Compass Issue

Reaction score
(Excuse my poor English)

Yesterday I had an issue with my phantom.
I went in place 5 Km from my house for a flight with a friend which he also has phantom 2 (not vision).We placed the phantoms on the ground, power on, and mine start to flashing red and yellow lights and the dji app showed compass calibration require. My friend has no problems. I calibrated the compass 4-5 times but nothing was changed still red and yellow.
I went back to home and I thought I might need to update from 3.00 firmware I have at the moment. Before I update I turn on the phantom but no red light only yellow, I took it outside and yes all was normal with green light.
My questions.
1) Is this normal? What can possible cause this problem?
2) Before I power on the phantom I place it on the roof of the car take of the gimbal plastics. Can this affect?
3) The ground was new concrete and I think there is pipe lines under, can this cause the problem?
4) If its on the air is there any possibility to lose compass calibration?

platonas1 said:
(Excuse my poor English)

Yesterday I had an issue with my phantom.
I went in place 5 Km from my house for a flight with a friend which he also has phantom 2 (not vision).We placed the phantoms on the ground, power on, and mine start to flashing red and yellow lights and the dji app showed compass calibration require. My friend has no problems. I calibrated the compass 4-5 times but nothing was changed still red and yellow.
I went back to home and I thought I might need to update from 3.00 firmware I have at the moment. Before I update I turn on the phantom but no red light only yellow, I took it outside and yes all was normal with green light.
My questions.
1) Is this normal? What can possible cause this problem?
2) Before I power on the phantom I place it on the roof of the car take of the gimbal plastics. Can this affect?
3) The ground was new concrete and I think there is pipe lines under, can this cause the problem?
4) If its on the air is there any possibility to lose compass calibration?

Sometimes the procedure (rotating the Phantom) for calibrating the compass doesn't work immediately and requires a several attempts. When doing the compass calibration, ensure you don't have any large metal objects on you such as keys, mobile phones or even a large metal wrist watch. Even steel reinforcing in concrete can affect compass calibration, Large buildings or even near a motor vehicle. If that doesn't fix the problem, check on YouTube as there are lots of videos showing how to re-calibrate compass. May have to 'reset' compass by passing a magnetic object over it then re-calibration routine.

The lights will give you feedback for each of the two steps of the compass calibration. Flashing yellow when you are in calibration mode, rotate on x axis, the light go to solid green, rotate on Y axis and the lights return to flashing green. Check youtube as there are many videos.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl