Chicago area?

Sounds good. I have to get the drone first. Just wanted make sure that I wasn't going to get stuck with a drone and not be able to fly. I will differently let you know. I live near midway airport so no flying around my house lol.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If the advance is in your budget go for that instead. Most ppl end up getting the standard end up taking it back. The light bridge is way better and more reliable then the wifi the standard has. Plus better range

DJI just included the pro in their 10 year anniversary sale for $999 so there's a price drop similar to what they offered earlier for the standard and the advance models. :D

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's a steal ! I shoulda coulda waited for the price to drop but the pro for $999 is a hands down steal!

Plus u can get it with another battery for 1079. This is so tempting to get. Even though I have an advance lol

I wish I resisted my urge over the holidays. It would have saved me $500. Got my p3p with a free hard case backpack and 2 extra batteries for under $1500.

planning to fly today (afternoon) at Northerly island

**** wish I saw this sooner! I'll be stuck at work till 3:30-4pm if you're still out there at that time lmk... Was in Irving park by the lake yesterday but couldn't take off, kept getting compass error on the concrete blocks there... Worked fine when moved onto the beach... Very odd...

u need to be on open space to do calibration otherwise you will get some strong interference errors, i end up not going after checking the wind conditions at noon, it was ok to fly but i wasn't willing to that the risk even is just relative small). i usually fly in the loop and around it.

That's correct. You need to be in a open area away from metal objects. I perform a compass calibration from time to time at a near by forest preserve to get a good compass lock. After a good calibration you won't have to do it again unless you travel 100 miles away from where you did the calibration. Here's a pre-flight checklist I use every time before I fly. I go it off another forum and I will not take any credit for it as it isn't mine.

Attachments

• Phantom 3 Check List v2e.pdf
    197.5 KB · Views: 455
That's correct. You need to be in a open area away from metal objects. I perform a compass calibration from time to time at a near by forest preserve to get a good compass lock. After a good calibration you won't have to do it again unless you travel 100 miles away from where you did the calibration. Here's a pre-flight checklist I use every time before I fly. I go it off another forum and I will not take any credit for it as it isn't mine.
thx for sharing do you really need to check this every time before you fly, do the settings changes unexpectedly?

• Compass status • IMU values (0, 1, 1400 - 1600) • Gain values • Maximum height • RTH height • RC Exp & Gain (0,5-0, 4-0,5) • VPS on (Indoor flight but NOT over water) • Satellite status - 8+ satellites (MINIMU

No not really. I just pay attention to the compass values and make sure I have enough satellites. Also, I read if you fly low over water vps should be turned off.

I usually just recalibrate if I've travelled or if I haven't flown in 30days. But these is something in the concrete walkways on lakeshore it happened at 3 locations across lakeshore from Hyde park, to Rogers park. I think the metal reams in the foundation are what are causing the compass errors. I don't think you can get more open than a beach on one side and a lake on the other... Just be careful if your flying lakeshore drive parks and watch the compass, just wanted to give a heads up...

I usually just recalibrate if I've travelled or if I haven't flown in 30days. But these is something in the concrete walkways on lakeshore it happened at 3 locations across lakeshore from Hyde park, to Rogers park. I think the metal reams in the foundation are what are causing the compass errors. I don't think you can get more open than a beach on one side and a lake on the other... Just be careful if your flying lakeshore drive parks and watch the compass, just wanted to give a heads up...

Are you performing the compass calibration at these locations you're getting compass errors? If you have a clean compass cal from an area that is not giving you errors you should be able to start the phantom and takeoff from the locations you mentioned. What I'm saying is once you have a clean compass lock you don't have to do it again in an area that has metal objects. Just make sure to read the compass values and make sure it's within the proper range in the high metal areas.

FYI, I fly at montrose beach, northerly island, and other spots along the lake often without any compass errors.

I can't wait for warm weather to arrive. Chicago in the summer is a great place to be at. I'm hoping we can get a group together to go out and fly.

Are you performing the compass calibration at these locations you're getting compass errors? If you have a clean compass cal from an area that is not giving you errors you should be able to start the phantom and takeoff from the locations you mentioned. What I'm saying is once you have a clean compass lock you don't have to do it again in an area that has metal objects. Just make sure to read the compass values and make sure it's within the proper range in the high metal areas.

FYI, I fly at montrose beach, northerly island, and other spots along the lake often without any compass errors.

I can't wait for warm weather to arrive. Chicago in the summer is a great place to be at. I'm hoping we can get a group together to go out and fly.

No I actually had it calibrated before, but when i tried to take off at these locations the DJI pilot app gives me a "compass error" I move away from the cement walkways and onto the grass the error will just go away. I think initially it was an issue so didn't fly, came home checked everything went to a different part of the lake the next day and it did the same thing so I calibrated there and even after calibration it was giving me errors. I moved like 5ft away from the concrete and the error just went away itself... really odd...

That's strange. I'm confused you mentioned you did the calibration in the same area you were getting errors?? Anyway, it seems you fly often along the lake so find and fly where there's no errors and don't fly over the areas you know you its bad.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic