Cinematic Drone Video - shot at Alentejo, Portugal w/ DJI Phantom 3 Standard

Reaction score
I spent a weekend in the Alentejo region in Portugal and took the opportunity to capture some shots of a local lake and dam. I also experimented with some sound effects in some shots to add some additional atmosphere.

This was shot with a DJI Phantom 3 Standard

Check it out below !

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I spent a weekend in the Alentejo region in Portugal and took the opportunity to capture some shots of a local lake and dam. I also experimented with some sound effects in some shots to add some additional atmosphere.

This was shot with a DJI Phantom 3 Standard

Check it out below !

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Well done.

pretty good!
i see you took it pretty high and far at some places. im amazed the standard can do that. did you mod it or not? whats the max distance you've taken it?

pretty good!
i see you took it pretty high and far at some places. im amazed the standard can do that. did you mod it or not? whats the max distance you've taken it?

Thanks ! I was pretty amazed as to how far I could fly with it during this weekend as well :). I don't have any mods. All stock. Running firmware 1.5.7 (haven't upgraded the latest one, 1.6.8, as I have read many users complaining about issue with range on that version).

For this location I got as far as 1800 ft away (500+ meters) on the jet ski shots and on the small marina shot (I was on the opposite side of the lake). I think it could go further as I wasn't getting any weak RC alerts, but the video signal was starting to drop a couple of frames and I was losing line of sight at that distance, so I returned back. Height wise I usually don't go above 80 meters (~260 ft), I think in some of these shots the highest I flew was probably 70 meters (~230 ft).

The limited range of the P3S hasn't been an issue for me yet. I prefer to fly always line of sight, and while I would have liked to have a bit more buffer in range for some of the shots on this video, I get a bit nervous still when I don't see the drone by sight (altough I'm starting to to learn to fly by looking at the map on the app and being aware of height and obstacles in the area).

The minimum distance I have covered until I lose video/RC signal is probably around 300m (980+ ft) in an area with more buildings / obstacles, but most of the time I'm flying in open space, so I don't experience those issues often. And I've had issues with the drone taking a few minutes to find enough satellites when I tried shooting in a valley in the woods. Hope it helps.

Nice video, nice composition.

Personally I would have color graded differently, and add a bit of saturation. But again, very nice !

Reactions: Nuno Barreto

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic