Class E question, getting prepared for part 107 certification

I went down a google rabbit hole on this question and the consensus seems to be what you stated. If hobby, in fuzzy magenta, gotta contact them. If 107, in fuzzy magenta, stay below 400ft and do not have to contact. Sure hope this is correct as most of the populated areas here are underneath the fuzzy magenta. If you get a chance to take a look at my coordinates please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Unmannedsky,

That is how it makes sense in my brain.. but.. why are the apps (hover, B4UFLY) requesting I contact/submit notification where I am located? I am under a class C outer ring and within 5 miles of a class E fuzzy magenta. So technically I am under the 1700 class C and the 700 class E. It would make sense to only have to contact if I was going to operate in the 700' and up range (I never would) but why would I need to contact if staying under 400' in the class E 700 ring. Has anything changed recently that states any flight ops within 5 miles of any airport with a tower require contact even if under the 700' E floor? The coordinates for reference on where I would like to fly:

32°26'46.2"N 90°09'08.1"W
For commercial ops, the airspace is what counts. Responsible, professional courtesy aside (operations near an airport). Hobby wise however, the 5 mile rule is similar to the ol' 333 rules; straaaight distance. Looks like you are about 3 miles west of MBO? Without the app in my hand and standing with you at the location, my bet is that MBO is what's tripping up the apps. I'm inside of a similar airport at my office location and HOVER shows me inside the airport bubble even though there is no E-transition at the airport. If hobby, NOTIFY the airport/tower, coordinate best you can and go for it. If you are commercial, make good decisions based on distance and position to the runway and steer-clear of controlled airspace.

Don't forget; 'the app said it was ok' isn't a defense and a no-fly indication based on hobby rules could cost you work in a case like this. Know the NAS and make decisions based on that.

Let me know if that helps.

I went down a google rabbit hole on this question and the consensus seems to be what you stated. If hobby, in fuzzy magenta, gotta contact them. If 107, in fuzzy magenta, stay below 400ft and do not have to contact. Sure hope this is correct as most of the populated areas here are underneath the fuzzy magenta. If you get a chance to take a look at my coordinates please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Are you hobby or commercial?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl