Commercial Air Travel With LiPo Phantom 2 Batteries

ToughCase XRV for DJI Phantom 2 Vision Carrying Case (#P102XRV) $179.00, Ilove it and have added holes and notches for all my gear.

Attachments

• Phantom2 In Case.jpg
    Phantom2 In Case.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 601
  • Phantom2 In Case.jpg
    Phantom2 In Case.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 506
Do you leave the props on the phantom when the lid is closed? I did with my case from B&H and it warped the props. Nice set up btw. I am a Denver based photog mostly commercial and portraits but used to focus on the music scene. (I saw your post re John Butler Trio). Enjoy the trip and he coast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just a quick update, I checked my Phantom in its TradeCraft case with a total of 4 Lipo batteries and had no issues. I did have a bit of a scare when the case didn't come through to the normal baggage claim and went to the over sized claim area. On the return flight it went through to the normal baggage claim. Also I did lock the case with two FAA approved locks.

Gonzoshots said:
Just a quick update, I checked my Phantom in its TradeCraft case with a total of 4 Lipo batteries and had no issues. I did have a bit of a scare when the case didn't come through to the normal baggage claim and went to the over sized claim area. On the return flight it went through to the normal baggage claim. Also I did lock the case with two FAA approved locks.

were the batteries in lipo bags?

Gonzoshots said:
No the batteries were not in Lipo bags.

Thanks for the info. I don't know if I should take the chance and not have them in bags. My trip is in two weeks.

p.s.
awesome photo work. fantastic.

I have traveled twice via Southwest Airlines with a Phantom 2 and three 5200mAh batteries in a Tradecraft hard-sided carry on case. The batteries were not in any sort of fireproof cover; they were simply stored in the slots of the Tradecraft case that were cut specifically to carry these batteries. My case was searched while going through security, but they were more interested in the Phantom 2 than concerned about any type of safety issue due to the LiPo batteries. I made it a point to ask if I needed any special protection for the batteries and this particular TSA officer said that my case was sufficient.

Sounds like they are using the rules for lithium batteries, which says they must be in carry on baggage NOT in checked. Placed in a plastic bag, individual so as not to allow terminal shorting. Transport in checked baggage is prohibited by law.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20