Compass recalibration question

Reaction score
I am working with my second 4 pro + v2.0 in a month. The first developed a gimbal problem and the Amazon company replaced it. I got the second one and was doing some tests. I notice that when I did a RTH the new drone consistently landed 6 feet from the takeoff spot (home point was set each time I tested it). My first drone landed on a dime........... literally. I laid a blanket out at the beach and it landed in the middle of it several times. Do I live with the 6 feet or can I do something to get it closer?

Fast forward. I tried to do a compass recalibration but when I tapped the screen it just wouldn't let me do it. I rebooted everything a couple of times with no success. The app says it's ok and that's that.

Am I going about this the right way? Help appreciated.

I am a photographer first and drone flyer second............

Do I live with the 6 feet or can I do something to get it closer?
6 feet is plenty close for these birds. It depends on satellite counts and other factors as far as accuracy goes. They can vary up to 30ft at times, so do not depend on great accuracy. As far as the compass goes, there is no need to calibrate the compass unless you are prompted to do so and/or if you notice your directional icon is off to a great degree. Calibration should only be needed if there is an issue or if your last calibration was many hundreds of miles away.

A new firmware came out yesterday. Have you installed it?
This is always at the operators option. Firmware updates are never required. If you have something that works to your satisfaction do not try and update. 80% of the time there are usually issues of some sort. If you read enough threads around here you will come to see what I mean. But each to their own peril I suppose. Just IMHO.

This is always at the operators option. Firmware updates are never required. If you have something that works to your satisfaction do not try and update. 80% of the time there are usually issues of some sort. If you read enough threads around here you will come to see what I mean. But each to their own peril I suppose. Just IMHO.

You’re right but in this case the operator is having issues with the compass and IMU, which this update supposedly fixed. Not all firmware updates are bad, especially the first round of fixes that come out for a new drone.

A new firmware came out yesterday. Have you installed it?
Yes using the plus it made me do the update. How does the IMU figure in?

remember photographer first drone operator second............I am good at one thing and not the other.

dennis

Reactions: Lefty63
I am working with my second 4 pro + v2.0 in a month. The first developed a gimbal problem and the Amazon company replaced it. I got the second one and was doing some tests. I notice that when I did a RTH the new drone consistently landed 6 feet from the takeoff spot (home point was set each time I tested it). My first drone landed on a dime........... literally. I laid a blanket out at the beach and it landed in the middle of it several times. Do I live with the 6 feet or can I do something to get it closer?
GPS is not pinpoint accurate and will give variable results.
Six feet is well within the expected accuracy for consumer GPS, there's nothing wrong with your Phantom that needs fixing.
If you want to have it land within an inch of the launch point, it has a precision landing feature that uses optical technology.
Do a word search of the manual for Precision and you'll find out how that works
There's no need to let the programming do the landing anyway.
You can cancel RTH at any time and resume control and choose to land wherever you want.

I tried to do a compass recalibration but when I tapped the screen it just wouldn't let me do it. I rebooted everything a couple of times with no success. The app says it's ok and that's that.
There's a lot of confusion about compass calibration.
It wouldn't make any difference in this situation and there's no need to ever recalibrate the compass in normal circumstances.
Leave the compass alone.

Reactions: N017RW
Take off using the auto take off function from go app. Check the box for precise landing. VPS handles the 'precise' landing. GPS gets it close to the general landing area. You can do this manually by doing slow vertical take off to 10m. It allows the vps to record take off location.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl