Christmas lights

Whoa. Is this the law, or recommendation? More than half of my flights have been AFTER dark. Orientation is easier in the dark with green lights in back and the red arms lit up in front. Wind is calmer. Also, reception is better after dark. The ionsphere does not interfere with the RC/Video transmission in the evening. Radio stations typically lower their output at night because there is no solar UV radiation, and reach the same listneners, usually more.

I'd like to know because I enjoy flying at night.

SD
recommendation. there are no laws as of yet other than registration and NFZs,.

Just realize everything is closer than you think it is (branches, houses etc). Also after you let off the stick the drone takes a second to brake. Remember this. Personally I'm really careful but every time I fly in a neighborhood I have a problem or mishap.

NorthcountrySD I believe you originally asked for the best night settings not an off topic regarding night time legalities so look at Desert Drones vid on YouTube - Long Exposures and enjoy the experience - Fly Safe

Reactions: GoodnNuff and Jogle
Whoa. Is this the law, or recommendation? More than half of my flights have been AFTER dark. Orientation is easier in the dark with green lights in back and the red arms lit up in front. Wind is calmer. Also, reception is better after dark. The ionsphere does not interfere with the RC/Video transmission in the evening. Radio stations typically lower their output at night because there is no solar UV radiation, and reach the same listneners, usually more.

I'd like to know because I enjoy flying at night.

SD

And best of all. NO BIRDS. Well, unless you include bats but they are usually low to the ground eating insects. My day flights always have at least one encounter with birds flying in the area. You never know when one may decide to fly into the drone. I tighten up every time I see a flock heading my way.

And best of all. NO BIRDS. Well, unless you include bats but they are usually low to the ground eating insects. My day flights always have at least one encounter with birds flying in the area. You never know when one may decide to fly into the drone. I tighten up every time I see a flock heading my way.

I've found the opposite. Birds are professional fliers and do it for a living. They always sense and avoid, unless it's a raptor and attacking. Shouldn't have that problem in the evening. They roost at night. Flew with a flock of geese last Sunday. They didn't seem to mind. I took my place at the end of the line. Always wondered what their view was like as they travel cross country. They are fast though. P-GPS mode would not keep up with them. They were about 340' AGL.

SD

Reactions: snowghost
Not suppose to fly after dark...

One of the video tricks is to film your "night" footage right before dusk when it's getting dark, but it's not dark yet. This way, weaker and smaller sensor cameras that can't handle darkness well can still resolve the image without grain. And later you darken it in post.

One of the video tricks is to film your "night" footage right before dusk when it's getting dark, but it's not dark yet. This way, weaker and smaller sensor cameras that can't handle darkness well can still resolve the image without grain. And later you darken it in post.
I have found to the contrary. I see the best results either in absolute nigh time darkness or sufficient available light. Dusk doesn't provide enough. Light, or no light. Low light I find to be the least optimal.

I took a few Christmas light runs in my neighborhood. My Advantage: Underground wiring.
I did run about 8pm (night), but I did each of my flights in the immediate area of the house
I was filming, so there wasn't any long runs through the neighborhood. I put the whole thing
together in post. I found you have to fly reaaally slow with smooth movements... The end result looked nice.
Front arm LEDs need to be off and I used course lock to do slow fly bys in front of the houses to keep
aiming the camera easier.

Reactions: NorthcountySD
I fly at night
1. Know the area as some above has stated. Waypoints, etc
2. ALWAYS remember, that quad IS an extension of you, and what ever happens YOU are responsible for. Fly smart.

It's my understanding that for commercial (333 exemption) there is no night flying, but currently no prohibition for recreational flyers, at this time. I have been experimenting with night time shots and I love it. I use the photo mode in manual mode and depending on the wind conditions have made exposures as long as 6 seconds so far. However, 2 or 3 second exposures are less likely to show any significant blurring. It's as close to having a tripod in the sky as any amateur could get. I have included a shot directly above my home and my neighbor's house with his Christmas light display. He loved the prints I gave him, now my other neighbors want the same. Waiting for less windy weather to take those shots. Both of these shots below were taken as 3 second exposures.
DJI_0045.JPG
DJI_0023.JPG

not supposed to fly after dark and if you are inexperienced at flying it could be unwise, telephone lines are hard to see and it could be easy to lose site of the P3 against the lights. Its your call though. Be safe what ever you do..
As long as you know the area you should be good!

The best time to photograph Christmas lights is after sunset and before last light. The weak light will give you a mild fill light to balance against the Christmas lights. There's a magic period where the sky will dim just the right amount. You want to shoot through the mix. It will last 10 minutes at most. Try and get the sky and if you can set you're white balance to tungsten the sky will turn a royal blue.

Reactions: witold
I'm going to photo my and my neighbor's house tonight. Should look pretty cool.

That would be a shame if we can't take stills at night. I have gotten some great shots using an iso of 100 and 2 to 4 second exposures. You can turn off the front led lights once you are set up. The height and distance (for cityscapes and mountain ranges) are far enough away from people any and all aircraft.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj