Chicago Ordinance Still A Bit Vague....?

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

New member here and relatively new drone owner / operator.

If interested in what I pulled for any laws or ordinances, see attached files. Appears to still be a bit vague.

I called information at 311 and was transferred to the police at KORD.

Neither contact had any information and deferred to the FAA.

I did read something about a separate registration cost, and permit issuance, however if any of you have further information on Chicago / Chicago Area drone laws, ordinances, permits, registrations and/or restrictions I would love to hear about them.

Have a great weekend.

Attachments

• Chicago Drone Law.pdf
    107.5 KB · Views: 546
  • DRONE1.pdf
    229.7 KB · Views: 459
Hey everyone.

New member here and relatively new drone owner / operator.

If interested in what I pulled for any laws or ordinances, see attached files. Appears to still be a bit vague.

I called information at 311 and was transferred to the police at KORD.

Neither contact had any information and deferred to the FAA.

I did read something about a separate registration cost, and permit issuance, however if any of you have further information on Chicago / Chicago Area drone laws, ordinances, permits, registrations and/or restrictions I would love to hear about them.

Have a great weekend.
RCG, any updates? I'm from WI and will be in the area early next week. I'd love to shoot some pics/vids above the bean. Still unsure if I can fly from public property over the park.

People fly all the time over the Grant and Millennium Park complex. You need to decide what you want to shoot and have a good plan. If you want to shoot the bean, get there early morning or around sunset. Your problem shooting there wont be with the Police, it will be with others taking in the scenery. The Chicago Police Officers have zero interest in bothering you, they are in "stay fetal mode."( Second City Cop) Dont pilot from Michigan Ave. BIG mistake. Too many people that will bother you.

When I go downtown, I have a plan. I park up on Randolph and take a hike around Maggie and Peanut Park. I see who's there and who could be a problem. I then go back up to Randolph just east of Columbus. This is the highest point in the area. From this point, you can fly a very large area with great views of the City.

If you get stopped by the Police, do EXACTLY what they say. Be respectful. Dont say, "you guys dont have jurisdiction BLAH BLAH BLAH" to them. With regards to the ordinance, the Officers do not even know and ordinance even exists.

Finally, beware of building security at the Standard Oil building of the BCBS building. They believe that they can prohibit you from flying to protect the privacy of their tenants.

Just go for it. If it is sunny out, bright blue sky, and no wind, you will get the best shots you could have ever imagined.

Reactions: Myerchinize
People fly all the time over the Grant and Millennium Park complex. You need to decide what you want to shoot and have a good plan. If you want to shoot the bean, get there early morning or around sunset. Your problem shooting there wont be with the Police, it will be with others taking in the scenery. The Chicago Police Officers have zero interest in bothering you, they are in "stay fetal mode."( Second City Cop) Dont pilot from Michigan Ave. BIG mistake. Too many people that will bother you.

When I go downtown, I have a plan. I park up on Randolph and take a hike around Maggie and Peanut Park. I see who's there and who could be a problem. I then go back up to Randolph just east of Columbus. This is the highest point in the area. From this point, you can fly a very large area with great views of the City.

If you get stopped by the Police, do EXACTLY what they say. Be respectful. Dont say, "you guys dont have jurisdiction BLAH BLAH BLAH" to them. With regards to the ordinance, the Officers do not even know and ordinance even exists.

Finally, beware of building security at the Standard Oil building of the BCBS building. They believe that they can prohibit you from flying to protect the privacy of their tenants.

Just go for it. If it is sunny out, bright blue sky, and no wind, you will get the best shots you could have ever imagined.
Awesome news v tail! Thank you!

Digging in google maps now to determine a plan. I don't suppose there's any roof access in the area? That would make it really easy!

I don't suppose there's any roof access in the area?

The short answer is no. Building security is very tight in the area. And on a side note, I own a condo at Clinton and Van Buren. I have flown from the roof top deck. Drew an immediate Police response.

Reactions: Myerchinize
Flew at Millennium this morning for a customer. No issues. Two CPD cars parked at Michigan and Randolph. Didn't stop drinking their coffee.

That's awesome Vtail! Would love to see your pics/video. BTW, did you fly "at" Millenium or "over" Millenium? I missed my chance to fly while I was down there, way too many people around to fly safely. Next chance will be June 27th before I fly out of Midway to Jersey to visit family. Hopefully I can find the time to make it over there (pun intended XD).

Thanks for the insight. I've wanted to fly around millennium park but just been too scared I'd have my drone confiscated. Took it to the Adler a couple times with no problem but too worried to go to the park. I'll be going there soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav