Comparing Phantom 3-4K to Phantom 3-Pro

Reaction score
Hello Phantom 3-4K captains. I have been checking ebay for used Phantom 3-4K drones, where I noticed that Phantom 3 Pro versions, fitted with the same 4K camera, now sell for comparable prices used on ebay. I initially intended to buy a Phantom 3-4K because its battery life is rated for 25 minutes, as opposed to the 23 minutes of battery life quoted for the Phantom 3 Pro, since I fly long range Litchi missions exclusively, where every last minute of battery power could spell the difference between a safe landing, and a lost drone.

The 2,000 meter signal range of the Phantom 3 Pro, combined with its Lightbridge HD video link, makes it a tempting buy over the Phantom 3-4K, which offers a shorter 1,200 meter signal range with its older Wifi signal link, so, with prices of both these models now within the same ballpark on ebay, I now find myself mulling over whether that extra 2 minutes of flight time offered by the Phantom 3-4K, is a gain whose attainment is worth sacrificing that 800 meters of signal range specified for the Phantom 3 Pro.

Currently with my Phantom 3 Standard, most Litchi missions are completed well beyond signal range, with the video and control links link typically coming alive again pretty close to home, meaning that the video feed and control link are both desirable, but not critical to the completion of each autonomous flight. So I guess my question to you seasoned Phantom 3-4K users, is whether to stay with the P3-4K because of its marginally longer flight time, or if the Phantom 3 Pro's stronger Lightbridge signal link makes it a better choice, despite its slightly shorter battery time aloft.

Any thoughts that can be offered to help me decide which of these two very capable drones to buy, would be appreciated. Finally I would like to ask if there might be any well-known design flaws with the Phantom 3-4K, that could make it a less desirable purchase in comparison to the Phantom 3 Pro.

Reactions: andy young
Not having the pro but previous owned p34k,wifi pretty sad unless bit of modification to remote which I had to do,,I would probably get the p3p even though they too seem to have issues with the old no transmission signal or being left for amount of time,they not seem to like not being used,,multiple threads on transmission issues for the pro but it still be my choice over p34k simply because of lightbridge transmission, wifi to me just sucs and very lucky to get 1200 out of p34k,mine was about 500m tops and not much more after remote mod,your call on this but it be pro for me

So I guess my question to you seasoned Phantom 3-4K users, is whether to stay with the P3-4K because of its marginally longer flight time, or if the Phantom 3 Pro's stronger Lightbridge signal link makes it a better choice, despite its slightly shorter battery time aloft.
The P3-4K is just a P3 std with a 4K camera.
It still has the crummy wifi transmission of the Standard that will break up as you get toward the edge of its limited range and go only 1000 metres on a good day.
The P3 Adv and Pro models with Lightbridge are 10 times better as the signal goes much further and doesn't break up like the Standard does.
That means you have crystal clear image on your screen even when the drone is kilometres away.

A crystal clear video feedback image when the drone is kilometers away sounds like exactly the sort of performance I am after, Meta 4, and I thank you kindly for this reply. My Phantom 3 Standard does lose video link very quickly as the drone departs on autonomous Litchi missions, and despite my being accustomed to having no feedback of any sort throughout most of the flight, I would definitely prefer to retain that video link for a lot longer that is possible with the Phantom 3 Standard's Wifi technology.

@ianzone I also appreciate the caution you have given about the Phantom 3 Pro being known for developing transmission problems, especially if the drone has been sitting unused for a while. I'll need to look back over this forum, to learn more about those transmission problems that some Phantom Pro users have seen, and to find out if there is a work-around solution to that glitch. I'm still watching ebay for good deals in the meantime.

A crystal clear video feedback image when the drone is kilometers away sounds like exactly the sort of performance I am after, Meta 4, and I thank you kindly for this reply. My Phantom 3 Standard does lose video link very quickly as the drone departs on autonomous Litchi missions, and despite my being accustomed to having no feedback of any sort throughout most of the flight, I would definitely prefer to retain that video link for a lot longer that is possible with the Phantom 3 Standard's Wifi technology.

@ianzone I also appreciate the caution you have given about the Phantom 3 Pro being known for developing transmission problems, especially if the drone has been sitting unused for a while. I'll need to look back over this forum, to learn more about those transmission problems that some Phantom Pro users have seen, and to find out if there is a work-around solution to that glitch. I'm still watching ebay for good deals in the meantime.
The P3P video transmission issue is generally caused by one of two things, overheating and sitting unpowered for extended times. The firmware can get corrupt on board if not used periodically. The top gimbal board often overheats if powered up and the props arent running to provide cooling airflow. The workarounds are to fly periodically to keep everything awake, and if you must power up without starting the props have a fan blowing on the camera/ gimbal board for cooling and the P3P will serve you quite reliably and is far superior to the P34K.

