Commercial Air Travel With LiPo Phantom 2 Batteries

Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with flying in a commercial aircraft with with extra 5200 mah LiPo Phantom 2 batteries? I understand you must carry them on? Is there a limit to the number? Do you have to tape the ends and place them in separate plastic bags?

Thanks in advance.

I just did it both ways.

When I was going abroad I had the 3 batteries in separate LiPo fireproof bags in my wifes carry on bag (seperate from the Phantom which was in its own carry on case) --> No one cared. They asked me once at one xray what was in the bag. I said a battery. They said fine.

Coming back I actually forgot about the bags and left the 3 batteries in place in the case and no one cared.

I researched it a bit before I went abroad and my conclusion was 3 batteries (1 for the craft plus 2 spare) was ok. I also concluded the fireproof bags may have been required so I got them "just in case" I was pretty concerned as this was my first trip abroad with the Phantom so I did everything "belt and braces" style

Thanks for the info, I do not have fire proof bags and just called the airport they said tape the terminal ends on the battery and put the batteries in separate plastic bags and make sure they are in the carry on bag and not in checked luggage. I have 4 total batteries. So just to be clear did you leave the batteries in your case with the P2 and then checked the case and was OK?

I've never considered this. Makes sense. If you check LiPo's in, do they need any special enclosure (fireproof bag) above a certain size?

@Gonzo

Yes I left them in the case. I genuinely forgot to take them out and put them in bags as I had done on the outbound flight. BUT no one even looked....... I will use the LiPo bags in future, not just because theres maybe a regulation, but it just seems like a sensible way to transport them. I had 3 batteries so I can't say for sure they would baulk at 4.

@ianwood

I don't know if they'd let you check them....... as per Gonzos advice from the airport, I think they want you to have them in your carry on

Recently Flied in the United States with the Phantom 2 Vision with case and three batteries. First flight no questions at all at TSA. On the way home from Florida TSA after scanning wanted to look inside with me there. Said no problems and let me continue and questioned a website where he could purchase one.

Ive flown to the US three times with mine and checked the case with two batteries inside with no issues

Sent from my S4

Hmmm, maybe the FAA doesn't have regulations for transporting LiPo's which is odd because they can be a fire hazard. Maybe they are too busy figuring out how to regulate these evil "drones" of ours.

ianwood said:
I've never considered this. Makes sense. If you check LiPo's in, do they need any special enclosure (fireproof bag) above a certain size?
Fireproof bag's are worth having. They come in different size's and better for charging in, with a battery inside whilst on charge if it blow's you have a lot less mess and no fire, wife will be happy if the kitchen table go's up, you will be sleeping with the dog for a while, plus safer in baggage, I keep mine in a small fireproof safe and carry in an old ammo box in the car, so far have been safe, up to you.

On the subject of putting things like P2 batteries in plastic bags, I thought I would remind anyone that needs reminding, use caution when handling electrostatic sensitive devices. I know that is common sense for any electronics-minded person here, but a lot of people inexperienced with electronics don't realize that static electricity can actually be a problem and even ruin hardware. Plastic sandwich bags are sometimes very static prone. With a P2 battery, this shouldn't really be an issue, but just be cautious with what you put in such static prone bags or containers.

Flown Jet Blue with Tradecraft Case with 3 batteries, both checked and carry on. No problem other than inquisitive TSA. With carry on, removed screwdriver from case anticipating a possible problem.

@mem_ny, thanks for the feedback will be leaving Wednesday for flight on Frontier form Denver to LA, I am planning on checking P2 in Tradecraft case w/out batteries and carrying on 4 batteries, I'll let you how to goes. I still wonder if I checked the case with the a batteries in and there IS an issue with TSA when will I know about it? When you check luggage doesn't it just disappear into the handling area or do they scan or check it while you are still there?

Just returned from Costa Rica. On the way out (Miami Airport) the TSA guy opened the case and said "cool, I'm saving up for one" then closed it and sent me on my way. TSA in Costa Rica didn't even take a second look. They look inside the bags right before you go on the plane but it was a simple open and close, thats it. I had a battery in the P2 and 5 more in the case plus 2 P1 batteries in there. I will say that after dragging the goprocases case around the airport, I'm switching to a backpack design. That case gets heavy fast.

Sounds like some of you guys are checking the phantom. I'd be nervous to let it go through baggage with those guys popping it open and messing with it. And what if it's lost? Will the airline give you the 2k?? Can't imagine that's an easy claim process.

I just purchased a couple ATA approved locks to keep the case closed and hope it works, the case is just too big and bulky to carrry on. But I will check into insurance coverage, may be able to add on to home owners.

Fotoall said:
I did carry my case on the plane.

What case are you using? Care to share a picture as well as case deminisions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT