Clicking noise when battery off

Reaction score
I have done a quick search and can not seem to find a topic discussing this issue.
I have a new aftermarket battery for my 1 month old P3P (see description and Amazon link below). After my first flight with the new battery, I turned the battery off and noticed a clicking noise coming from the center of the quad/ gimbal area. It sounds like cooling metal but the noise is too regular and stops when the battery is removed (clicks approx every 1 - 2 seconds in perfect rhythm)
I have all current firmware and current Go app.

Any help will be great.

Powerextra 15.2V 4480mAh LiPo Intelligent Battery Replacement battery for DJI Phantom 3

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GZZY1B2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got a video of what you're describing? Can you reproduce this? Does this happen if you switch back to your OEM battery?

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
I have a new aftermarket battery for my 1 month old P3P

Well I am no expert where it comes to batteries - however, I wouldn't purchase a 3rd party or after market "intelligent" battery for my Phantoms. It is not possible for those batteries to function properly whenever there is upgrade via the Go App for it or even for the Phantom and controller.

Don't think for a second DJI doesn't realize people will use after market batteries and won't take some kind of action - re: software upgrades that recognize the battery is not one of theirs - hence no proper communication between the upgrade and after market battery.

Just my opinion on it since it sounds like the battery is not shutting down and is trying to activate something within the bird!

EDIT: good point and test as noted by msinger - "Does this happen if you switch back to your OEM battery"

I haven't had time to test the oem battery but if I replicate the issue I will shoot a video and post asap.

Thanks for the help!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You might want to try the OEM battery before taking the time to create a video. That'll at least rule out the idea that the 3rd party battery is causing the problem.

Also check if the click sound comes when battery is removed in hot condition and it's ok if removed in cold condition.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Sorry for the late reply. It has taken me a while to have the issue replicate.
I was not able to test the Oem battery at the time but removed the 3rd party battery and the sound stopped. When I re-inserted the 3rd party battery the sound started back up. I was able to inspect closer this time and it seems that along with the click I first heard, there is a "winding down" sound after the click, like a fan or hard drive winding down.
I am attaching a video that I took, if you listen closely in the first half of the video you can hear the whir after the clicking noise

URL]
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I was not able to test the Oem battery

Still remains to be seen if the OEM battery replicates the activity or not - you keep testing the 3rd party battery with the same results (don't want to say what that indicates --- LOL).

Sounds as before like the 3rd party battery is not shutting down like it should - try the OEM battery or if you have what's the result?

Still remains to be seen if the OEM battery replicates the activity or not - you keep testing the 3rd party battery with the same results (don't want to say what that indicates --- LOL).

Sounds as before like the 3rd party battery is not shutting down like it should - try the OEM battery or if you have what's the result?
I have this same issue with the MR. Battery 3rd party battery. THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN WITH THE OEM. the MR. Battery is going back. The lights are too dim for my liking anyway. It flies like a normal battery but for the price I don't think the risk is worth it.

I have this same issue with the MR. Battery 3rd party battery. THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN WITH THE OEM

Yes, I would say good call on ditching the 3rd party battery - I'm sure DJI software/firmware and 3rd party batteries for the most part don't communicate all that well and as you stated "not worth the risk"!

Yes, I would say good call on ditching the 3rd party battery - I'm sure DJI software/firmware and 3rd party batteries for the most part don't communicate all that well and as you stated "not worth the risk"!
especially for a measly $25 savings over an originial.. Im not math major but a $25 savings for increased risk of losing an $800 bird.. doesn't add up

Same here. I sold my 3rd party battery and even tho it was £60 and a bit more powerful then the OEM I didn't want to risk it. So I sent off for another and have 2 official OEM batteries. Not risking my bird for a £60 saving. But DJI needs to get their sh!t together on the rip off price. If 3rd party batteries can compete and even out perform the OEM At half price then you would think DJI would be able to do that. But then.... Business is all about money I guess

Sent from my Power using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: lmayes69
I've wondered about this for the longest time. I've had 4 phantoms and at least 3 of them did this. Drives me crazy, but I have never had any issues that seemed to be related. Interesting about the aftermarket batteries. I have a couple of them mixed in my battery collection, so this is eye opening. All of that said, the aftermarket batteries I have had have performed every bit as reliable as the dji ones. I've flown close to 1000 miles with no battery issues whatsoever. Knock on wood. I'd sleep better if I could figure out what that **** clicking noise is.

I see this is an older thread but I have that clicking sound on my P3A using the OEM battery or using an aftermarket battery. And it doesn't happen all the time. Seems to be random.

also noticed today i have the clicking sound when i turn off the phantom ,when i take out the battery it stops of course but if i put back in again it starts clicking again next time ill post a video

also noticed today i have the clicking sound when i turn off the phantom ,when i take out the battery it stops of course but if i put back in again it starts clicking again next time ill post a video
May I ask, are you using a dji battery or an aftermarket one?

hi well to your answer it was an aftermarket battery, but it just started doing this it was not like that at the end of last year only about a month ago it started do I have to worry that is my question and could it be the VPS system I read somewhere

May I ask, are you using a DJI battery or an aftermarket one?
hi well to your answer it was an aftermarket battery, but it just started doing this it was not like that at the end of last year only about a month ago it started do I have to worry that is my question and could it be the VPS system I read somewhere

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic