Cold and the iPhone 6

Reaction score
It's about -3/4 here and with wind its probably colder.
My iPhone six was on 50% battery (battery and remote for drone were 100%)
After 1:26 flight the phone cutout and said it had run out of battery.
Has anyone else had this problem/is there a way to make it stop?
Thanks
Luke

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

iPhones are notorious for disliking the cold. They die even with a full charge. I use one for tracking my fell running activities and when it gets cold the phone just stops. What I did was to buy a cheap rechargeable hand warmer and strap it to the phone with an elastic band to stop it cutting out. Works so far. Might not work with the phantom though.

In the cold, I use an iPad for FPV. It doesn't cut out at all.

Reactions: lukek98
try putting the phone in a case, I have a 6 plus and my phone goes in a clear case that has port covers, it does very well in cold but the coldest I have flown is 17 degrees fahrenheit and only 2 or 3 flights. iPhones have an aluminum alloy body which allows the phone to be cooled fast due to the good conductive properties of aluminum. Your phone can lose heat fast, and it can heat up fast if exposed to an external heat source like a car heater or sitting in the sun. You need to combat the good conductive properties by getting a case that can insulate it, if only a tiny bit it will help.

All batteries drop when cold, you need to start warm, have a case to keep it warm, and (if possible) be charging it right before you fly - this will make the batteries core warmer then the phones casing.

iPhone doesn't like cold, you need to keep it warm in cold temperatures for safe working.

As a skiier this is one of my biggest problems the best solution not mentioned yet is turn airplane mode on then also turn the low battery power saver option on. (Do not use this feature if you intend to use follow me it will shut the phones GPS off) (side side note I do not own a phantom yet these are Merely things I've learned from trying to keep my phone on in sub -20 degree temperature for 4+ hours.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl