Clarification on international air travel with drones

Reaction score
Again I'm getting confused, I've been out of the scenes too long. I just got my Air 2s fly more combo with an RC pro remote (getting it ready for my Mavic 3) and 3 Air 2s batteries,
3500 mAh / 40.42 Wh capacity. I have my other camera gears that I will be putting in my carry-on bag and 1 personal shoulder bag but with my Air 2s and its 3 batteries I want to put them in my big luggage (that goes in the belly of the plane :). Now my understanding is I cannot "check in the batteries" but I can "carry 1 battery but it needs to be inserted into the drone" and the 2 other batteries cannot be checked in? Sorry my writing is terrible.

The rules are simple.
Lithium batteries must go in the cabin with you, not in checked luggage.
Check your airline's website and search for "Lithium".

I flew from the US to the Philippines round trip a couple of years ago. I had 1 battery in the drone and I put the 2 spare batteries in Lipo bags. I carried all onboard. I do not trust baggage handlers to throw my drone around and the possibility of lost luggage.

Reactions: Frylikeabird
I flew from the US to the Philippines round trip a couple of years ago. I had 1 battery in the drone and I put the 2 spare batteries in Lipo bags. I carried all onboard. I do not trust baggage handlers to throw my drone around and the possibility of lost luggage.
thankyou good to hear. "don’t put batteries in a checked bag". "LIPO batteries should be stored in your carry-on baggage." "Do not pack more than two spare batteries with more than 100 Wh." "LIPO batteries with 100 Wh or less can be packed inside checked baggage only if they’re securely installed inside the drone." "You cannot pack spare LIPO batteries of any Wh in your checked baggage. Only the battery inside your drone is allowed in checked baggage. Pack spare batteries in your carry-on instead, and make sure they are inside their original packaging, a battery case, or a separate pouch or pocket." -uavcoach

I'm getting conflicting answers. So I can't check in my Air 2s batteries, I have to carry in cabin with me. That's alot of pounds weight for 3 drone batteries.

thankyou good to hear. "don’t put batteries in a checked bag". "LIPO batteries should be stored in your carry-on baggage." "Do not pack more than two spare batteries with more than 100 Wh." "LIPO batteries with 100 Wh or less can be packed inside checked baggage only if they’re securely installed inside the drone." "You cannot pack spare LIPO batteries of any Wh in your checked baggage. Only the battery inside your drone is allowed in checked baggage. Pack spare batteries in your carry-on instead, and make sure they are inside their original packaging, a battery case, or a separate pouch or pocket." -uavcoach

I'm getting conflicting answers. So I can't check in my Air 2s batteries, I have to carry in cabin with me. That's alot of pounds weight for 3 drone batteries.
Check with the airline. I would be surprised if any airline allows a battery to be stored in the drone if checked as luggage. They generally don't want any LIPOs stored below. At least in the cabin it will be obvious if one ignites and they can quickly address it before it takes down the plane. I've always traveled domestically with my Phantom 4 Pro stored in it's drone case and the drone case then stored in a large suitcase surrounded by my packed clothing. I check that as luggage. I've always carried my FIVE batteries in a shoulder-bag carry-on with electrical tape across their terminals and have never had a problem with airport security, though they do have to inspect them. And, yes, the batteries are heavy.

Check with the airline. I would be surprised if any airline allows a battery to be stored in the drone if checked as luggage. They generally don't want any LIPOs stored below. At least in the cabin it will be obvious if one ignites and they can quickly address it before it takes down the plane. I've always traveled domestically with my Phantom 4 Pro stored in it's drone case and the drone case then stored in a large suitcase surrounded by my packed clothing. I check that as luggage. I've always carried my FIVE batteries in a shoulder-bag carry-on with electrical tape across their terminals and have never had a problem with airport security, though they do have to inspect them. And, yes, the batteries are heavy.
Thankyou so much very informative.

one last question, :) I just bought the new DJI RC Pro remote controller. I can check in the RC Pro controller or do I have to carry-on with me?

I recently used the Mavic forum to ask the same question, but it was a domestic flight. The forum guys were very helpful. I ended up taking the drone and three batteries in my carry-on with some camera equipement. The TSA folks didn't even blink at that. They were much more concerned about my laptop and tablet and had me remove both of those out of the carry-on bag for individual inspection. Below is American Airlines' battery guidelines to give you something official to look at.
BatteriesExpand

Example​

• 9-volt
  • AA/AAA/C/D
  • Alkaline
  • Carbon zinc
  • Silver oxide
  • Zinc air
  • Lithium or lithium-ion
  • Nickel-cadmium or nickel-metal hydride

Allowed for travel?​

Yes

Notes​

Please remove batteries from devices in your checked bags and put them in your carry-on in separate plastic bags.

Lithium-ion battery acceptance by Watt-hour (Wh):​

• Less than 100 Wh – 4 spares in carry-on bag
  • 100 - 160 Wh – 2 spares in carry-on bag
  • 160 - 300 Wh – Contact Special Assistance

Reactions: Frylikeabird
I recently used the Mavic forum to ask the same question, but it was a domestic flight. The forum guys were very helpful. I ended up taking the drone and three batteries in my carry-on with some camera equipement. The TSA folks didn't even blink at that. They were much more concerned about my laptop and tablet and had me remove both of those out of the carry-on bag for individual inspection. Below is American Airlines' battery guidelines to give you something official to look at.
BatteriesExpand

Example​

• 9-volt
  • AA/AAA/C/D
  • Alkaline
  • Carbon zinc
  • Silver oxide
  • Zinc air
  • Lithium or lithium-ion
  • Nickel-cadmium or nickel-metal hydride

Allowed for travel?​

Yes

Notes​

Please remove batteries from devices in your checked bags and put them in your carry-on in separate plastic bags.

Lithium-ion battery acceptance by Watt-hour (Wh):​

• Less than 100 Wh – 4 spares in carry-on bag
  • 100 - 160 Wh – 2 spares in carry-on bag
  • 160 - 300 Wh – Contact Special Assistance
Thankyou so much!

KISS. Carry them on. Period. Minor inconvenience to do so. And you’ll have peace of mind knowing the following headline will not be written: Investigators Determine Drone Batteries Started Fire in Plane Crash.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic