Compass Issues(self induced)

Reaction score
Just want to share this with the community. I used a silver paint pen to add my FCC reg. Number to my P3S. Apparently the paint contained some amount of metal and it totally compromised my compass. Took a little scratching my head to figure it out. Removed it and all is well again.

If that had caused a problem, calibrating the compass again should have resolved the issue.

Reactions: Oso
Could not calibrate the compass. Tried multiple times with no success.

As a test, it would be interesting to see if you can repeat that by marking a piece of tape with that silver pen and sticking it to your Phantom (so you don't have to clean it off again).

Reactions: Oso
That’s how I originally marked it, with a piece of tape.

I used a silver paint pen to add my FCC reg. Number to my P3S. Apparently the paint contained some amount of metal and it totally compromised my compass. Took a little scratching my head to figure it out. Removed it and all is +
well again.
That sounds unusual.
It's not metal that causes compass problems.
It's magnetic metals like steel or iron and it's hard to imagine that a silver pen contains iron.
And as msinger says, the addition of a small amount of magnetic material should be able to be compensated for with calibration (that's exactly what compass calibration is for).
I wonder if the cause of the incident was something else and the compass issues were a coincidence.

Reactions: N017RW
Could be, I’m a noob with drones. Still learning how these work. At any rate, it is working properly now.

Is it normal to loose signal when grabbing the drone from the top to perform compass calibration? I had to grab it from the landing gear to run the "dance"

Checked this today. Ran a magnet over the tape I had marked with my FCC number and got no reaction. Guess my compass issues were not related to the paint pen.

Reactions: Meta4
A good lesson....
‘Correlation is not Causation’.

Reactions: sar104

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72