compass being wierd

Reaction score
flew this eveing in a place i normally fly in and i kept getting weak transmisson signal and then when i was coming in for a landing the phantom 4A i have started flying strange, not holding course. I landed and it said compass needed to be calibrated, the lighs was flashing green and yellow. I tried to calibrate the compass where i was at and then at home. it wouldnt calibrate, for some reason i took the battiery out and put it back in and all is fine now,,,, is there somehow a link between the battery and the compass going out of calibration.

You did right thing to not calibrate the compass on the take off area. Maybe there is some magnetic influences that make your compass alterations.
The battery has no influence on the compass except providing electricity to it.
After removing the battery you just resetl everything memory to the preset values.
Just be aware if something similar would happen again the drone might go to ATTI mode so you must fly it manually (it will not hold the position in that mode and will fly with the wind).

Reactions: Harleydude
flew this eveing in a place i normally fly in and i kept getting weak transmisson signal and then when i was coming in for a landing the phantom 4A i have started flying strange, not holding course. I landed and it said compass needed to be calibrated, the lighs was flashing green and yellow. I tried to calibrate the compass where i was at and then at home. it wouldnt calibrate, for some reason i took the battiery out and put it back in and all is fine now,,,, is there somehow a link between the battery and the compass going out of calibration.

YES ! We have found that a bad battery update or not updated can cause havoc to the Compass which leads to the Phantom not holding course.
The controller can loose connection with the battery as we have had that warning before so very possible. Just watch the battery now for signs of it going bad as your now aware there may be a problem such as it happening again in the future.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Phantom in the rain.
Coal

If the battery is bad it affects all systems and not the compass solely.
It would be helpful if you can check the battery on UAV airdata page if you will synch data of that flight to DJI server.

Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
I few yesterday in the same spot where i had the problem, where i have flown many times before. and had no problems at all just very strange to me. on a differnet note i like to get a new battery but not really sure where to get one other then dji. Amazon of course has them but worry about if they be good or not..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj