Compass calibration

Reaction score
I calibrate everytime my compass when I start a new flight. Also on the same location. But do I need to do that on my phantom 2? Because if I startup my phantom 2 it is flashing orange. Mostly I calibrate my compass. Or do I need to wait for the gps stuff. After the compass calibration my gps saves home location. Does it do also before the calibration?

EDIT: posted in the wrong forum. It has to be: Phantom 2 Discussion.

I calibrate everytime my compass when I start a new flight. Also on the same location. But do I need to do that on my phantom 2? Because if I startup my phantom 2 it is flashing orange. Mostly I calibrate my compass. Or do I need to wait for the gps stuff. After the compass calibration my gps saves home location. Does it do also before the calibration?
GPS is unrelated to compass - completely different systems.
Here's a thread that should help you understand what compass calibration is all about and when it's necessary: Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer

EDIT: posted in the wrong forum. It has to be: Phantom 2 Discussion.

Now I'll add my 2 cents worth on the subject.

I've been flying now for more that two years now and the only time I do a compass calibration is the shell has been opened or modifications have been done. Normally after making a modification or a flight mishap (crash) I will calibrate the compass out in the backyard which has primary voltage/secondary power lines over head.and will test flight it with no ill effects.

Now the advice that Ianwood has posted
Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer is very good advice for a beginner.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik