Colorado Springs

I'm in Denver and just got one. anyone around let me know!

I'm new to this as well, am located in Highlands Ranch. Do you know of any repair persons locally? DT

DavidTejada said:
I'm new to this as well, am located in Highlands Ranch. Do you know of any repair persons locally? DT

David,

We came across Multicopter warehouse in Castle Rock. They are DJI dealers and seem to be pretty dialed in on these quads.

I am brand new to the forum and fairly new to these Phantom quads. Live in the Widefield/Security area.

Jim

Just purchased a Phantom 2 v2.0 with H3 3D gimbal on Amazon this weekend! Super stoked and looking forward to getting it!

phenom3030 said:
Just purchased a Phantom 2 v2.0 with H3 3D gimbal on Amazon this weekend! Super stoked and looking forward to getting it!

That's terrific, Congratulations!! These things are a blast, your going to love it. Let us know what you think when you get it.

Jim

moe3754 said:
I no longer own a phantom but if any still want to fly let me know because I have 4 other quads.

My Phantom is due back from DJI repair this week. If everything checks out OK, I wouldn't mine getting together to fly sometime. It would be interesting to see some "other" Quad platforms just to compare.

Hopefully the weather will hold out for a while. :)

Jim

I think I'll reach out after I build a little confidence in flying mine once I get it. lol. Since it's a Christmas gift from my wife she's planning to hold it hostage in gift wrap until Christmas time. :|

I've got a question though,

I live about 3.1 miles north of the north end of the COS airport. As advised by the FAA webpage on Unmanned aerial systems I reached out to COS via their website contact form and haven't heard back yet.
I'd like to be able to fly at home or in a field near my home without breaking any rules/laws/regulations. Anybody have any similar experiences?
Since I'm new I definitely won't be flying anywhere near 400 feet. I'm just concerned because of the 1981 FAA notice regarding flying within 3 miles, then the 2012 update stating 5 miles.

I'm right up the hill in Woodland Park! Lots of places to fly up here. Lets all do a drone race! :lol:

phenom3030 said:
I think I'll reach out after I build a little confidence in flying mine once I get it. lol. Since it's a Christmas gift from my wife she's planning to hold it hostage in gift wrap until Christmas time. :|

I've got a question though,

I live about 3.1 miles north of the north end of the COS airport. As advised by the FAA webpage on Unmanned aerial systems I reached out to COS via their website contact form and haven't heard back yet.
I'd like to be able to fly at home or in a field near my home without breaking any rules/laws/regulations. Anybody have any similar experiences?
Since I'm new I definitely won't be flying anywhere near 400 feet. I'm just concerned because of the 1981 FAA notice regarding flying within 3 miles, then the 2012 update stating 5 miles.

I'd stay away from COS especially with the amount of military aircraft around. I think the military wouldn't be as gentle as the FAA if you end up flying close to one of their aircraft. I'm more of a "better safe than sorry" guy when it comes to flying near airports. I'm a pilot as well as an enthusiastic copter owner, and i know i wouldn't want any of those things near an airport.

The most important part is to have fun and be safe :)

Reactions: BR80134
Received a response from Colorado Springs Airport:

14.1.212: REGULATION OF MODEL AIRCRAFT AND ROCKETS:

A. Except as authorized and regulated by Federal law or FAA regulation, it shall be unlawful for any person to fly or launch any model aircraft, model rocket, or similar device, powered by an engine, rocket type motor or similar device within the restricted area. The "restricted area" is defined as that area of the City located south of Constitution Avenue, west of the Jimmy Camp Creek, north of Fontaine Boulevard and east of Academy Boulevard. The term "model aircraft" is defined to include model rockets and free flying model airplanes, model helicopters, model dirigibles or any similar model devices, whether or not radio controlled. "Model aircraft" does not include model aircraft which are attached to the operator by rope, wire or other physical wire type attachment used to guide the model in a circular flight pattern.

B. Except as authorized and regulated by Federal law or FAA regulation, it shall be unlawful for any person to operate any model aircraft, model rocket, or similar device within the City limits higher than one thousand two hundred feet (1,200') above the ground. (Ord. 94-208; Ord. 01-42)

CASEY X PARKER
Airport Operations, Safety & Airport Security Coordinator
Colorado Springs Airport
7770 Milton E. Proby Parkway
Colorado Springs CO 80916
Work 7195501974
Cell 7193301492

I'll try to put together a visual representation when I get the chance.

So tie a rope to the Phantom and attach it to yourself...boom done! :lol:

I just got my DJI Phantom Advance drone and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. Where does everyone around here go to fly them. I live in Security Widefield area in the Windmill Mesa neighborhood just south of the airport....Grinnell and Bradley.

I just got my P3S in December and have been wondering if there's any chance of flying near Garden of the Gods. I'm up near Woodmen and Powers, and have been out to just practice at Rampart Park, Castlewood Canyone State Park (no problems from the Ranger there), and up near Divide for some footage looking south toward Pikes Peak.

Hello, recently purchased a P3S. I live east of Fountain, and have done most of my flying around there. I work in the Hospital in Woodland Park and plan on some flying up here now that the weather is warming up.

Cheers,
Shawn

I recently moved just South of Denver from FL, been here about a month and haven't had a chance to take my P3S out anywhere. Signs are posted at Garden of the Gods, no remote controlled aircraft allowed. Hoping to find a good spot to fly soon.

Bill

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues