City flights

Reaction score
Just curious, why are people finding when it comes to city flights as far as distance with homes and buildings being obsticles with the reception on the controller? I haven't pushed mine yet, cuz I'm scare but curious as to results others have found.

Varies a lot. I can go on my balcony and get like 1+ mile if I fly and a building is in the way, the reception sucks!

I did 5.2 miles yesterday. I grabbed a friend and he drove while I flew in the passenger seat. It's a ton of fun! We are in the silver car at the bottom of the screen. I broke it up into 7 different videos but here is one of them.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A mile in the city? That's amazing. You say reception sucks but did it lose the controller?
If on balcony I can see where drone is going, so signal is good. If I stand on ground and face building in direction of where the phantom is going, the signal bars start to drop.

For me, 2800 feet with lots of houses and trees. From a park with straight line of sight at 250 feet height, 3.1 miles

yesterday flying in the city and low i was only able to get 5400 feet. Then I went another direction and got just past 9200 feet. but had to go up to almost 400 feet and stay pointed right at it. and then to get out to 10000 feet I had to bring her up some. But I didn't even want to try pushing her out any more then that. For the first time since I first had my drone addiction I finely felt satisfied. :) WIth all my others even after I do a mod and get some more out of them I'm still always wanting to get more and more. So it was pretty awesome to be a junkie and still get my fix I have been looking for and all right out of the box and with just a completely stock set up.

It's awesome that you hear stories like that. Congrats.
I too TOTALLY enjoyed flying the new P3. Some quirks around buildings.
Reflection is the biggest enemy of spread spectrum transmission.
I flew a beatup P2 that I repaired before I got this P3. It's night and day.
Unfortunately, I tried a friend's inspire yesterday in the high wind, and I am hooked.
Waiting for a crashed inspire 1 to fix now.

Unfortunately, I tried a friend's inspire yesterday in the high wind, and I am hooked.
Waiting for a crashed inspire 1 to fix now.

Oh man.. Don't tell me that! I just ordered another P3P after destroying my first one in a week. I was wondering if I should get an Inspire 1 instead of another P3P. At this time I am going to have two P3Ps and if I am still in love with them when the next insprie comes out I will prob get the Inspire 2.. Sounds like a plan.

I did 5.2 miles yesterday. I grabbed a friend and he drove while I flew in the passenger seat. It's a ton of fun! We are in the silver car at the bottom of the screen. I broke it up into 7 different videos but here is one of them.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
That's really cool. What city is this.

...when the next insprie comes out I will prob get the Inspire 2.. Sounds like a plan.

That's my plan at the moment. Hold off till they upgrade that one, and get it instead. I'll just have to be content with my P2 for a while longer (but that gives me time to save up, the Inspire 2 isn't likely to be cheap. Here in Australia an Inspire is about $5K, and I hate to think what an I2 would be.

That's slick. Did you have to hold the controller near the sunroof to get good signal strength?

Ideal would be roof mount antennas with a follow-me for solo trips. Outside the city of course.

I open the sunroof and roll down the passenger side window. I have no problems with signal strength at all so i just sit normal and fly FPV. I flew a few 6+ mile trips and a 7 mile trip last weekend. Honestly getting the driver to keep up is more difficult than flying and signal strength. Story to follow.

WARNING: If you get into this and love it like I have I must warn you. I was getting a little fancy and took it under an overpass while we went under but at a much faster speed and got a little cocky.. (Headed back to the house because I forgot an SD card so none of this is on video.. Might as well fly home right? :rolleyes:) After we made it back to the house... at least the block I live on... I was coming in hot. The live feed looked AMAZING and I said "Oh Man, You've got to see this." As soon as I said "Oh Man" he hi the breaks as I was coming up fast. I panicked and bailed up but my street has tree canopies that cover the road low enough to brush your car antenna on. Short story long.. I hit a tree and bounced the P3P about 4 ft off the ground on the first bounce and a cpl more smaller bounces. :eek: No joke it landed upright on the landing gear when it was all said and done. Also no joke.. The camera lens was busted to pieces and the gimbal was in two parts. F#$%&!!! I'm an idiot. Worst part about that trip... not having an SD card in to capture the flying. Some of my best by far! I now have a new P3P that will be an aerial camera and the old guy is getting fixed so I can get my fix. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.