Colorado Springs

Went to gold camp road and flew at the overlook. Did awfull... DBS mod only got me approx 3400' untill video went to crap.

Surprised cuz it was line of sight for miles! Ill upload location this afternoon...

Oh well hope something didnt get knocked loose. Will go to my spot at hwy 83 and check it again. Update to come..

I wonder if there is something in that area, I feel like I had less range than usual at Stratton..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to gold camp road and flew at the overlook. Did awfull... DBS mod only got me approx 3400' untill video went to crap.

Surprised cuz it was line of sight for miles! Ill upload location this afternoon...

Oh well hope something didnt get knocked loose. Will go to my spot at hwy 83 and check it again. Update to come..
That sucks, I hope it was just a simple glitch. I've only flown with a P3A there, and had no problems with interference or video loss.

I was able to circle the Broadmoor and could have made it up to the Will Rodgers Shrine of the Sun if not for the 400 ft limit. I'll have to check the distance on those flights.

Sent from my LG V10 using TapaTalk for Android

Just finishing up with my HWY 83 flight, kinda winds but made two flights and made 7542' ! Just shy of my 8000' goal.

It must be something at the gold camp area as it was p.e.r.f.e.c.t LOS! But something got buggy... hmmm cant me my remote if I made my 7542' flight at 83

I drove by Stratton but couldn't find a decent spot... I haven't yet ventured into the realm of 'packing it in' .. cant walk that far right now. But eventually that's the goal. To get a nifty backpack setup.

P3P/P3P's are nice birds but I do like the challenge of the standard.

Attachments

• gold camp rd 1.JPG
    gold camp rd 1.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 312
  • DJI_0006.JPG
    DJI_0006.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 344
  • DJI_0014.JPG
    DJI_0014.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 362
  • DJI_0007.JPG
    DJI_0007.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Broke the 10,000' barrier this afternoon. Not to shabby! Hopefully will got some good video at Pueblo West 2morro

I flew at the spot at 83. Tried a due east direction. You should try it, good spot. Just make sure you call the airforce academy tower first before flying... they dont like flying towards the west (interqwest/ new life church). Its just on the tip of the NE 5 mile boundary.

Last edited:
Where was your spot at? woodmen/dublin would have been great a year ago before the construction. What a bummer. Almost have to drive to Calhan ot Ramah to get somewhere without ppl

Has anyone flown red rocks open space? I need somewhere new to fly..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have a buddy who flew there several times untill they posted signs posted signage against flying uavs in the park. Havent seen it for myself though....

Hello all. I'm pretty much brand new to drones, besides the toy ones and will be picking up a mavic by this weekend. I know it's not a phantom but there doesn't seem to be much activity for Colorado Springs on the mavic forum. Just looking for someone to fly with or who could at least show me the ropes and get me started. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kyle

Hey Kyle and welcome:

I fly at several spots in the region. A lot of 'where' depends on the area area and congestion of sorts. I find spending a fair amount of time on google maps and similar programs looking at terrain, air space restrictions and general topography helps. With the springs becoming as built up as it is you will need to go either far N,W,E,S... pretty much away from the interior city. Although I do still fly at cottonwood creek park off of Dublin at times.

I do my long range flights in the Northern part of the county/City boundaries and in the black forest area but in some spots there you need to notify ( any other area not class G, uncontrolled airspace. I.E, know where your flying ...) the AFA ATC as they do have a lot of activity in that air space. Good bunch of guys, send me a message and Ill send the regional contact and UAV PDF info to you. Lots of good info. When the wind dies down next week ill be heading out again.

Several guys here though fly at different spots. Im sure they will chime in. Although congested, you can still manage to find areas in the Springs as long as you are responsible in flying and dont attract un-needed attention.

Dont know much of anything about the mavic though. So you would have to teach me! Lol. Would be happy to fly with you, let us know your availability. How much UAV exp do you have?

Welcome again!

Last edited:
Thank you for the welcome and the info! I know with a mavic I'm on the wrong forum but just looking for people to fly with and info on notifying ATC, etc. And locations to fly as unfortunately I believe I live in a restricted airspace.

I don't have much UAV experience. Just played with toy ones from Walmart, etc. Couldn't get higher than about 40 ft lol. I have a lot of RC car and rock crawler experience as well as helicopters.

I work in the mapping / aerial imagery field so getting a decent drone makes sense lol.

Your welcome,

If your into aerial photography then you def would want to be getting your part 107 certification. (Commercial/for hire UAV cert, if thats what you are into) Recreation/hobby though falls under part 101 of the FARs so your good there, just register your drone with the FAA and comply with the NAS/FAA guidelines and you will be golden. Ill send you the info, also the FAA has a whole area devoted to UAVs/information too. Google it.

Look at the aero sectional/nav charts (available online) or download the B4ufly app (google play) and it will show your location(s) airspace information. Most ATC's are good ppl though and they will work with you. The particulars are outside of this threads purpose, but Ill send you info for the immediate region.

Like I said, there are places to fly in and around the Springs but its getting harder as it becomes more congested. Was on goldcamp road the other week and I had miles and miles of LOS but... it was dissapointing how bad my reception was. Maybe not for your mavic as i beleive it runs a different control set up than our 5.8/2.4's... I dont know though.

The Greenland, I-25 North exit has good areas at the open space too. Key is to get your flying in early so that there is not a whole lot of people around. The majority of folks are cool but then again... you always run into one who has a cow over your flying. Just me though, I like being as low key as possible.

East of Black forest has some good spots out in the sticks. There is some areas east of COS airport that are nice but it gets windy. COS ATC are cool folks and have never hassled me as long as you inform them. They usually just ask for you too "not run into our planes.."

L3thalB3ard knows some spots too.

Again, look at google maps and similar mapping programs/software. After some studying you will find good spots.

Hey Kyle!! Welcome to our little pilot community.. I'm always looking for people to fly with and new places to fly so you came to the right place.. I'm actually thinking about starting a fb group for Colorado Springs aerial photographers.. the only one I've found is for more serious people. I plan on having a lot of fun with my drone this summer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome idea! Good to hear we have another flyer in the area. Too bad i dont know squat about the mavic.

I am hoping to be going out to Greenland either this weekend or next. Northern Larkspur area looks good too

Last edited:
Welcome Kyle, I hope you have a great time with your new Mavic. We have some great guys here in the Springs, though I haven't had a chance to meet any of them in person yet (gotta get out there, I have flown since last fall).

Sent from my LG V10 using TapaTalk for Android

Reactions: mav1
Thank you for all the welcomes! I work for a large map company. I'm not sure if I'll be using my done commercially yet or not. For now, it's just for hobby. I've done research online for the mavic and the FAA rules, etc. I do have the Before You Fly app. Just never contacted ATC before lol. I'm usually free on weekends too. A Facebook group and a get together both sound like good ideas.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31