This explanation of specific measures that will prevent known problems with the P3P from occurring, is very much appreciated sir. With my previous fear of the unknown now alleviated, there is no reason to overlook this very capable model, if I encounter one for sale on ebay. Hopefully before long, I'll join the ranks of the P3P brotherhood, that exclusive band of discerning drone flying connoisseurs.

Hello Phantom 3-4K captains. I have been checking ebay for used Phantom 3-4K drones, where I noticed that Phantom 3 Pro versions, fitted with the same 4K camera, now sell for comparable prices used on ebay. I initially intended to buy a Phantom 3-4K because its battery life is rated for 25 minutes, as opposed to the 23 minutes of battery life quoted for the Phantom 3 Pro, since I fly long range Litchi missions exclusively, where every last minute of battery power could spell the difference between a safe landing, and a lost drone.

The 2,000 meter signal range of the Phantom 3 Pro, combined with its Lightbridge HD video link, makes it a tempting buy over the Phantom 3-4K, which offers a shorter 1,200 meter signal range with its older Wifi signal link, so, with prices of both these models now within the same ballpark on ebay, I now find myself mulling over whether that extra 2 minutes of flight time offered by the Phantom 3-4K, is a gain whose attainment is worth sacrificing that 800 meters of signal range specified for the Phantom 3 Pro.

Currently with my Phantom 3 Standard, most Litchi missions are completed well beyond signal range, with the video and control links link typically coming alive again pretty close to home, meaning that the video feed and control link are both desirable, but not critical to the completion of each autonomous flight. So I guess my question to you seasoned Phantom 3-4K users, is whether to stay with the P3-4K because of its marginally longer flight time, or if the Phantom 3 Pro's stronger Lightbridge signal link makes it a better choice, despite its slightly shorter battery time aloft.

Any thoughts that can be offered to help me decide which of these two very capable drones to buy, would be appreciated. Finally I would like to ask if there might be any well-known design flaws with the Phantom 3-4K, that could make it a less desirable purchase in comparison to the Phantom 3 Pro.
If you see. A Phantom 3 SE it may serve your purpose. It doesn't use wifi and I keep solid video and control
out to 6091 feet. Haven't tried to go any farther since that is the end of the bean field. Also same 4k camera.

Reactions: Billie Nelson
If you see. A Phantom 3 SE it may serve your purpose. It doesn't use wifi and I keep solid video and control
out to 6091 feet. Haven't tried to go any farther since that is the end of the bean field. Also same 4k camera.
The phantom 3 se does use WiFi! It doesn’t have light ridge.

I’ve had my P3P’s out over 10,000 ft with no loss of video or rc signal. Never owned a P3SE so I can’t say what the range can be.

The phantom 3 se does use WiFi! It doesn’t have lightbridge.
The only wifi the SE uses is from the RC to your mobile device. Do a search and I think you will find the SE does in fact use a form of lightbidge from the AC to the controller then converts to wifi for communication to the mobile device. If you want to further check, fold the antenna up and do a distance flight.

Bandits Roost I thank you for this mention about the Phantom SE. Now that is one variant about which there is comparatively little online discussion, leading me to conclude that perhaps the SE version never caught on with consumers, due to a design flaw.

I wound up purchasing a Phantom 3 Pro, so reading Kachemak Diver's account of seeing reliable signal clarity out to 10 thousand feet with a P3P, is music to my years for sure. My lineup now comprises the venerable Phantom 3 Standard, the new-to-me Phantom 3 Pro, and a used Mavic Pro that I snagged on ebay recently.

With my very conservative flying habits, I don't expect to make any drone purchases for a good few years to come, regardless of how many new advances in drone technology are made, given that my drone hobby is never likely to become a professional endeavor. This forum has been a treasure trove of valuable insights, leading me to spend more time here recently, than over at RC Groups, where quite a few drone gurus also dispense valuable advice.

Reactions: KachemakDiver
The P3P video transmission issue is generally caused by one of two things, overheating and sitting unpowered for extended times. The firmware can get corrupt on board if not used periodically. The top gimbal board often overheats if powered up and the props arent running to provide cooling airflow. The workarounds are to fly periodically to keep everything awake, and if you must power up without starting the props have a fan blowing on the camera/ gimbal board for cooling and the P3P will serve you quite reliably and is far superior to the P34K.
Not true. Firmware does not get corrupted because it's sitting and not being used. The firmware is stored on an SD-card internally. If that was the case, all SD cards with files and pictures would get corrupted, even the ones in cameras. The overheating is a thing however but that tends to happen during a firmware update as the cooling fan on the gimbal doesn't come on as it's busy receiving an update. They recommend using a cooling fan pointed at the gimbal during firmware updates.

Reactions: pilot2

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj