Chinese drone manufacturer DJI takes control over a drone & Crashes it!

A TFR notice should generate a console warning for the operator and not take over control of the aircraft. If a private jet flies over a sporting event should the jet manufacturer be able to kill power to the jet engines and force a landing?

In California most TFR notices relate to an ongoing fire where aircraft are in the area to provide suppression. Nonetheless it is routine for news operations to operate helicopters in the area so they can televise the fire.

I doubt many people realize that while I am typing this a TFR could be generated with a 30 NM radius from an "event". I would need to have a smartphone with constant access to the FAA website and be constantly checking for new TFR notices in my area. A wildfire could start up 20 miles from my location and I could be in the TFR zone that could come into effect during the time I am flying the drone. This is crazy.

I have stunt plane pilots practicing over my area at 1000 feet AGL or less and if they hit a house the effect will be far greater than a DJI drone hitting the house. But the FAA ignores the stunt pilots but wants to control users of 2 lb plastic drones. Common sense is becoming increasingly rare.

Flying in aTFR is not allowed regardless if it's a 2lb sUAS or a Cessna without authorization. If you're going to play in the Big Boy arena you need to also play by Big Boy rules and learn how to integrate safely. Anything less is reckless and unacceptable.

Those "stunt planes" are not being ignored by the FAA in the least. Those stunt planes are flying within existing regulations which is how it's a safe endeavor. That comparison to drone flight is like comparing a money to a banana.

The simple solution is a 20 MINUTE warning. NOT a 20 SECOND warning.

D
I agree.... I'd think an incremental warning starting at say 20 minutes, 15, 10, 7, 5,4,3,2,1 and then immediate AUTO LAND.

I see both sides on this one. DJI need to give more time to RTB/RTH. Not going to argue whether VLOS was possible or not...as if the drone lands on the heads of people in a busy street; due to a 20sec window, that's just not right. Sufficient time needs to be given to pilot before auto landing (and/or) RTH is initiated otherwise there's additional risks being introduced.

RoOSTA

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT