Chinese drone manufacturer DJI takes control over a drone & Crashes it!

We have also had some close calls with that Auto Land Feature which can lead to some really negative results.
As harsh as this seems it was pilot error. Time is the #1 thing we as pilots must be aware of on every flight and forgetting is not acceptable.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your phantom in the rain.
Coal

We have also had some close calls with that Auto Land Feature which can lead to some really negative results.
As harsh as this seems it was pilot error. Time is the #1 thing we as pilots must be aware of on every flight and forgetting is not acceptable.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your phantom in the rain.
Coal
You also are forgetting his BVLOS. If he was within VLOS, he would have gotten his drone back. He was able to traverse 4,000' before it sank into the sea. VLOS at best is 1,800-2000'

A simple hack and things like that wouldn’t have happened. Oh, I’m bad. :innocent:

Very distasteful comment! Even remotely suggesting someone knowingly continue to fly in a TFR is bad for our industry as a whole. TFR's are not something to play with and "circumvent" as they are in place to protect life & limb and to help mitigate risk.

The OP of the drone knew they are at fault. He knew about the TFR and most likely knew what the drone would do.
I do wish that instead of auto-landing, that when/if you enter a TFR it would auto RTH instead

I do wish that instead of auto-landing, that when/if you enter a TFR it would auto RTH instead

But any flight inside the TFR is a potential safety issue and keep in mind the aircraft doesn't know what "obstructions" etc are in it's path. The best solution is an autoland to resolve the potential conflict ASAP.

Play stupid games you win stupid prizes.

What if it Auto Landed on a Freeway?? Oh boy!
It's still 100% Pilot Error. No different than flying till Critical Battery Level and it Auto Landing.

Very distasteful comment! Even remotely suggesting someone knowingly continue to fly in a TFR is bad for our industry as a whole. TFR's are not something to play with and "circumvent" as they are in place to protect life & limb and to help mitigate risk.
That was not my intent.
My underling intent my be as distasteful. DJI in the past has let drones drop into the sea when they hit a NFZ and of course it was never DJI's fault. If they can make beginner's mode stop the drone at a certain distance, why can't they make the drone stop or a force return home. They make a good drone, but they are never at fault! In my own case, they sent me a faulty replacement. Service reps said, they agree with me, but the company would not make good on their faulty product. They have been at fault and admitted they were, but still you lose. I fly their product, but I don't care for that lying company. The less I have to do with them as a company, the better.
I have a great respect for life. I always check before I fly. Do people get hurt by more cars or drones? Should Ford control my car, because it may look bad on them if someone got hurt? I just don't like that Chinese company controlling MY DRONE, just as I wouldn't like Ford controlling my car.
Yes, BigA, you are right to make that comment if that was my purpose.

Last edited:
OP fault Yes. DJI fault no. Small no because they definitely need to improve this feature. It’s been long enough and a known aggravation to pilots. That would be Very simple patch to the firmware. Give us a choice, RTH or auto land.

Wishful thinking, not going to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhantomWetSuits
Should Ford control my car, because it may look bad on them if someone got hurt? I just don't like that Chinese company controlling MY DRONE, just as I wouldn't like Ford controlling my car.
I'm late to the party, but had to jump on the above statement. Please don't use cars, in the way you used them, as a good comparison.
A better comparison would be, if Ford cars were sold off the shelf, to 10 year olds, and driven via a remote control onto the highway, then Ford or SOMEONE should take control.

I'm late to the party, but had to jump on the above statement. Please don't use cars, in the way you used them, as a good comparison.
A better comparison would be, if Ford cars were sold off the shelf, to 10 year olds, and driven via a remote control onto the highway, then Ford or SOMEONE should take control.

Wish I could give you multiple likes.
The drone to car analogies have frustrated me here for YEARS.

Im too tired (of them) to respond anymore.

Reactions: dirkclod
Wish I could give you multiple likes.
The drone to car analogies have frustrated me here for YEARS.

Im too tired (of them) to respond anymore.
I disagree. I think it is a good analogy whether it’s like or not. A 10 year old shouldn’t be driving a car. It’s not the means by which it is operated, but the fact we are responsible for it’s operation. If 10 year olds are flying these drones, then all more there should have been some bad incidents as there definitely are with cars.
My statement was more about excepting responsibility for the operation of the drone instead of a foreign enmity messing up things that we end up paying for.

Reactions: quadrotor
I bet you my drone that the pilot didn't know a TFR was in effect at 5pm. If he knew, he wouldn't have risked it. He didn't lose track of time. At 71% battery, you have been flying 10 minutes at best. He found out when his drone told him so. So my question is, how did the drone know there was a TFR? If he didn't have a data connection, would it know about it?

I bet you my drone that the pilot didn't know a TFR was in effect at 5pm. If he knew, he wouldn't have risked it. He didn't lose track of time. At 71% battery, you have been flying 10 minutes at best. He found out when his drone told him so.
If he didn't know about it then he is still at fault for not doing his due diligence.

So my question is, how did the drone know there was a TFR? If he didn't have a data connection, would it know about it?
No it wouldn't if the last time he had a connection the update didn't already have the TFR loaded. The way I know this is... I was flying within a brand new TFR yesterday that we established for a Search & Rescue incident I was working. I had the tablet on Airplane Mode (intentional to allow the flight) and never got the first warning about the airspace I was in. I could have easily gotten a Custom DJI Unlock but time was of the essence and we couldn't afford a possible delay with email/DJI etc. Since it was OUR TFR I had full authorization to fly so I was not "circumventing" any regulations.

Reactions: Ansia
I disagree. I think it is a good analogy whether it’s like or not. A 10 year old shouldn’t be driving a car. It’s not the means by which it is operated, but the fact we are responsible for it’s operation. If 10 year olds are flying these drones, then all more there should have been some bad incidents as there definitely are with cars.
My statement was more about excepting responsibility for the operation of the drone instead of a foreign enmity messing up things that we end up paying for.

The comparison of an automobile who’s design, construction and operation is highly regulated (with an emphasis on safety) to that of a toy, by comparison, operated in the NAS amongst even higher regulated aircraft and operators is flawed ab initio in nearly any context.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl