed.

That's cool! Do you focus more on front end web development or back end? I just recently started taking online classes for front end web development. I'm starting old school with basic html, css, and javascript, but I'm hoping to work my way to the back end soon.

So the graphics card you're using is the default Intel HD Graphics 4600? I think you're absolutely right based on the specs I've pulled up, but I'll double check with my engineer friend and see what he would recommend. Assuming you have enough storage space and a 4K supported monitor, all you should need is the graphics card (this is also assuming you will be editing with proxies). I'm not familiar with Premiere Pro, but I imagine you've tried to use proxies while editing/viewing playback footage so far, right?

I have a relatively low powered Mac (13 inch 2017 MacBook Pro) and it handles editing 4K video like butter. Never had a latency issue to date. No intention of starting such an old and tired debate. I was windows person for 30 years until a techie at work, about 7 years ago, applied for a MacBook and justified it by ordering me one. Only use windows at work and its improved immensely over the years. But using iMovie on a mac I never think about playing with 4K video, including a few added sounds.
Struggles to scrub it, with other programs running, in VLC, but once its in iMovie or FCP its like a rocket.
I say low powered it cost me an arm and a leg. The 15 inch is much faster but I like the portability.

Screen Shot 2018-05-17 at 4.03.07 am.png

SSD 500Gb
Just a thought, may make life easier for you.

Reactions: chazzm
A 1080 founders edition Nvidia graphics card and a graphics amplifier 16 gig and you won’t have any issues! That’s what I use with my Alienware laptop! And cyberlink!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers