Compass Calibration Help

Reaction score
Hi all,

As described in another thread by a different user I'm having compass error messages on my first few flights. All have been in the same location so I'm not totally worried yet as I know location can cause this, I'm going to take my P3S to a new location over the weekend to double check if the problem persist.

I just need to check that I'm doing the calibration right and if the IMU is a cause of this? I've only done the IMU calibration once indoors but have calibrated the compass each time before my flights. The front lights stay solid red while I calibrate and turn green, then when I do the second "spin" the front lights stay red and back flash yellow. Is this a correct calibration? Are red lights supposed to be on?

Cheers all

Lamps in front don't matter. So solid red is fine.

Lamps in back are your compass calibration indicators.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Lamps in front don't matter. So solid red is fine.

Lamps in back are your compass calibration indicators.

Thanks Mark,

Fingers crossed another location will bring better results :)

@BryanLiverpool,
So your not getting a compass calibration error. Your getting a compass error, while flying or attempting to fly?

@Mark The Droner
I don't have the compass readings remembered, I should, but should he be looking in IMU screen for compass values?

Rod

The only way the back lamps would flash yellow at the end of the calibration is if the controller is turned off. In that case, the lamps would be doing what they are supposed to be doing, since flashing yellow indicates a loss of control signal.

Here's another vid:

You get conflicting info from different vids because the Phantom does different things at the end of the compass calibration depending on what state it's in regarding flight.

Pause the above vid at the 4 min mark and read the red bar on the right side.

Tom writes "Normal blinking begins" at the end of the calibration. That is correct. That's why we keep seeing different flashing at different vids - because different ACs are in different flight states.

The main thing is, as TTT Tom says, as long as it's not flashing red yellow red yellow repeatedly, you likely have a good calibration.

Last edited:
The only way the back lamps would flash yellow at the end of the calibration is if the controller is turned off. In that case, the lamps would be doing what they are supposed to be doing, since flashing yellow indicates a loss of control signal.
Agreed, I'm curious of him getting compass errors, I guess when he is flying, trying to fly.
I guess we will wait. ;)

Rod

Any metal objects around can seriously mess it up. Be wary, if the calibration is way out, and it's windy, you will have a huge battle on your hands. It will start to drift, then try to correct in the wrong direction.
Trust me when I say it's scary- I've done it. Lesson learned!

@DavidN747

As far as I know, the compass is needed for RTH, and effects displaying your flight directions, etc. Not actually flying.
"if the calibration is way out, and it's windy, you will have a huge battle on your hands. It will start to drift, then try to correct in the wrong direction."

Yep, been there :eek:

To me what you saying happened to you, was to much wind, and of coarse Atti mode maybe because it lost gps lock, I don't think it would have been a compass problem.

I have never had a compass error except setting on the hood of the car, etc. Just been trying fully understand how it is used. ;)

Rod

@DavidN747

As far as I know, the compass is needed for RTH, and effects displaying your flight directions, etc. Not actually flying.
"if the calibration is way out, and it's windy, you will have a huge battle on your hands. It will start to drift, then try to correct in the wrong direction."

Yep, been there :eek:

To me what you saying happened to you, was to much wind, and of coarse Atti mode maybe because it lost gps lock, I don't think it would have been a compass problem.

I have never had a compass error except setting on the hood of the car, etc. Just been trying fully understand how it is used. ;)

Rod
No it wasn't too much wind Rod.
Probably only avaerage 5-8 knots.
I've flown in far more wind.
I launched off the roof of my car (not smart!) and immediately had compass error messages.

As it drifted in the wind it tried to compensate but did so in the wrong direction, because of the compass error. It then just compounded the situation, trying to get back in position but rapidly diverging, with me trying to avoid trees etc with very erratic behaviour.
So I had to fight it constantly and get back overhead, then land in a hurry.
It was most definitely compass error, as I said, my fault as I was learning the ropes, not recommended. I've also spoken to others who've done the same.

DO NOT LAUNCH OFF STEEL or this could happen to you.

Cya

@DavidN747

Ok, I believe you :)

So somebody with some facts, or well a theory, that has not seen a UFO and or Elvis.
Explain to me and ?, oh his name is on my screen.
This guy @DavidN747 of what happen to him in his flight when he "I launched off the roof of my car" :eek:
OK that is so funny you made my day :D

Here you go!
#1 Which way was the front of the car pointed? True North or Magnetic, or the exact degree?
#2 Make, Model and Year of car?
#2 Which way the Phantom was pointed on take off? Red towards the front, that would seem to the choice of most.
This detailed information could be really important on determining fly-a-ways related to compass errors.

Actually I would like to try this, just to see what happens, but not around my house, trees to close and to tall.

Thanks for your reply, maybe we made enough attention that somebody well help us out :)

Rod

Just to clear thing's up I believe my compass calibration works and is successful, I get solid green after first turn then flashing yellow at the end. My compass errors happen in flight, I can't seem to replicate it happen, I turned the drone on the spot about 20 feet up to see if it happened which it did on some instances but other times while spinning it did not happen.

The worse two times have been when I've tested range and it's happened and RTH has failed. I'm going out to another location this weekend to see if it happens and then taking it back if so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.